[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cancelling out your opponent's QB points

Grits and Shins

Is it a valid strategy to cancel your opponent's QB with your WR?  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a valid strategy to cancel your opponent's QB with your WR?

• NO, start the WR you think will score them most
    • YES, start the WR to "cancel out" your opponent's QB points

I generally pick my nose, throw the booger against a wall and see how long it sticks.  If it sticks for longer than 1 minute, I go with the WR to cancel out my opponent's QB.  If it is not gooey enough, and falls off the wall, I play the guy who will score the most points.

961306[/snapback]

:D

Ain't science grand!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet if his QB has a HUGH day and does not throw any of the td's to said receiver which you decide to start to "hedge your bet" ... it very well could come BRACK to bite you in you bum.

961321[/snapback]

Absolutely true! Which is why this is not a good strategy and only something some owners use to help decide btwn two WR that they feel are otherwise equal.

I haven't checked to see if there's any real discussion on this past the 2nd page, but...

This has been used alot in my league that has been together for 5 years.

But I'm wondering how many people voted no because they've never seen this or voted no because it happened to them?

This has only been done in my league when there's not a solid WR for that spot.

Bottom line, no player you start in your line up 'cancels out' any points scored by your opponent. The 6 points scored by receiver A is the exact same as the 6 points scored by receiver B. You don't get 'bonus' points when the 6 points came out of the hands of your opponent's QB ... you get 6 points.

Your opponent's lineup should be totally irrelevant.

When attempting to compare 2 equivalent WRs that are equal in all ways (which is unlikely) it is as valid to choose one based on who your opponent is starting at QB as it is to choose one based on the color of his uniform.

DMD has Charles Rogers and Bobby Engram both projected at 109 fantasy points for the year. So lets assume these are the equivalent WRs that we are considering. Lets assume it is week 14.

Charles Rogers is at GB.

Bobby Engram is at home versus SEA.

Lets change the variable to make it more equal and say that both are home games. So now you have to choose between:

Rogers vs GB

Engram vs SEA

Further lets assume that GB and SEA are close enough in passing defense as to be the same. Eliminate weather as a factor because it is a nice weekend.

Your opponent is start Hasslebeck.

When you start Engram does that reduce Hasslebeck's points in any way? Is the 60 yards and no TD Engram scores any different than the 60 yards and no TD that Rogers scores?

If you want to choose your WRs in this fashion, more power to you. But you are sadly mistaken if you think you are making a logical decision that will gain you any advantage. You could as easily have flipped a coin.

This is simply a strategy that I have chosen to employ this year when faced with choosing between two players of similar abilities and points potential.

614346[/snapback]

Exactly, I've only done it when I have a tough decision between 2 or 3 WRs.

Actually, I prefer to get a photo of the opposing QB, and rub chicken entrails over it while chanting "Mullholla, rohotta, hoi!" to cancel out his points.

If you want to choose your WRs in this fashion, more power to you.  But you are sadly mistaken if you think you are making a logical decision that will gain you any advantage.  You could as easily have flipped a coin.

961767[/snapback]

Its pretty clear how you feel on this issue, and I highly doubt anyone is going to change your mind. And that is part of the beauty of fantasy football. You can draft and manage your team how you see fit. FWIW, though, I think you are reading too much into this. When/if you select a player in this way, you are basically flipping a coin. You're just conceding that its going to be one of those two guys anyways, and you are picking one rather than leaving it up to chance. Nothing more than a way to decide btwn equal WRs. IMO, no different than flipping a coin, rolling dice, magic 8-ball, eeny meenie miny moe, whatever people do to make a tough call on a player.

I did not call you out in this post (you will notice I did not name you) ... I'm not trying to humiliate you either.  I also didn't call you names ... I did say it was a "dumb strategy" and if this is insulting to you, so be it.  It is totally beyond me how anybody can think the "cancel out" method has any validity at all.  Yet vehemently you supported this method.  I thought I'd see how many other Huddlers feel as you do ... and just maybe bring you to the light.

So for you ... if you have "basically even players" you consider your opponent's QB before you consider matchup.  When with basically equal players you should be looking at their matchup and NOT who your opponent intends to start at QB.

If, after you have taken your two "basically even players" and determined that their matchups are equally good or equally bad, you choose to start the WR that corresponds to your opponent's QB that's a different thing.  However, at that point you have decided that both players are going to score about the same amount of points so it really is irrelevant which one you choose.

614366[/snapback]

GROW UP DUDE :D

oh my god this is too funny. to those who haven't waded through the 6 pages of this, i highly recommend you do.

i did have one angle on this that i have not seen ....

i must admit that if i have harrison and my opponent has manning - i'm a bit bummed out. especially if the QB is getting 6 points for each TD. i know, i know, i know - it's not logical, but i hate it that everytime harrison catches a TD that both me and my opponent are both posting the 6.

sure, it's the same as if my opponent has farve and he throws a TD to match harrision's catch, but psychologically, it is harder knowing that if harrison goes off, i don't get the singular benefit - it is shared.

not logical, just emotional. i would still start harrison no matter what.

here's hoping that this thread goes on for a bit ... lies dormant for several months ... and is then resurrected again!

tony

• 1 month later...
So should I start Rod Gardner this week or Torry Holt?

My opponent is starting Brunell and I'm thinking I can cancel out Brunell's points by starting Gardner

1066824[/snapback]

both this thread and grits rising from the dead at the same time ... i'm not sure if i can handle the combined force of those two events.

tony

So should I start Rod Gardner this week or Torry Holt?

My opponent is starting Brunell and I'm thinking I can cancel out Brunell's points by starting Gardner

1066824[/snapback]

Blitz...you big silly...you gotta go with Gardner! :D