[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NFL trade Deadline - Rumored and Real

Sivaro

9 hours ago, Gopher said:

Interesting question.  Personally, not interested in Wentz.  He's failed miserably in at least three places now.  I'd be surprised if ATL is willing to part with Heinecke, as long as they're in the hunt in the NFC South.  Brissett costs too much (and I think his best days are LONG behind him), and McCoy couldn't even make an ARI roster that was largely QB-less to start the season.  At first glance, here are a few names that come to mind, all of which have very manageable salaries currently.  

Andy Dalton CAR - The epitome of wily veteran, and CAR seems set on riding out the season with Young.  

Brian Hoyer LVR - Another vet who could step in and manage.  Might be the odd man out in Vegas with AOC playing well behind Jimmy. 

Josh Dobbs ARI - Probably a longshot, but Kyler is about to return, and ARI is going to play him the way it sounds.  Wouldn't hurt to ask. 

Mike White MIA - He's been thrown into worse situations in his career, and I like his competitive nature. 

Case Keenum HOU - Wouldn't that be ironic? 

I am curious what all these other QBs would cost, since you consider them much better than Brissett who costs too much. According to stories I've read Brissett would cost about 1.8M for the rest of the season. Not a lot for a team that can contend with a better QB than what they have now. I know he's a better fit in CLE with knowledge of the offense from last year. Or maybe the cost is in the form of compensation for the pick. 

LV and AZ may not be ready to give up their backup QB seeing how much they've needed them. 

6 hours ago, stevegrab said:

I am curious what all these other QBs would cost, since you consider them much better than Brissett who costs too much. According to stories I've read Brissett would cost about 1.8M for the rest of the season. Not a lot for a team that can contend with a better QB than what they have now. I know he's a better fit in CLE with knowledge of the offense from last year. Or maybe the cost is in the form of compensation for the pick. 

LV and AZ may not be ready to give up their backup QB seeing how much they've needed them. 

Yeah, my "list" was completely off the top of my head, after glancing at salaries for this year.  Brissett was listed as making $8M+ but I didn't take into account the proration factor.  The guys I listed were all $3M or less.  That said, I'm not sure Brissett is any better, but who knows.  And, yeah, some may not be available, depending on the situation.  For the most part, I considered teams who are out of the playoff hunt (or at least very unlikely to be in the mix).  

• Like 1

Commanders trade Montez Sweat to the Bears for a 2024 2nd round pick

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38786847/sources-bears-trading-commanders-montez-sweat

Lots of discussion of possible trades and such in this thread on The Athletic

https://theathletic.com/live-blogs/nfl-trade-deadline-tracker-2023-predictions-rumors-news-deals/pKn77s77rUZK/

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 2:55 PM, Big John said:

Seahawks acquired DL Leonard Williams for 2024 2nd and 2025 5th

Such a smart trade for the Giants. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, irish said:

Such a smart trade for the Giants. 

Agree,  as the Giants should be trying to trade essentially everyone.  But, this benefits both teams.

NY is paying Williams remaining 2023 salary and the Hawks intend to re-sign Williams.  

The Hawks see the 2nd round pick as being in the 50s. 

Williams was the Giants defensive captain.  From what the talking heads are saying, guys like Williams who often play inside are now more coveted than straight edge rushers.  Dude from NY media was saying he's clubhouse leader responsible for a lot more sacks than he was statisticaly credited for.

My feeling is that the talent on the Hawks defense is currently flying under the radar.  They are young, deep, physical, and fast.  The offense is stacked also with Geno Smith being the biggest question mark or X factor.

The trade signifies that Hawks brass believes a championship window is dawning and they can be in the mix for the next 4 to 5 years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Big John said:

Rams to sign Wentz, cut Rypien.

Well, things did not go well last week!  When you get cut in favor of Wentz, that's career ending!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Big John said:

He wasn't.  He was on the Vikings earlier this year, mostly on the practice squad.

Sorry, misread the year when I was looking at his info on PFR site. He did see action in one game, two snaps on ST. 

The point was, they are familiar with him, as coach McConnell was familiar with Akers from his time with the Rams.