[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Nothing says credibility like.....

Bobby Brown

18 hours ago, gilthorp said:

It doesn't matter to the sheeple.

"Among Fox News viewers specifically, 50 percent said these revelations had no effect on their belief that the 2020 election was stolen, according to a poll of American adults from Maru/Blue for Variety in March. However, 13 percent said they no longer believed the election was stolen, and 21 percent of Fox News viewers who were aware of the lawsuit said they trusted the network less following the revelations from the texts and Murdoch’s deposition."

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/polls-fox-dominion-settlement-misinformation-media-trust/

It's increasingly clear that there is a significant amount of people in the modern day 'conservative' movement who have no issue being swindled, duped, and manipulated. As long as they are being told a story they want to hear.

Some people were angry that Dominion settled instead of making Fox executives, hosts and even owner Rupert Murdoch testify that they lied and knew they were lying. I never felt that would matter to most of their viewers. Most would probably just get angry and turn off Fox for a more right wing outlet like OAN/Newsmax, the exact thing the Fox people were trying to prevent when they decided to start lying.

Bias is present in lot of media, I have no illusions that CNN or MSNBC are perfect and pure. But how people can get their "news" somewhere that admits they lie to keep viewers, and pretend it doesn't happen (or that "the left is as bad or worse") is beyond me. 

I will also never understand how an outlet with such big ratings can be considered outside the main stream media (MSM) that the right likes to bash endlessly. "The MSM lies constantly attacking Trump and Conservatives" is a regular rebuttal to any point you make about Fox spreading lies.

Oh well, maybe the $787.5 million settlement and future ones will teach Fox some kind of lesson, or just destroy it and its owners/leaders.

• Like 1

I guess I fall into the who cares group.  A friend of mine used to work for ABC and one night while a group of us were playing poker he was talking about how the news is all spoon fed bs.  With the exception of the local stories, all the national news comes in from Reuters ready to load on their teleprompters.  They don't even see it before they read it live.  And nobody reviews or edits it; when it comes to possible mistakes they simply don't care.  He talked a lot more about the news and sources, many of which are not vetted, and that they've read stuff live even knowing it was false.  It was actually kind of comical to hear him talk about it.  Reminded me of the movie Idiocracy.  

And when it comes to politics, who wins/loses at that level comes down to people who's names we'll never know.  I've got interesting stories about that too.  Safe to say, I have no faith in politics or the media.

To me - partisan spins on politics is one thing I can handle. It's there, and if you really care about an issue, it's up to me to fact check and use my critical thinking skills. 

An outright assault on democracy is something completely different, and nothing I believe any of us are really capable of handling. What I do know is the sheeple that I know well and are either family members or friends/neighbors, this Fux News thing makes zero impact on them, and I feel like it's finally titled, and when the former President claimed he would go scorched earth, he has...only to line his pockets. 

This country is in deep doo doo from both sides. I hate that we've gotten here. My centrist, and what I thought was a logical view on things, no longer is a viable go forward unless we get that 3/4 party system in place. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1fastdoc said:

I guess I fall into the who cares group.  A friend of mine used to work for ABC and one night while a group of us were playing poker he was talking about how the news is all spoon fed bs.  With the exception of the local stories, all the national news comes in from Reuters ready to load on their teleprompters.  They don't even see it before they read it live.  And nobody reviews or edits it; when it comes to possible mistakes they simply don't care.  He talked a lot more about the news and sources, many of which are not vetted, and that they've read stuff live even knowing it was false.  It was actually kind of comical to hear him talk about it.  Reminded me of the movie Idiocracy.  

And when it comes to politics, who wins/loses at that level comes down to people who's names we'll never know.  I've got interesting stories about that too.  Safe to say, I have no faith in politics or the media.

Should we be expecting ABC to pay someone $800 million in the near future for a settlement?   I fall into the care category.  Your example doesn't seem to be at all equivalent to belaboring a lie for multiple years in attempt to undermine the results of a democratic election.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bobby Brown said:

Don Lemon gone from CNN also.  Both steps in the right direction.

Yet there's still a mountain to climb. It's not so much that I mind partisan political media, I just prefer the mainstream outlets stay out of the pig slop. They've engaged in it for far too long now.

Never cared for either of the guys, so I never watched. Neither of them ever told me what to be mad about, so they'll just be replaced. Probably a Jesse on one end, and a Caitlin on the other. 

Both sides so equally at fault, do I have that right? 

5 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

Never cared for either of the guys, so I never watched. Neither of them ever told me what to be mad about, so they'll just be replaced. Probably a Jesse on one end, and a Caitlin on the other. 

Both sides so equally at fault, do I have that right? 

Throw in a Maddow for good measure? Apparently Dan Bongino will no longer shill for Fox either, so maybe Fox is trying to tighten up their image. With Hannity on there still I'm not sure that's even possible. I guess for Fox that would be like getting rid of Anderson Cooper.

I find it amusing how many are acting like Tucker was fired for lying. He was told to lie, by his bosses, as were all the hosts. They lied to protect their ratings. Now that they've fired Tucker his followers are likely to turn off Fox and do just what the media giant feared, tune into more right wing outlets like OANN and Newsmax that cater even more to the MAGA beliefs.

What does Fox gain by getting rid of Tucker now. It is a matter of not having to worry about lawsuits against him going forward? They're not saving face, because the executives and owner himself who agreed with this plan to peddle lies are still there pulling the strings.

As for the "they all do it", I don't know of any other media outlet that was so willing to carry such a big lie for so long. And who made sure that more proof didn't come out in court, or have to admit on air that they lied. (Settlement barely touches on the "we acknowledge the courts claim that some of what we said was false")

29 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I find it amusing how many are acting like Tucker was fired for lying. He was told to lie, by his bosses, as were all the hosts. They lied to protect their ratings. Now that they've fired Tucker his followers are likely to turn off Fox and do just what the media giant feared, tune into more right wing outlets like OANN and Newsmax that cater even more to the MAGA beliefs.

What does Fox gain by getting rid of Tucker now. It is a matter of not having to worry about lawsuits against him going forward? They're not saving face, because the executives and owner himself who agreed with this plan to peddle lies are still there pulling the strings.

As for the "they all do it", I don't know of any other media outlet that was so willing to carry such a big lie for so long. And who made sure that more proof didn't come out in court, or have to admit on air that they lied. (Settlement barely touches on the "we acknowledge the courts claim that some of what we said was false")

The only difference between the Fox lie and the other lies is that there was an actual entity willing to file a grievance and an actual law suit and jury willing to find in their favor. Don't ever kid yourself. Media outlets feed you bullmanure that they know not to be true all the time.

41 minutes ago, rajncajn said:

The only difference between the Fox lie and the other lies is that there was an actual entity willing to file a grievance and an actual law suit and jury willing to find in their favor. Don't ever kid yourself. Media outlets feed you bullmanure that they know not to be true all the time.

Lol.  It was the largest media settlement in US history with the second closest one being a fraction of the monetary sum.  

You know....The only difference between the Japanese internment camps and Jewish concentration camps was a genocide.  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby Brown said:

Lol.  It was the largest media settlement in US history with the second closest one being a fraction of the monetary sum.  

You know....The only difference between the Japanese internment camps and Jewish concentration camps was a genocide.  

What part of "actual entity" did you not understand? It's easy to feed bullmanure when it's just generic crap to fuel a narrative and rile up the morons who are willing to eat it. It's a different story when the bullmanure specifically points at an individual or company. But I'm guessing you knew the difference already. Or at least I hope you do.

Edited by rajncajn
  • Like 1

"The only difference".....oh my. I won't really go into details, and perhaps you didn't mean what you typed, so you can always turn around your statement if you'd like.

Fux News carried the lie and ran with it day after day, week after week, month after month offering red juicy meat they knew was not only false, but a conspiracy breeding ground. Each and every day. A lie that is a direct attack on our democracy. There is no "the only difference" here. None.

When someone stood up and told them to stop, they didn't. 

You really think it is a both sides thing of equal proportions. :doh:

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, gilthorp said:

"The only difference".....oh my. I won't really go into details, and perhaps you didn't mean what you typed, so you can always turn around your statement if you'd like.

Fux News carried the lie and ran with it day after day, week after week, month after month offering red juicy meat they knew was not only false, but a conspiracy breeding ground. Each and every day. A lie that is a direct attack on our democracy. There is no "the only difference" here. None.

When someone stood up and told them to stop, they didn't. 

You really think it is a both sides thing of equal proportions. :doh:

If that's what you choose to believe it's not worth arguing with you over and I'm not going to start getting in the mud with any of you over it either. I see it differently and we all see things through our own lens.