[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Goff vs. Wentz - NFL / "fantasy"

darin3

33 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the better NFL QB?

2. 2. Who will be the better FANTASY QB?

From all that I hear/read both nationally and especially locally, it's truly a 50/50 split as to who the Rams will (and/or "should") take at #1 on Thursday.

Goff is the more polished QB, a hard worker and a leader in the locker room. Makes all the throws, is agile enough in the pocket, and best of all, worked in a pro system at Cal. Some say his upside is a guy like Matt Ryan, who is a "solid NFL QB", but perhaps not worthy of the #1 pick. Do you want your franchise QB to be a "solid game manager" with lower upside?

Wentz is the physical freak, who I just heard one unnamed scout compare (in a "poor man's version") to Cam Newton, in that he lowers his shoulder when running the ball, and has the quickness/speed to burst through holes or go around edges in certain circumstances. He's got a good deep ball, solid accuracy and like Goff (and maybe more so), is a leader with a high football IQ. Of course, the knock on Wentz is the sample size, playing against competition that will be lucky to make practice squads in the NFL. But the tools are there, and the upside here is Andrew Luck, Blake Bortles or even Cam Newton if you want to dream big. Smaller school QBs like Tony Romo, Alex Smith, Joe Flacco and the aforementioned Bortles have proven that you can compete against lesser competition and still thrive in the NFL if given the proper tutelage.

So, the questions for today.... which QB will be better "NFL wise", that is, more wins/overall success?

And, which one do you think is the better FANTASY QB?

Go.

Edit: Let's assume that Goff goes to the Rams at #1 and Wentz goes #2 to Philly since that is what MOST folks think is going to come to pass.

Edited by darin3

Although I voted for Wentz on both accounts, it is a very difficult decision to make until we know their landing spots.

Edit response to edit from Darin :tup: : Wentz going to Eagles makes him the winner imho. Rams just suck more so than Philly on offense.

Edited by heehawks

Although I voted for Wentz on both accounts, it is a very difficult decision to make until we know their landing spots.

Edit response to edit from Darin :tup: : Wentz going to Eagles makes him the winner imho. Rams just suck more so than Philly on offense.

See I don't get the whole "Rams suck" thing (and yes, I know you qualified it by saying "on offense"). But they have a solid (although somewhat unspectacular) OL, one of the best young RBs in the game, and a killer, deep defense. They were a few mishaps away from making the playoffs, and beat the Seahawks twice last year and three times in the past two years.

They are lacking in terms of outside weapons, but Tavon Austin is wallowing away because there's no one to take the heat off of him. I think the Rams think that if they get a "franchise QB" to pair with their "franchise RB" and stellar defense, that they are on the cusp of being pretty damn good. I am no Rams fan but I believe that's the case.

They need to get lucky in the draft in the next 1-2 years WR and TE wise. If they can add a nice young WR, maybe Hunter Henry.... Tavon Austin will find more room as will Todd Gurley.

If anything, I think the Eagles are the "sucky" ones. :woot:

Edited by darin3

See I don't get the whole "Rams suck" thing (and yes, I know you qualified it by saying "on offense"). But they have a solid (although somewhat unspectacular) OL, one of the best young RBs in the game, and a killer, deep defense. They were a few mishaps away from making the playoffs, and beat the Seahawks twice last year and three times in the past two years.

They are lacking in terms of outside weapons, but Tavon Austin is wallowing away because there's no one to take the heat off of him. I think the Rams think that if they get a "franchise QB" to pair with their "franchise RB" and stellar defense, that they are on the cusp of being pretty damn good. I am no Rams fan but I believe that's the case.

They need to get lucky in the draft in the next 1-2 years WR and TE wise. If they can add a nice young WR, maybe Hunter Henry.... Tavon Austin will find more room as will Todd Gurley.

I don't think the Rams suck completely on offense, just saying that they suck "more so" than the Philly offense, jmo. Therefore, Wentz > Goff.

I don't think the Rams suck completely on offense, just saying that they suck "more so" than the Philly offense, jmo. Therefore, Wentz > Goff.

Just for poopies and giggles...

For now, Gurley >>>>>>> Eagles' (Mathews/Sproles) ... Eagles' WRs (J-Matt, really) >>>>> Rams' WRs (Austin) and Ertz >>>>> Kendricks. So yeah, Eagles may have better weapons.... for now.

I think people may see Flacco, Ben in Wentz and Ponder, et al in Goff

Myself, I am undecided

Ew, have there actually been Ponder comps to Goff? I keep hearing Matt Ryan, which is obviously light years better than Ponder.

I could see Wentz being a money fantasy QB if he in fact has flashes of Cam in terms of being able to run by design.

Wentz seems like more of a project to me, so I voted Goff with my answer really focused on the next 1-3 years. Wentz maybe has a higher upside than Goff but he also is more likely to turn into absolutely nothing. North Dakota State is a far cry from the brutal competition level of some of the major college conference. There's more uncertainty with Wentz.

It certainly can happen (Roethlisberger) with QBs from smaller schools but I think the majority of the recent greats come from bigger schools. Yeah then there's always the Ryan Leaf angle so I guess who knows.

For the record, I think the Rams and Eagles both screwed the pooch with their trades. How many Super Bowl winners or dynasties do you see doing what they did?

Edited by stethant
  • Like 2

Voted Wentz for both, assuming that Goff goes to LA and Wentz goes to Philly. Wentz' physical tools and intangibles are top-notch, and being able to actually sit for a couple years is huge IMO. Chances of him succeeding go way down if he's pressured into starting immediately.

Fantasy-wise, that Rams offense is still going to run through Gurley - so while good QB is necessary to keep things honest, I don't think Goff will be lighting it up most weeks.

I think neither will live up to the prices paid to move up and grab them, but I think Goff will be a servicable starter. Maybe somewhere between a Alex Smith and a Joe Flacco.

I voted Goff. I'm going to have hope that the deep pockets of Kroenke get him weapons knowing they need to excite in LA. Kroenke was a good owner here in Denver so I'm giving him the benefit of time.

Besides, they have studs on defense to help him compete.

21 votes in and I'm fairly shocked that folks think that Wentz will be responsible for more NFL wins than Goff. The Rams are a very sneaky good team and Goff is by far the more pro-ready QB. I'd bet the Rams are at or very near .500 this year and a contender in the NFC in 2-3 years. I don't know/think if the Eagles are anywhere near there, and doubt Wentz will make meaningful starts until 2018 or even 2019.

*and btw it looks like I somehow clicked the wrong button when I voted in my own poll :lol: *

Fantasy-wise, I get the Wentz love. As mentioned before, the upside for Goff is Matt Ryan... except for right now he doesn't have a Julio Jones or Tony Gonzalez (or even a Roddy White for that matter). Unless the Rams land a stud WR in the next 1-2 years, I see him as a 200-225 yard, 1-2 TD, 0-1 INT kind of QB.

Interesting to see everyone's take on this though. :tup:

The biggest problem with the Rams is that Jeff Fisher is their Head Coach.

Goff by a mile for me. Wentz has a far greater probability to be a complete bust. Not saying he will...but he is a much bigger risk and I don't buy that he is a potentially greater reward.

Each of the Mock experts at NFL.com have Goff going to the Rams. It must be known what is happening. I just don't see a good ending here.

Reminds me of the Bortles/Bridgewater debate that was had here.

Goff goes to LA and has to face really tough D's...I say he is 3 years away, and Wentz only 2.

21 votes in and I'm fairly shocked that folks think that Wentz will be responsible for more NFL wins than Goff. The Rams are a very sneaky good team and Goff is by far the more pro-ready QB. I'd bet the Rams are at or very near .500 this year and a contender in the NFC in 2-3 years. I don't know/think if the Eagles are anywhere near there, and doubt Wentz will make meaningful starts until 2018 or even 2019.

*and btw it looks like I somehow clicked the wrong button when I voted in my own poll :lol: *

Fantasy-wise, I get the Wentz love. As mentioned before, the upside for Goff is Matt Ryan... except for right now he doesn't have a Julio Jones or Tony Gonzalez (or even a Roddy White for that matter). Unless the Rams land a stud WR in the next 1-2 years, I see him as a 200-225 yard, 1-2 TD, 0-1 INT kind of QB.

Interesting to see everyone's take on this though. :tup:

Just like "better fantasy QB does not equal better NFL QB," I think you could say "better NFL QB (long-term) does not necessarily equal which QB wins more games (particularly short-term)."

• 4 weeks later...