[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

J.J. Watt’s landing spots

League_Champion

Definitely kind of an odd pick. If his goal was really to win a Super Bowl like he said it was I'm not sure that's his best option. But Nuk is there and they have an exciting young quarterback, and keeps his family in the south not too far away.  

Reportedly the Browns and Colts offered more, if those reports are true 

I heard last night on local sports that the Cardinals offered the most money, and apparently that is what JJ wanted, not winning a title. Didn't hear any details on what the other offers were, and not sure how public that info is but we all know there is tons of leaked info. Would not surprise me that it was a money move late in his career. Not that he should need to worry after making $100 million over 10 years. 

Maybe he liked the weather better in AZ, certainly a better place to play in Nov/Dec/Jan than GB, CLE, PIT, BUF. 

Maybe he liked being wooed by the owner with a private plane (don't think the people of GB, the Rooneys or Haslams have those, not sure about Pegula. 

Not sure how much him reuniting with Hopkins matters, they played on the same team but on opposite sides of the ball and its not like they played opposite each other (like say a DB/WR or OL/DL would in practice). An ESPN article I read also talks about him reuniting with Vance Joseph the Cards DC, who was the DB coach with Texans early in JJ's career, also seems like a stretch to make a connection. 

Arizona's defense is pretty good.  Gotta remember Chandler Jones was hurt most of last year, and I saw on ESPN that he and Watt lead the league in sacks since 2013.  Pairing them up - and throw in Reddick - makes for a pretty deadly pass rush combo.  Hicks is a solid LB and Simmons came on at the end of the year.  And they have one of the better secondaries in the NFL.  

Maybe it was all about money, but for some reason that doesn't seem very Watt-like.  I dunno.

The NFC-W will be a dogfight, but maybe Watt sensed Seattle losing some power, potentially with Wilson being shipped off?  Niners are a wild card.... not sure if Jimmy G can lead that team to a better-than-.500 record.

Anyways, I'm sure a lot went into the decision.  Maybe he thought Buffalo's scheme wasn't a fit.  I figured he'd love playing opposite Myles Garrett, but .... :shrug:

As I stated upthread, I think the NFC is a more winnable side.... maybe he thought so too.

Anyone wonder if he didn't want to be competing against Watson? I find that hard to believe, honestly, but I did think about it. 

I agree if the Cardinals were going to give him that kind of guaranteed money that's a great deal for him at his age and with his injury history and limited productivity recently. 

1 hour ago, stethant said:

Anyone wonder if he didn't want to be competing against Watson? I find that hard to believe, honestly, but I did think about it. 

I agree if the Cardinals were going to give him that kind of guaranteed money that's a great deal for him at his age and with his injury history and limited productivity recently. 

Completely off topic but I'm always and have always been thrown by your name and profile pic.  What does the name mean? And the profile pic looks exactly like a lady that used to teach in my school where I teach. Crazy spot on!  

12 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I heard last night on local sports that the Cardinals offered the most money, and apparently that is what JJ wanted, not winning a title. Didn't hear any details on what the other offers were, and not sure how public that info is but we all know there is tons of leaked info. Would not surprise me that it was a money move late in his career. Not that he should need to worry after making $100 million over 10 years. 

Maybe he liked the weather better in AZ, certainly a better place to play in Nov/Dec/Jan than GB, CLE, PIT, BUF. 

Maybe he liked being wooed by the owner with a private plane (don't think the people of GB, the Rooneys or Haslams have those, not sure about Pegula. 

Not sure how much him reuniting with Hopkins matters, they played on the same team but on opposite sides of the ball and its not like they played opposite each other (like say a DB/WR or OL/DL would in practice). An ESPN article I read also talks about him reuniting with Vance Joseph the Cards DC, who was the DB coach with Texans early in JJ's career, also seems like a stretch to make a connection. 

why are you acting like a jilted bride?

11 hours ago, loaf said:

why are you acting like a jilted bride?

I'm not acting like anything, just commenting on the move. Seemed odd he talked about one of the criteria being make a run at the SB, then he signed with a team who didn't even make the playoffs and plays in a division where just making the playoffs is a challenge. I certainly didn't want the Browns to sign him to a deal like that. 

3 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I'm not acting like anything, just commenting on the move. Seemed odd he talked about one of the criteria being make a run at the SB, then he signed with a team who didn't even make the playoffs and plays in a division where just making the playoffs is a challenge. I certainly didn't want the Browns to sign him to a deal like that. 

Sorry man, I sensed sour grapes a bit myself.

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Sorry man, I sensed sour grapes a bit myself.

I get it, I know I do come across that way when I don't intend to, just my sourpuss attitude. ;)  I was also hearing reports that claimed both IND and CLE offered as much or more than AZ, and he still went with AZ. And that had me a bit miffed. 

I see some particulars are coming out about the contract, from Huddle player news on home page

"Watt's two-year deal includes a $12 million signing bonus, a $14.5 million base salary in 2021, $13.5 million base salary in 2022 and a maximum of $31 million. He can earn $3 million in incentives for sacks. If he gets 10 sacks in 2021, it's worth $1 million with a $1 million escalator in 2022. Ten sacks in 2022 nets $1 million as well."

Initial reports said $23M guaranteed, I'd expect that to be the signing bonus and first year salary, but that total is $26.5M 

On 3/2/2021 at 8:21 PM, irish said:

Completely off topic but I'm always and have always been thrown by your name and profile pic.  What does the name mean? And the profile pic looks exactly like a lady that used to teach in my school where I teach. Crazy spot on!  

Well the name is made up and the picture was straight off the Google. After I got married the wife was displeased with my Main League team picture - of the fat hairy pig Ron Jeremy. I made some comment like what do you think we do in FFL sit around drinking tea like old ladies? and she said yeah maybe you should....so here we are.

Honestly looking at Uncle Ronny for years was getting old.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stethant said:

Well the name is made up and the picture was straight off the Google. After I got married the wife was displeased with my Main League team picture - of the fat hairy pig Ron Jeremy. I made some comment like what do you think we do in FFL sit around drinking tea like old ladies? and she said yeah maybe you should....so here we are.

Honestly looking at Uncle Ronny for years was getting old.

I saw Ron Jeremy outside of a movie theater in SoCal maybe 15-16 years ago.  He was just as short, fat and troll-like as he appears on the screen.