[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ricky Williams interview

Skrappy1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot about it and flipped over to ESPN and just flipped back to 60 minutes...did I already miss the Ricky interview or no?  Thanks.

621360[/snapback]

Well if you missed it you missed one helluva a great show. This guy is completely 100% out of it. Like I said in tailgate I really feel bad for him in a way. He is completely off his rocker....

Well if you missed it you missed one helluva a great show. This guy is completely 100% out of it. Like I said in tailgate I really feel bad for him in a way. He is completely off his rocker....

621398[/snapback]

I'll have to switch over to the Tailgate and check out that discussion...I saw bits of it on the CBS pregame show this morning, but forgot to watch 60 minutes.

That was one of the most bizarre interviews I have ever seen. As a man this guy has some demons in my opinion, some real, some not real. Three different ladies who are un-wed can say, look there's my babys daddy. Daddy is off his freakin rocker and you got no child support coming in any longer. He seems to have no regrets for anything and truly thinks he has done no wrong it appears. I thought he might be stoned during the interview but I think he got ahold of a bad batch of acid somewhere in his day. The sad thing is he looks in shape and like he could run over anything in his way. The other odd thing was this interview seem pre-planned by him to lay out some BS. Once Mike Wallace busted on him and said BS Ricky then changed his tune.

Still scratchin' my head over this one.

That was one of the most bizarre interviews I have ever seen. As a man this guy has some demons in my opinion, some real, some not real. Three different ladies who are un-wed can say, look there's my babys daddy. Daddy is off his freakin rocker and you got no child support coming in any longer. He seems to have no regrets for anything and truly thinks he has done no wrong it appears. I thought he might be stoned during the interview but I think he got ahold of a bad batch of acid somewhere in his day. The sad thing is he looks in shape and like he could run over anything in his way. The other odd thing was this interview seem pre-planned by him to lay out some BS. Once Mike Wallace busted on him and said BS Ricky then changed his tune.

Still scratchin' my head over this one.

621531[/snapback]

What exactly did he do wrong? The guy made a decision about his life. He apparently has no love for football. So tell me, what is so bizarre about that?

So, tell me. How many people do you know that leaves 5 MILLION dollars on the table for one years work?  So, i guess that is bizarre.

621545[/snapback]

What's bizarre is how everyone thinks they know what's best for Ricky Williams. What's bizarre is apparently he's not consumed by money, yet that's a bad thing to most people? What's bizarre is how conformity is becoming essential in today's society!! Do you let other people decide what's best for you, or do you make those decisions on your own?

Well, that's wierd. I came away with a new respect for him. Here's a guy who didnt cave in to what 'everyone' thinks he should do, but did what he wanted to do. He wanted to change his life, and he didnt let money be the deciding factor in it. I left the interview thinking to myself "now here's a guy who's beliefs arent for sale. Kudos to him."

Now, would I do what he did? Hell no, i'd tough out the 2 years and get the money. But he passed on the cash, and for that I give him props.

While I agree that everyone is entitled to follow their beliefs and shouldn't "cave" to the masses idea of what is right or wrong for a person, there are such things as RESPONSIBILITY and COMMITMENT that the rest of the regular population have to deal with on a daily basis. I did not see the interview so I am only responding to the comments made on this thread until I do get a look at what the interview entailed.

I think it is to some degree unfair for us to make judgements against Ricky's choices without knowing the man and the reasoning for his decisions. But I also think there are times that the choices that you make may be good for you, but they may also be damaging to others that your decisions affect. Dave Wanstedt may not feel that Ricky's choice was the best for him. He loses his job due to the fact the entire team is in disarray for the choices that Ricky has made. Is it fair for the entire team to suffer because of his lack of commitment to follow through with his obligations?

While it may be true that Wanstedt was done due to the teams terrible personnel decisions of late (see QB), things could have been made much easier with Ricky there to pull the safeties up and make the defenses play more man to man on the receivers. So, in the football world, Ricky has made a difference in the lives of every player in that organization and coaching staff.

I just don't see how making a decision to go against the grain can be applauded if it hurts everyone around the person making the decision. Certainly, I do not enjoy my job every day and think all the time that I would much rather be doing something else. But I doubt my bill collectors, wife and daughter would understand me running off to yoga class because I just can't handle the pressure of delivering mail anymore...

We all need to grow up and take responsibility for our actions and be more thoughtfull of the people who are affected by the decisions that we all make. But most of us don't stop to think beyond our own inner self and realize what we do will affect others and it IS EACH PERSON'S RESPONSIBILITY to not negatively impact the people around them. That is what some would call being civilized and it only seems to me that we are going in the wrong direction.

While I agree that everyone is entitled to follow their beliefs and shouldn't "cave" to the masses idea of what is right or wrong for a person, there are such things as RESPONSIBILITY and COMMITMENT that the rest of the regular population have to deal with on a daily basis.  I did not see the interview so I am only responding to the comments made on this thread until I do get a look at what the interview entailed. 

I think it is to some degree unfair for us to make judgements against Ricky's choices without knowing the man and the reasoning for his decisions.  But I also think there are times that the choices that you make may be good for you, but they may also be damaging to others that your decisions affect.  Dave Wanstedt may not feel that Ricky's choice was the best for him.  He loses his job due to the fact the entire team is in disarray for the choices that Ricky has made.  Is it fair for the entire team to suffer because of his lack of commitment to follow through with his obligations? 

While it may be true that Wanstedt was done due to the teams terrible personnel decisions of late (see QB), things could have been made much easier with Ricky there to pull the safeties up and make the defenses play more man to man on the receivers.  So, in the football world, Ricky has made a difference in the lives of every player in that organization and coaching staff. 

I just don't see how making a decision to go against the grain can be applauded if it hurts everyone around the person making the decision.  Certainly, I do not enjoy my job every day and think all the time that I would much rather be doing something else.  But I doubt my bill collectors, wife and daughter would understand me running off to yoga class because I just can't handle the pressure of delivering mail anymore...

We all need to grow up and take responsibility for our actions and be more thoughtfull of the people who are affected by the decisions that we all make.  But most of us don't stop to think beyond our own inner self and realize what we do will affect others and it IS EACH PERSON'S RESPONSIBILITY to not negatively impact the people around them.  That is what some would call being civilized and it only seems to me that we are going in the wrong direction.

621701[/snapback]

Well said, and I agree. The fact that from what I understand Ricky has 4 daughters with 4 different women, and now has no job, is bankrupt and owes the Dolphins over $8 million, I would say he has a problem with responsibility.

What's bizarre is how everyone thinks they know what's best for Ricky Williams.  What's bizarre is apparently he's not consumed by money, yet that's a bad thing to most people?  What's bizarre is how conformity is becoming essential in today's society!!  Do you let other people decide what's best for you, or do you make those decisions on your own?

621553[/snapback]

The man can do what he wants to do, but when he says he is a generous man because he does support his three children financially, that does not sit right with me.

While the Dolphin's demise may not have been entirely his fault, he left his team mates, coach and owner in the lurch. For some reason, I think he is about to do that to his children.

I'll give the man his due and yes, he can do what he wants, but he has to look beyond the end of his nose on what affect he is having on others with his decision.

He says he was feeling tied down by the money he was making, but his first admission was being scared of people finding out he smoked Josh Gordon. When the money isn't there, what will he do then? It will be interesting to see if he still does not want his freedom bound by money.

Edited by Gunther

While I agree that everyone is entitled to follow their beliefs and shouldn't "cave" to the masses idea of what is right or wrong for a person, there are such things as RESPONSIBILITY and COMMITMENT that the rest of the regular population have to deal with on a daily basis.  I did not see the interview so I am only responding to the comments made on this thread until I do get a look at what the interview entailed. 

I think it is to some degree unfair for us to make judgements against Ricky's choices without knowing the man and the reasoning for his decisions.  But I also think there are times that the choices that you make may be good for you, but they may also be damaging to others that your decisions affect.  Dave Wanstedt may not feel that Ricky's choice was the best for him.  He loses his job due to the fact the entire team is in disarray for the choices that Ricky has made.  Is it fair for the entire team to suffer because of his lack of commitment to follow through with his obligations? 

While it may be true that Wanstedt was done due to the teams terrible personnel decisions of late (see QB), things could have been made much easier with Ricky there to pull the safeties up and make the defenses play more man to man on the receivers.  So, in the football world, Ricky has made a difference in the lives of every player in that organization and coaching staff. 

I just don't see how making a decision to go against the grain can be applauded if it hurts everyone around the person making the decision.  Certainly, I do not enjoy my job every day and think all the time that I would much rather be doing something else.  But I doubt my bill collectors, wife and daughter would understand me running off to yoga class because I just can't handle the pressure of delivering mail anymore...

We all need to grow up and take responsibility for our actions and be more thoughtfull of the people who are affected by the decisions that we all make.  But most of us don't stop to think beyond our own inner self and realize what we do will affect others and it IS EACH PERSON'S RESPONSIBILITY to not negatively impact the people around them.  That is what some would call being civilized and it only seems to me that we are going in the wrong direction.

621701[/snapback]

If your heart isn't in something, you shouldn't do it. Do you think anyone in the Dolphins organization wants a half-a$$ R.W.? Don't you think it's more selfish for an entire organization, the media and us fans to criticize a man for making a decision on his life?

Fotball is a business and I don't see many owners and coaches worrying too much about the players they cut and trade on a regular basis! Another obvious difference between his profession and most of us fans, is the physical abuse the body endures. He doesn't want to play and he doesn't want to be crippled when he's 40. But I guess he should gut it out for the rest of us, right?

If your heart isn't in something, you shouldn't do it.  Do you think anyone in the Dolphins organization wants a half-a$$ R.W.?  Don't you think it's more selfish for an entire organization, the media and us fans to criticize a man for making a decision on his life? 

Fotball is a business and I don't see many owners and coaches worrying too much about the players they cut and trade on a regular basis!  Another obvious difference between his profession and most of us fans, is the physical abuse the body endures.  He doesn't want to play and he doesn't want to be crippled when he's 40.  But I guess he should gut it out for the rest of us, right?

621705[/snapback]

The thing is, why did he say he wants to play for the Raiders if it was all about saving his body? He also initially said he wanted the Dolphins to rework his contract. He has said so many different things from one moment to the next, it's hard to take him seriously.

The thing is, why did he say he wants to play for the Raiders if it was all about saving his body?  He also initially said he wanted the Dolphins to rework his contract.  He has said so many different things from one moment to the next, it's hard to take him seriously.

621707[/snapback]

I had forgotten he had mentioned that. He said the Raider fans like "sick people" or something like that. I missed the part about him wanting the Dolphins to rework his contract.

I had forgotten he had mentioned that. He said the Raider fans like "sick people" or something like that. I missed the part about him wanting the Dolphins to rework his contract.

621708[/snapback]

There was a contract! The Dolphin owner shelled out 8+ million more than what Williams performed to...Ricky is really sick in the head if he thinks that he can walk away(which he has a right to do) without giving his pay for future performance back...he wants his cake and eat it too is the cliche that fits him...let me put it this way....

Walk Ricky, run Ricky, do whatever Ricky--but you don't get 8 million for doing what you want to do....Dolphins paid him to play RB for them...now he took the owner's money and walked....if that is not insane what is????? Do you know the truth here---Ricky strong armed(form of robbery) the Dolphins owner, the NFL and the fans...now he just wants to forget everything and carry on with his life---IMO he is delusional and irrational at best... :D

If your heart isn't in something, you shouldn't do it.  Do you think anyone in the Dolphins organization wants a half-a$$ R.W.?  Don't you think it's more selfish for an entire organization, the media and us fans to criticize a man for making a decision on his life? 

Fotball is a business and I don't see many owners and coaches worrying too much about the players they cut and trade on a regular basis!  Another obvious difference between his profession and most of us fans, is the physical abuse the body endures.  He doesn't want to play and he doesn't want to be crippled when he's 40.  But I guess he should gut it out for the rest of us, right?

621705[/snapback]

I saw the interview and he seemed almost childlike, as if he doesn't understand at all what he has done wrong and why people think poorly of him. I commend him for quitting (or "retiring" as he preferred to call it) if he quit for the reasons he stated. However, you can't agree to do something, get paid an advance for doing it, and then bolt prior to completing it. I think they call that dishonest, robbery, and a few other not-so-flattering terms.

What was that crap about him being generous? As a father, and I think some of you feel the exact same way, we are appalled by that sort of nonsense. Being generous doesn't make you a father. Having a checkbook doesn't make you a father. He has three children by three different women and appears to be under the misperception that giving them money somehow satisfies his paternal responsibilities. Besides, how can he afford to provide financial support to three children when he keeps crying about being broke and possibly declaring bankruptcy if he has to pay back the unearned portion of his signing bonus?

So, let's not feel any sympathy for Ricky. He skipped out on a contract he at one time thought was reasonable and made sense, just before training camp began. What would our opinion be if ownership just up and decided it wanted out of the contract? Ricky can't possibly be a true father to three unrelated children, especially when he is busy renting tent space for $7 per day or practicing holistic medicine.

I don't care that he passed up on the money. It must be nice to not worry about money. But I can't stand the sympathy for somebody that shirks responsibility every chance he gets. Be a man Ricky!

621705[/snapback]

Listen, if is heart wasn't in it, he could have given them notice and retired during the off-season with nobody having any problem with it. Quitting a week before camp is the issue.

he even admitted last night, it was not about any loss of interest, but fear about his failed 3rd Drug test going public which caused him to retire.

Again, he said it 2X last night. He walked away because he was afraid to face the press about his failed 3rd failed drug test, NOT a loss of love for the game.

Simple fact is, if you lose your love for the game, you don't lose it one week before training camp, after putting yourself through tough summer 100 degree minicamps.

He quit because he was afraid talk about his drug problem.

The man can do what he wants to do, but when he says he is a generous man because he does support his three children financially, that does not sit right with me.

While the Dolphin's demise may not have been entirely his fault, he left his team mates, coach and owner in the lurch. For some reason, I think he is about to do that to his children.

621703[/snapback]

Notice that he only said that he supports them "financially." And he won't even be able to do that after he has to give Miami the $8 million back. Do you think that Ricky even makes an effort to RAISE his children? Probably not, given that he's spent most of the past six months living in a tent in Australia and attending Hippie Wacko School in California. I'm sorry, but I have a serious problem with a guy who fathers THREE kids out of wedlock and doesn't even participate in their upbringing.

I have no problem with Ricky's decision to leave the NFL (although his timing was unfair to his employer and teammates), but it's obvious to me that he's an irresponsible, spoiled little boy. I hope that he goes bankrupt after the Dolphins take back their money and he's forced to work a 9-to-5 job like the rest of us. That'll teach him responsibility.

The guy has a drug problem. That's it. He chooses pot over the nfl. I am glad he supports his children financially, and by the same token I'm glad he is not in their life because of his drug problem. Time to move on. I predict he will have HUGH regrets once he decides to be clean.

What's bizarre is how everyone thinks they know what's best for Ricky Williams.  What's bizarre is apparently he's not consumed by money, yet that's a bad thing to most people?  What's bizarre is how conformity is becoming essential in today's society!!  Do you let other people decide what's best for you, or do you make those decisions on your own?

621553[/snapback]

As a father, a co-worker, a son and a Brother I make decisions everyday based on the "other" people in my life. Sometimes I make my decisions because of them and other times I make my decisions despite them. But I always have to consider them before I make my decisions. So should everyone. Because the realty is our decisions affect a lot more people than just ourselves.

As far as conformity being essential in todays society? If by conformity you mean honoring your committments then yes I would say that conformity is essential in today's society.

Because that is what this issue comes down to he has a problem honoring his committments. It's ok to make decisions about your life without doing what other people consider normal or what's best for you.

Like his football contract. Whenever an organization and a player enter into a contract there are usually escapes in that contract for both sides.

Obviously Ricky had the right to walk away from the game, doing so at his age and being in the good health he was in and with the money he still had on the table was definitely in direct contrast to what society would call normal but he still had the right to do it.

On the flip side, had Miami seen fit they could have released him at any point during his time with the team. That's always an option.

So in terms of honoring his contract or leaving the game he certainly had that right. Although I think his timing sucked and his teammates deserved better. But he still had the right to do it.

But don't make this guy out to be some free-spirit struggling to find his way in a society that his holding him back.

Because what he is, is a young kid who couldn't leave drugs alone long enough to stay out of trouble with the league.

He says he quit because he was, "So afraid that the world would find out he smoked Josh Gordon" and then proceeded to tell the world that he smokes marijauna.

You say he's not consumed by money but he won't pay back what he owes the Dolphins, instead he's making them sue him for it?

He says he lost his love for the game and then says he would like to come back to play for the Raiders.

He can't stop procreating despite having already fathered 3 illegitimate children whom he may or may not have a realtionship with.

So your poor Ricky Williams who just wants to live "his" life continues to make decisions that have a direct adverse affect on the lives of many, many other "innocent" people who have otherwise done nothing to deserve it.

Look at the life he could have given his children if nothing else. Ok he supposedly hates football now guess what most people hate their jobs. But most people don't make 5 million a year to do their job.

So all he had to do is play 2 more years, keep the 8 mil already in the bank, collect the other 10 mil or so that you have coming, then at the ripe age of what, 29? You walk away. Secure in the knowledge that you can do whatever you want for the rest of your life, including nothing if you so choose, and your children will be provided for.

Money is not everything but a good home, a college education, and future financial security for your children are everything. It's what we all work for.

And when someone with the talent of a Ricky Williams walks away from that for know better reason than being afraid that people will find out he smokes Josh Gordon, yes society gets upset.

And ask yourself this, had he not failed a 3rd drug test would he have quit the game?

I would bet not.

So for the love of Josh Gordon he has made a decision that was bad for his 52 teammates and countless other members of the Miami Organization, his 3 children and their mothers, and most importantly...

himself.

What exactly did he do wrong?  The guy made a decision about his life.  He apparently has no love for football.  So tell me, what is so bizarre about that?

621543[/snapback]

Didn't read past this post.....

While it is his decision, it's certainly one that can be questioned. I mean he left football to smoke Josh Gordon (at the very least). It's not like R. Smith who quit to become a doctor, or B. Sanders who quit because he just didn't love football any longer. The dude quit to get high.... that's what's bizarre about the decision.

Didn't read past this post.....

While it is his decision, it's certainly one that can be questioned.  I mean he left football to smoke Josh Gordon (at the very least).  It's not like R. Smith who quit to become a doctor, or B. Sanders who quit because he just didn't love football any longer.  The dude quit to get high.... that's what's bizarre about the decision.

622002[/snapback]

Exactly. There are plenty of regular people who quit their jobs or get fired for their reliance to drugs or alcohol. Our society call these people bums or street people. Williams has enough money to keep off the streets, but he is a bum. Whatever floats his boat. The NFL will move on as always because it is the greatest sport in the world.

Well, that's wierd. I came away with a new respect for him. Here's a guy who didnt cave in to what 'everyone'  thinks he should do, but did what he wanted to do. He wanted to change his life, and he didnt let money be the deciding factor in it. I left the interview thinking to myself "now here's a guy who's beliefs arent for sale. Kudos to him."

Now, would I do what he did? Hell no, i'd tough out the 2 years and get the money. But he passed on the cash, and for that I give him props.

621591[/snapback]

When he gives back the portion of his signing bonus that he didnt EARN then the lazy pot smokin basturd can have my kudos!!!!!!!