[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Filing for Divorce online

Brentastic

Has anyone here tried the online path for filing for divorce? Unfortunately after 21 years together, my wife and I are getting divorced. Neither of us want this to cost thousands and I'm pretty sure we're amicable enough to do this without lawyers.  There are tons of websites offering these services but I would love the experience of someone who has gone the online route before just registering on a random website.

I'm open to any and all advice/tips on how to finalize my divorce in the cheapest, most efficient way.

• Like 1

First of all,  sorry you're going through this. Even if it's amicable, it's still no walk in the park. I've been there and it wasn't amicable.

In my area there is no-sign divorces for $399.  Seems more of a gimmick, not sure. Plus it seems both of you want to sign. 

Have you considered just using a mediator to put everything together in a session, to then bring before a judge?  Key questions- are there kids involved?  Are there many assets to be figured out, investment/retirement portfolios, pensions, inheritance, property/ies, etc?  The more things/complications you have, the more important it is that you do this right or you'll pay for it later. 

5 hours ago, Brentastic said:

Yeah it sux fa sho.  Kids - yes.  Assets - yes.  Home - yes.  Gonna be a nightmare.

You definitely need to get a mediator at minimum, especially if it's amicable. It'll be cheaper than both of you getting lawyers.   But you'll need to hash out all the the important stuff, so down the line everything goes as smooth as possible. 

Years ago when I got divorced we printed off forms from the internet. Had to fill them out and “present” them to the judge. But we had no kids or property to worry about. Just divvied up the assets and moved on.

If I had kids and property I would absolutely get a lawyer. Not to mention any retirement funds and all money. All of that is fair game. No way I am doing this on the cheap.  Just because you both get a lawyer doesn’t mean it has to get nasty. You just have to protect yourself legally here. Remember, there may be people down the road (inlaws, future spouses, friends, etc) that can get into the ear of your current spouse.

And sorry you are going through this Brent. It just sucks all the way around.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

If your state has it, look at collaborative divorce.  If both parties are amicable and want the same outcome, assuming kids and decent assets, it can be faster and cheaper.  Plus collaborative attorneys tend to work with each other because in the end it is usually pretty predictable.  That said, if one party is not motivated, it can really drag on and get just as expensive as a litiginous divorce.

And no matter how good the relationship, trust your attorney, not your soon to be ex (or her attorney).  I've seen some amicable relationships get very ugly when money, kids, property, etc are on the line.

On 11/5/2023 at 1:40 PM, 1fastdoc said:

And no matter how good the relationship, trust your attorney, not your soon to be ex (or her attorney).  I've seen some amicable relationships get very ugly when money, kids, property, etc are on the line.

^ this

I havent lived it, but I have seen it several times.  And once people are dealing with it, those around them live it too.  

One more thing, protect yourself legally.  A friend of mine got into an argument with his ex before their divorce.  He's a very laid back guy and was literally Mr Mom.  He left, she called the cops and showed them bruises, claming he beat her.  Despite raising the kids while his Pulmonologist wife worked 100 hours per week he lost custody.  When he agreed to give up any claim to alimony, they stated that it was a sign he reformed and he got custody back.  Fast forward, he has the kids because she has no time for them.  He's an amazing dad.  He's remarried to a great, intelligent woman.  His ex makes 7 figures, he gets nothing.  Those two were together for over 20 years.  

My ex would persist in arguing with me despite my efforts to get away from her.  It is state dependent but moving out can be problematic. However, if you find yourself in a situation that she could manipulate, you need to get away from it.  This is where a lawyer can save you a lot of problems in the future.  I know people who divorced without attorneys and in every single case, one person pretty much walked over the other. 

If it's not clear.  Get an attorney, ideally a female.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Anonymouse said:

I just read this thread.

I'm also going through a divorce. How are you and your kids handling it? You're a good dude and hope all is going as well as can be. 

Thanks brother.  Sorry to hear you're going through the same thing.  It sucks for sure.  It's very tricky because me and my son want to desperately mover out of Chicago (I call it Chicammunism) and my wife wants to stay here. We've agreed to joint custody which means I'm basically stuck here for a few more years until my daughter is 18.  This city sucks and is waaaayyyy too expensive so I'm really struggling with it.  Other than that, at this point, I can't wait to get away from this untcay.  She's not the same person I married, that's for sure.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Brentastic said:

Do all high schools have gender neutral bathrooms nowadays, or just the overly liberal cities.  There's almost nothing I like about Chicago anymore except being very bike friendly as I love riding my bike around.  Other than that, it's pretty awful here.

I doubt it is all, and would probably only be done in those that have been rebuilt or remodeled recently. I was recently eating somewhere newer and that was all they had, two unisex bathrooms. One benefit, since they were single toilet locked door types, if one was busy you could use the other one, no matter your sex. 

This article says it is more like 1/4 and even that may be high. 

https://www.latimes.com/california/newsletter/2022-03-07/8-to-3-template-8-to-3

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

a few weeks ago, I told my soon-to-be-ex-wife that I would like to not speak to her ever again, unless it's specifically and exclusively about our kids. She would just randomly complain to me about whatever eventho we've been separated for over a year. I didn't realize until just now how much happier I've been over the past few weeks. I didn't realize just how toxic she is.

I do NOT recommend or encourage divorce if you have kids, but if you must go through divorce, realize that you'll eventually be happy. One of the most significant demographic for suicide is recently separated men. It's okay to talk about your feelings, especially if you wind up in a dark hole and can't see the light. (a few years ago, my neighbors got divorced and he killed himself :( )

If you do have kids -and- must get divorced, maybe have your kids build a relationship with a therapist BEFORE you tell them you're getting divorced. 

If anyone is going through this and you need to talk, you can PM me. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 8:05 PM, 1fastdoc said:

One more thing, protect yourself legally.  A friend of mine got into an argument with his ex before their divorce.  He's a very laid back guy and was literally Mr Mom.  He left, she called the cops and showed them bruises, claming he beat her.  Despite raising the kids while his Pulmonologist wife worked 100 hours per week he lost custody.  When he agreed to give up any claim to alimony, they stated that it was a sign he reformed and he got custody back.  Fast forward, he has the kids because she has no time for them.  He's an amazing dad.  He's remarried to a great, intelligent woman.  His ex makes 7 figures, he gets nothing.  Those two were together for over 20 years.  

My ex would persist in arguing with me despite my efforts to get away from her.  It is state dependent but moving out can be problematic. However, if you find yourself in a situation that she could manipulate, you need to get away from it.  This is where a lawyer can save you a lot of problems in the future.  I know people who divorced without attorneys and in every single case, one person pretty much walked over the other. 

If it's not clear.  Get an attorney, ideally a female.

You can lose legal rights if you move out of your house too soon to get away from your ex-wife.

However, I joined a divorced dad group last year and heard horror stories of guys who refused to give up any legal rights, remained in the marital home, and had false DV (domestic violence) charges filed against them and that was way worse than the legal consequences of having just left. I know these DVs were false because it was eventually proven and two of the men now have 100% custody of their kids.

Please consult an attorney as to the best course of action. I am not an attorney. 

Sounds nasty...100% 

All of it. The entirety-from family to kids, to mental anguish, and cost. Courts still favor the women. 

I won't. 

I am the only person in my circle. My bro (3rd wife), one BIL (2nd wife), another BIL (once divorced-won't marry again), and SIL (2nd husband). 

I have hopes that my patience will win. There is something to be said about "for better or worse". It has nothing to do with religion or God. I still know my spouse is a good human. The alternative is a nightmare in so many ways.

We may have our on line differences...but good luck to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gilthorp said:

Sounds nasty...100% 

All of it. The entirety-from family to kids, to mental anguish, and cost. Courts still favor the women. 

I won't. 

I am the only person in my circle. My bro (3rd wife), one BIL (2nd wife), another BIL (once divorced-won't marry again), and SIL (2nd husband). 

I have hopes that my patience will win. There is something to be said about "for better or worse". It has nothing to do with religion or God. I still know my spouse is a good human. The alternative is a nightmare in so many ways.

We may have our on line differences...but good luck to you.

Very well said. Hope everything works out as smoothly as possible Brent. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, fellas.  No progress, still same situation. We're both just living as is and neither of us is doing anything proactive towards filing for divorce.  Still don't like it but at least I see the kids daily under this current situation.  Special shoutout to @gilthorpbecause he and I have never got along so for him to come in here and be kind... mad props dude. I appreciate it.

• Like 2