[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alvin Kamara's trial date set for March 1

League_Champion

I picked him up round 2 in a 12 team (2.04? It was early 2) and I figured that was a little below where he "should" have gone by a few spots.  I was ecstatic that I got a 1st round RB in round 2.

So, I think it was almost entirely baked in that he wasnt going to lose time this season, or he'd have dropped further to late 2.   

Anyway, while i am pleased, I expected this to be the case. 

I never expected a trial to happen during the NFL season, seems that many courts are willing to make exceptions for celebrity types. I recall reading the same thing when the one civil lawsuit against DeShaun Watson wasn't settled, talk was the trial would occur in February at the earliest, after the SB. 

I cannot imagine one of us assaulting somebody, getting arrest and having our court case wait over a year. But then maybe the courts are all just really backed up. Thankfully I don't have a lot of experience with the criminal just system. ;) 

34 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I never expected a trial to happen during the NFL season, seems that many courts are willing to make exceptions for celebrity types. I recall reading the same thing when the one civil lawsuit against DeShaun Watson wasn't settled, talk was the trial would occur in February at the earliest, after the SB. 

I cannot imagine one of us assaulting somebody, getting arrest and having our court case wait over a year. But then maybe the courts are all just really backed up. Thankfully I don't have a lot of experience with the criminal just system. ;) 

I dont know much about other jurisdictions, but I can speak for NY a bit in that waiting one year for an assault  case to go to trial is rather fast. 

• 2 months later...

I wish these "news" stories would have a little information about something other than the event that happened almost a year ago now which has been reported on many times. 

Like you know, what does it mean for the defendants to not even show up for this court date? And what was expected to happen, how does that impact the case going forward.

As for the "why are they fighting like its to the death" same reason people whip out a gun and start shooting at others. They have no regard and respect for life. Possibly not even their own. 

On 2/4/2023 at 5:59 PM, purplemonster said:

I don't understand why people are fighting like it's to the death. There is zero reason to kick a guy when he is down like that and stomp on him. Super dangerous, unnecessary, and cowardly. Bad parenting or something. Kamara hit him but it was mostly his posse that did the damage 

I am more of a boxing guy than an MMA guy. That being said , I respect the abilities of MMA fighters and I enjoy watching a card if I am around. The only thing I dont like is when they just pummel an unconscious guys head of the Matt as many times as they can before the ref can stop them . If the fight isnt over and the opponent looks like hes going to get up , its one thing but free shots to the head of an out cold fighter is just ridiculous whether its a street fight or a sanctioned one  

43 minutes ago, whomper said:

I am more of a boxing guy than an MMA guy. That being said , I respect the abilities of MMA fighters and I enjoy watching a card if I am around. The only thing I dont like is when they just pummel an unconscious guys head of the Matt as many times as they can before the ref can stop them . If the fight isnt over and the opponent looks like hes going to get up , its one thing but free shots to the head of an out cold fighter is just ridiculous whether its a street fight or a sanctioned one  

When you have like 8 guys and surrounding a guy on the ground wtf are you doing stomping on his head.  You aren't trying to kill somebody or cause them to be a vegetable for the rest of their life. I don't understand. And it screws up your life liability wise. I am not saying I was not an idiot when I was younger too but I wasn't stomping on some guys head with 8 of my friends either. 

As far as MMA, I agree. Of course there is always the 1/100 chance the guy gets up so they say keep punching until they physically push you off but I don't need to see Ngannou with a flying hammer fist to a guy clearly unconscious on the ground either. 

Edited by purplemonster

It's really such a crazy concept to me. I grew up where you just let a man handle his business on his own. If he needs help, you help break it up. I've gotten into fights (when I was young & stupid) because I was with somebody, but never us piling on a person. Not saying this is what happened, but honestly, what do you do if someone provokes a fight with you, you punch them and then a bunch of your buddies decide to gang in on the guy. That's just absolutely nuts to me & downright scary because this mentality is not all that uncommon.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rajncajn said:

It's really such a crazy concept to me. I grew up where you just let a man handle his business on his own. If he needs help, you help break it up. I've gotten into fights (when I was young & stupid) because I was with somebody, but never us piling on a person. Not saying this is what happened, but honestly, what do you do if someone provokes a fight with you, you punch them and then a bunch of your buddies decide to gang in on the guy. That's just absolutely nuts to me & downright scary because this mentality is not all that uncommon.

In another lifetime, when I was in my late teens, we were able to patronize bars because of the grandfather clause in place at the time.  Long story short, after a night a drinking excessively, as young (and sometimes old) idiots will do, some drunken fool started making some obscene comments to my friend's GF at the time.  The bar was closing so it went into the parking lot. The moron was by himself, there was about 5 of us, not including my friend's GF.

You see where this is going. Well, in a flash the guy was on the ground getting the chit beat out of him by my friend. None of the rest of us joined in, mainly because he didn't need any help, but also because it just wasn't customary to do so, to your point. Had our friend been on the losing side of that fight, we surely would have jumped in, but that wasn't the case.

Unfortunately for that ace hall, my friend wasn't satisfied with a regular ass kicking.  He got up and started kicking him in the head, hard and repeatedly, it was scary. The guy was becoming unconscious, but my friend kept going...he was out of control.  The rest of us were kind of paralyzed, but then I finally had to tackle him to make him stop.  I took a couple of punches from him myself for that, but I think I actually might have saved the guy's life.  It really shook me up seeing that, and that night I vowed to never let anything like that happen again if I could help it.

The guy certainly had an ass kicking coming to him, but anything beyond that was unnecessary.  Back in the day, the idea was to teach somebody a lesson, not to kill them for farksake, and you almost never saw anybody get swarmed like you see now.  The punishment needs to fit the crime, it doesn't need to go an inch beyond it.

Edited by Running With Daboll

1 hour ago, Running With Daboll said:

The guy certainly had an ass kicking coming to him, but anything beyond that was unnecessary.  Back in the day, the idea was to teach somebody a lesson, not to kill them for farksake, and you almost never saw anybody get swarmed like you see now.  The punishment needs to fit the crime, it doesn't need to go an inch beyond it.

Yeah, that's scary. You have to back off once the threat is eliminated. If someone is down and obviously unable to defend themselves then it's over. 

I've seen a lot of this during my early years in the Military. Civilians would love to pick bar fights with us, which was typically a huge mistake on their behalf. But I've seen guys beat to the edge of death which at the time was scary as hell. Alcohol, anger and adrenaline is a bad mix. 

Kamara had no business getting involved. He should of walked right past the gentleman like nothing happened. In fact his friends should never of allowed Kamara to be in that position. 

3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Yeah, that's scary. You have to back off once the threat is eliminated. If someone is down and obviously unable to defend themselves then it's over. 

I've seen a lot of this during my early years in the Military. Civilians would love to pick bar fights with us, which was typically a huge mistake on their behalf. But I've seen guys beat to the edge of death which at the time was scary as hell. Alcohol, anger and adrenaline is a bad mix. 

Kamara had no business getting involved. He should of walked right past the gentleman like nothing happened. In fact his friends should never of allowed Kamara to be in that position. 

Get friends with some sense wouldn't hurt too. Idiot friends, especially if you are a wealthy target like Kamara, is an enormous liability. 

• Like 1

Its pretty simple for me, fight to defend yourself. That's it. Once the threat is neutralized you're done. Even a one-on-one with a guy lying on the ground being repeatedly stomped is just wrong. You may think the person deserves it, but the law is generally not going to support you. 

Not sure if there was drugs or alcohol involved with these folks including Kamara who decided this guy needed to be stomped for daring to try and get on an elevator with them. 

Justice should also be swifter, but when you've got money and fancy attorneys things work to your advantage. If a homeless guy did this to some celebrity he'd already be convicted and serving time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Its pretty simple for me, fight to defend yourself. That's it. Once the threat is neutralized you're done.

Stevethebrawler!

4 hours ago, stevegrab said:

If a homeless guy did this to some celebrity he'd already be convicted and serving time. 

Unless it was in philly or Manhattan.    Then he'd be out on bail, sans cash.  

22 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Alcohol, anger and adrenaline is a bad mix

Always has been, always will be.  "Beer muscles" is a far too common phenomena, and should be eliminated wherever possible.  For example, I'm one person that is in favor of eliminating alcoholic beverages from ALL sporting events, and that includes tail gating. It might sound harsh, but if you want to drink, you can do it at home, there's no need to pour gas on a fire.

14 minutes ago, Running With Daboll said:

Always has been, always will be.  "Beer muscles" is a far too common phenomena, and should be eliminated wherever possible.  For example, I'm one person that is in favor of eliminating alcoholic beverages from ALL sporting events, and that includes tail gating. It might sound harsh, but if you want to drink, you can do it at home, there's no need to pour gas on a fire.

Yes that's harsh and will never happen, far too much money being made and far too many fans who attend and want to drink. I've attended quite a few motorsports events, from Indy Car to the pinnacle of motorcycle road racing the MotoGP series. I've attended other less popular but still heavily attended races. Fights and violence at such events is rare compared to some other sports, especially what I saw during the period I had Browns season tickets. (Also attended a lot of Indians games during the 90s and rarely saw fights.) Plus most American sports pale in comparison to the violence in European soccer matches. 

How about if you cannot handle drinking and act like an ass you just don't drink in public. 

Just now, stevegrab said:

Yes that's harsh and will never happen, far too much money being made and far too many fans who attend and want to drink. I've attended quite a few motorsports events, from Indy Car to the pinnacle of motorcycle road racing the MotoGP series. I've attended other less popular but still heavily attended races. Fights and violence at such events is rare compared to some other sports, especially what I saw during the period I had Browns season tickets. (Also attended a lot of Indians games during the 90s and rarely saw fights.) Plus most American sports pale in comparison to the violence in European soccer matches. 

How about if you cannot handle drinking and act like an ass you just don't drink in public. 

"Harsh" as compared to what though? 

Taking alcohol out of the equation for "adults" for a few hours, is tantamount to taking candy away from your kids hours before their bedtime.

Yes, the lost revenue is always at the forefront of any discussion surrounding this issue, but when we take the temperature of the country these days, and the fact that there is division virtually everywhere, it doesn't take a giant leap to realize that that just about any situation could lead to disaster.  IMO, a proactive stance on this is the way to go, and after a relatively short period of time, fans will acclimate to it, grudgingly accept it, and still remain patrons of the games.

After all, it's supposed to be about the game itself, right?

12 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I am, however, in favor of allowing cannabis infused people at sporting events, as they are by FAR more likely to display much better behavior by comparison.  Then there's the added benefit of increased concession stand sales, brought on by a multitude with the munchies. 🥨🌭🍕🍟  That should be enough to compensate for the loss of alcohol sales, might even exceed it. 😁

Sorry but your dream of banning alcohol from sporting events won't happen. Besides which it isn't going to solve the problems of drunk idiots beating other people beyond what was necessary. Certainly had nothing to do with Kamara and his posse. 

Its just another form of cancel culture. 

I don't disagree on the cannabis angle, but that's still illegal in many places, including quite a few places with sporting events. 

• Confused 1