[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2022 NFL Draft

League_Champion

On 4/28/2022 at 10:03 PM, League_Champion said:

Good trade for the Eagles. They weren't going get an AJ Brown at 18. They needed a true #1. 

No excuses for Jalen Hurts anymore.  Back when AJ was being rumored to be on the market, I was hoping the Jets would deal. 

But that unexpected WR run in rd 1 clearly explains what is going on.  And it was unexpected only by us and not by NFL Execs. 

WR contracts are on a bizarre juiced-up high right now.  Many of these deals will not be sustainable in the long run and, just like what happened to ridiculous RB contracts, the other end of the cycle will be a drop off down the road.   This is why you saw the incredible WR run in rd 1.  And it surely was not unexpected by insiders.

It's why the Jets declined reportedly very good offers and took Garrett Wilson at 10.  Jets get Wilson for 5 yrs at affordable, no.. discount, rates. It's why NO shockingly traded up a second time in order to get Olave @Big John, especially after rejecting the high priced WR boom created by some teams.  Some teams are buying in to the very high WR price hike and others seem to be opting out.  And I'm happy for @Big John because Watson could be one of the best of them in the long run, so no worries there for GB.

Edited by Dcat

On 4/28/2022 at 10:15 PM, League_Champion said:

That pick saved their draft because I don't know what the hell they were thinking by trading up for Olave. 

On 4/28/2022 at 10:17 PM, millworkguy said:

Maybe more of salary cap issue,  they get him for a reasonable amount for 4 years

plus the 5th year option is still way below market for a stud.  If you believe Olave is the future stud of the draft and you can get him at bargain basement cost for the next 5 yrs, you absolutely trade up again.  The WR market is insane at the moment and this frees the Saints and many teams in that first round WR run from suffering its consequences for a bit.  I don't think the wild escalation will be sustainable in the long run. Just a hunch.

Edited by Dcat

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

plus the 5th year option is still way below market for a stud.  If you believe Olave is the future stud of the draft and you can get him at bargain basement cost for the next 5 yrs, you absolutely trade up again.  

There were better receivers on the board, they didn't have to trade up, Olave would of been there. 

Congratulations on your Jets, that was one of the best drafts I've ever seen. They nailed it. 

On 4/28/2022 at 10:45 PM, irish said:

What did Dallas just do?  Who the hell is Tyler Smith?  Why didn't they go Linderbaum, Johnson or Dean?

projected 2nd/3rd rd mauling OT.  Needs a lot of refinement but he is a beast.  Let's put it this way... he's not happy until his opponent is on the ground. Might be a penalty machine.  

I pegged him early 2nd rd., but some thought he could be a day 1.  They were right.  I picked him for Jets in rd 2 in a couple of GM Mock drafts.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/InexperiencedGorgeousFallowdeer-mobile.mp4

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FondElaborateKiskadee-mobile.mp4

Edited by Dcat
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2022 at 11:12 PM, Shaft said:

Yup, last year they got Wilson, Moore, Tucker, and Carter. The Jets might be fun to watch the next few years.

And my friends, for those of you in Dynasty leagues.......

When was the last time a NY Jet was the #1 overall Dynasty pick?

Welcome Breece Hall..  

I am 63 yrs old.  This is the best NY jets draft I have ever witnessed.  Now of course, it needs to show on the field and a lot depends on last year's #3 pick, which I am hoping we won't regret.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 7:39 PM, DMD said:

I bet Hall still gets drafted as a RB2 - first rookie RB drafted usually does. Carter takes a fall back to RB4 territory or deeper. All depends on what Hall looks like in preseason. But a disappointing landing spot for Hall and a major stiff arm to Carter.

not disappointing to me  :yay:

On 4/29/2022 at 7:50 PM, DMD said:

In dynasty? That's tough. NYJ O-line is better but still not great. Need to see where Isaiah Spiller, Brian Robinson and James Cook end up. But the devaluation of the RB and the rise of WR making me rethink the norms of the past. 

Jets will be a run first team. 

On 4/29/2022 at 7:52 PM, Bobby Brown said:

They were never going to go into the season with him as a work horse.  What this says to me is that Chris Carson's career might be over with that neck injury.  

Yep confirmed by coach Carroll, Carson's ability to play is very much in question at this point, and they needed somebody to fill the lead back role. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/30/uncertainty-about-chris-carsons-future-led-seahawks-to-kenneth-walker/

3 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Yep confirmed by coach Carroll, Carson's ability to play is very much in question at this point, and they needed somebody to fill the lead back role. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/30/uncertainty-about-chris-carsons-future-led-seahawks-to-kenneth-walker/

Better watch it Drew Lock might lose his spot to Levi Lewis. He did well for us over here at ULL. Signed as a UDFA. 

• Like 1

On 4/30/2022 at 1:06 PM, Big John said:

Haven't teams learned not to draft kickers this early? 

I assume that was in regard to the Browns taking LSU's Cade York in the 4th round. We desperately need a kicker, and have gone thru numerous castoffs from other teams over the last few years. Sounds like some of their trading with picks gave them the type of picks they needed to get him before another team (talk of Cowboys interest) could grab him. Several local sports writers thought it was a good move, and one was even suggesting they grab him before the draft. 

Unfortunately both the articles I had read earlier at cleveland.com are not in their "subscriber exclusive" area.

On 5/1/2022 at 1:20 AM, purplemonster said:

Even better do like the Vikings did. Draft a kicker 5th, Carlsen, cut him prematurely after missing a few kicks, and he goes on to be a stud for the Raiders. 

Vikings took a kicker 5th......oh you mean 5th round.... Sorry one of my pet peeves with draft notations, too often players are referred to as the #1 pick when they are simply a first round pick, or a specific team's first draft pick. There's a reason the absolute draft pick number or round.pick notations are commonly used. 

Yes it was foolish to cut Carlson after just a couple of games because he missed some kicks. I doubt the Browns will do that. 

• Confused 1

I keep seeing so many comments saying Saints made a horrible pick with Penning. Unless im missing something I dont see how it was horrible. I know he needs some refining but Marrone, Strief, and Ramczyk will help him clean up his bad points. Any of you think the same or think that pick was really bad?

15 minutes ago, CrazyCajun said:

I keep seeing so many comments saying Saints made a horrible pick with Penning. Unless im missing something I dont see how it was horrible. I know he needs some refining but Marrone, Strief, and Ramczyk will help him clean up his bad points. Any of you think the same or think that pick was really bad?

All in all I thought the Saints had a really strong draft. I do think they reached for Olave, especially with Williams on the board but time will tell. I like the Penning pick, it was an area of need that needed to be addressed. 

• Like 1