[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

QB contracts

purplemonster

Just noticing a trend here, of the final eight teams:

Chiefs-Mahomes. Expensive but awesome.

Bills-Allen. Fairly expensive but also very good (tailed off at the end).

Cowboys- Dak. Relatively expensive.

Bengals-Burrow. rookie contract.

Giants-Jones. rookie c.

Jaguars -Lawrence. rookie c.

Niners- Rookie c. and very cheap Garoppolo contract.

Eagles - Hurts rookie c.

That's 5 out of 8 rookie contracts essentially, and 2 going to fairly elite QB's.

My question is is there truly value in 'kind of good' quarterbacks but not elite like Lamar, Cousins etc? Maybe for winning games I don't know about Super Bowls. This is a one-year sample and I haven't compared other years. 

Edited by purplemonster

Stafford was one of those QB's!  So it can happen.  I would even go as far as saying Brady was one of those QB's when he won with TB.   I believe it still comes down to very good defenses and coaching.  If you look at those type of QB's that won in the recent past, they all had very good defenses and at the time highly regarded coaching.   It will be interesting to see what happens to the Eagles, Jaguars, and Bengals once their QB's get paid.  What are the Giants going to do with Jones?  They have a very good coach but the defense is not upper echelon.  The Bills are already starting to show chinks in the armor.

• Like 1

It does seem that we've swung to the level of elite QB being a real need for a title. Having them on a good (or even rookie) contract can help even more as you build a roster around them.

I'm waiting for the Browns investment to pay dividends, 3 first round picks, a massive fully guaranteed contract, and a big load of baggage. Anything short of a deep playoff run in the next 2 seasons is a bust. Not sure I see it with the other top teams in the AFC. 

1 hour ago, gilthorp said:

The Jags are already in trouble with the cap, so it's going to be a long road for them to stay prominent, especially if they have to back up the truck for Lawrence.

They could be just a few pieces away. If Ridley has his head on straight that's a great addition 

Think I read somewhere there may be a market correction on new QB contracts.  Teams may not value '2nd tier' QBs at a % of the cap as much as they used to.  So free agents like Daniel Jones and Geno Smith will make interesting case studies.

Edited by Bobby Brown

14 hours ago, Bobby Brown said:

Think I read somewhere there may be a market correction on new QB contracts.  Teams may not value '2nd tier' QBs at a % of the cap as much as they used to.  So free agents like Daniel Jones and Geno Smith will make interesting case studies.

I hope that's the case.  If the NYG offer Jones anything above 3 years...75 million, then they would be making a huge mistake.  Even THAT contract offer would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Running With Daboll said:

If the NYG offer Jones anything above 3 years...75 million, then they would be making a huge mistake.  Even THAT contract offer would leave a bad taste in my mouth.

I feel like they have no choice but to pony up for DJ. I doubt they're ready for another tear it down rebuild. Jones has them by the walnuts, he's getting paid. 

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, League_Champion said:

Yep, a preposterously large fully guaranteed contract, $46M salary and almost $9M in bonus, total just under $55M cap hit. Didn't just pass the old record, but shattered it by nearly 50%.

We'll see what he can do with a full year. But I still think it was a stupid trade, brought a lot of bad press to the team. Combine that with the lost draft picks and massive contract that will make signing and keeping others difficult. I have my doubts about their ability to make a deep playoff run, the division and AFC in general is much better than when we got in and beat PIT a few years ago. Anybody picture them playing in a SB in the next 4 seasons? 

11 hours ago, stevegrab said:

Yep, a preposterously large fully guaranteed contract, $46M salary and almost $9M in bonus, total just under $55M cap hit. Didn't just pass the old record, but shattered it by nearly 50%.

We'll see what he can do with a full year. But I still think it was a stupid trade, brought a lot of bad press to the team. Combine that with the lost draft picks and massive contract that will make signing and keeping others difficult. I have my doubts about their ability to make a deep playoff run, the division and AFC in general is much better than when we got in and beat PIT a few years ago. Anybody picture them playing in a SB in the next 4 seasons? 

Basically only a SB would make this a good trade. From a PR standpoint, it's awful