[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It is unethical to split the SB pot?

reddogs2020

With great risk, comes great reward. Tell your opponent to go eff himself and grow some sack. Don't do it, don't do it, don't do it. I know you are hedging your bets, but come on. You are in the SB. Do you double down when you have an 8 and 3 showing and the dealer has a 5? Hell yes, you have to play it out.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don' even consider this travishamockery!!!

Last year the guy I played in the Super Bowl offered me the same.

I must say he had the number one scoring team in the league.

By him offering me this proposition, I could read the fear in his eyes!

I went on and beat him by 10 points, took ALL the money and my 2nd title.

Hehe...I win!

In summary:

Winner take all = MANLY :D

Split the pot = GAY :D

You don't have to completely split but if you want to get the money closer that still leaves bragging right besides the ring.. our payout this year was 1st--$1050.. 2nd -$650.. we agreed on 950/750.. Plus the other guys still see the name on the trophy and don't remember 2nd place!! LOL.. It sucks when 1 or 2 big plays steal the prize from you.. my example, I played the Manning owner and won because of Kerry (5TD) Collins.. What the 2 Super Bowl guys do is between them.. For the guys who complain, tell them WHEN they get there they can make their own rules decisions..

The prize money for winning is determined and agreed upon by the entire league before the season starts. To split the money is, for this reason, unethical. You have an agreement with every other owner in the league to accept prize money based on the outcome, not collusion, and this is collusion, but having to do with money, not trades and players.

It violates not only league rules, but the sense of fair play that is a requirement in any successful league...... so, it really more of a can you get away with it thing, after all, you said it wasnt the money, it's the title. If that were true, no need to split the money now, is there? Actually, I am glad this came up. I will move for a new rule in my league that says anyone caught splitting prize money will be expelled from the league.

Any opinions.  I'm thinking about doing it because I think he has the better matchups this week.

Of course, the winner still gets the ring and the bragging rights...but less money...(and nobody else in the league will know).

624386[/snapback]

While I may not add much to this thread (you can do what you wish), but would you have offered him to split the pot if he had not offered first?

For me, it's all about the title.  That said, if I can't have the title I want more than the allotted 25%.  I think I'm going to do it, lame or not.  If I win, I lose around $500 but I get bragging rights in the offseason and the ring to flash at next year's draft.  If I lose, I gain around $500.  It's win-win.

624466[/snapback]

If that works for you, go do it. It's not unethical by any means ... to me, it's about who wins the championship and taking the money factor out of it (each getting a grand for making the title game) lets you focus on winning the bragging rights. Enjoy the grand ... and good luck with the title. I think you'll win.

When it comes down to the last two standing I don't give a rats ass if they want to spilt or not.

One of my home leagues has been splitting for almost ten years with the exception of once about 4 or 5 years ago when it was me vs my arch rival. Other than that the guys are very happy to take a sure $1000.00 around the holidays so I don't have any problem with it.

I have never seen any split of a pot that was under 1K though and I don't think that I'd spilt for $50 or $100 more of sure bet. JMO

Some of you apparently think that by taking this deal I am totally giving up.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I want to win more than anything -- not for the money, but for the title.  If I lose, however, I envision the added money I will receive in light of this deal will help to soothe the pain from the loss.  Like I said, win-win.

624586[/snapback]

You ARE giving up, coping out ... and it's weak. If your team scores more than his you won't have won anything, including any bragging rights ... because you copped out before the game. There was nothing on the line.

The prize money for winning is determined and agreed upon by the entire league before the season starts. To split the money is, for this reason, unethical. You have an agreement with every other owner in the league to accept prize money based on the outcome, not collusion, and this is collusion, but having to do with money, not trades and players.

It violates not only league rules, but the sense of fair play that is a requirement in any successful league...... so, it really more of a can you get away with it thing, after all, you said it wasnt the money, it's the title. If that were true, no need to split the money now, is there? Actually, I am glad this came up. I will move for a new rule in my league that says anyone caught splitting prize money will be expelled from the league.

624845[/snapback]

That is just ludicrous. Everybody agrees up front before any games are played how the money will be dolled out ... because at the start everybody had a shot at the payout. Now there are only 2 owners that have a shot at the payout and if they choose to re-allocate the payout between themselves they are not harming anything including the integrity of the league. The other 8 or 10 owners have no say because they are out of the payout.

Collusion is so despised because it is unfair and hurts somebody else in the league. There is no collusion here because the owners are not causing harm to anybody but are agreeing how to split the money that they are already going to get.

Time for the "Ted Williams story". He could have sat out the last game of the regular season to preserve his .400 batting average. But he had the integrity and balls to play the game. Ended up getting a few hits and raised his average. He could have sat on the bench.

Get the picture....read my sigline. It will tell you how I feel.

Time for the "Ted Williams story".  He could have sat out the last game of the regular season to preserve his .400 batting average. But he had the integrity and balls to play the game. Ended up getting a few hits and raised his average. He could have sat on the bench.

Get the picture....read my sigline. It will tell you how I feel.

625196[/snapback]

Okay, I've had it. Who the he!! is that in your avatar, Melrich? It just bugs me every time I see your avatar. :D

Time for the "Ted Williams story".  He could have sat out the last game of the regular season to preserve his .400 batting average. But he had the integrity and balls to play the game. Ended up getting a few hits and raised his average. He could have sat on the bench.

625196[/snapback]

:D

i suppose i agree that it is a no harm situation since no one else is truly involved, BUT what you are really doing is betting $500 on the other team to win. if he wins, he has to pay you $500 from his winnings, and if you win, you've agreed to pay him $500.

not that there is anything analogous about the situations, but think of all the problems pete rose has had for allegedly betting on his own team. again, no real harm here because it's just the two of you, but i don't like the smell.

That is just ludicrous.  Everybody agrees up front before any games are played how the money will be dolled out ... because at the start everybody had a shot at the payout.  Now there are only 2 owners that have a shot at the payout and if they choose to re-allocate the payout between themselves they are not harming anything including the integrity of the league.  The other 8 or 10 owners have no say because they are out of the payout.

Collusion is so despised because it is unfair and hurts somebody else in the league.  There is no collusion here because the owners are not causing harm to anybody but are agreeing how to split the money that they are already going to get.

625109[/snapback]

So, then it would be OK if ALL of the playoff teams agreed to split the prize money before a single playoff game is played? It would not affect the teams who didnt make the playoffs, so using your reasoning, that's fine too? Let's go further... why not have a playoff "partner" , where you both agree to split any prize money between you before the playoffs start. That would not affect anyone else either.

If it ever happened in my league, I would hope they'd be smart enough to keep it quiet.... I think it stinks. Whether anyone likes it or not, prize distribution IS in the league rules. Change the league rules if you want to, at least then everyone knows and agrees to pot splitting. Imagine two World Seeries teams agreeing to split the pot before the games are played. An extreme analogy to be sure, but it isn't in the competitive spirit of what it's all supposed to be about. What happens if the winner welches, and then denies ever agreeing to a split? I don't think my position is ludicrous at all, just different than yours, Grits.

often at the end of our local, all too frequent, holdem tournaments.....we will split pot it between the final 2 contestants and split is decided by percentage of chips held. i have accepted/offered splits and turned down splits.

i don't think i could ever bring myself to offer and or accept an offer of a split in fantasy football. too long of a season to not go for the gusto.

how upset are you when you don't make the playoffs and don't win a thing? don't u just write it off?? why wouldn't you want to take the full risk?? the answer is you are driven by conservatism. in your mind you win-win. nothing wrong with that outlook. but thats not the case at all. you are just hedging a bet. a common practice. bottom line, do what you want. thats what will make you happy.

So, then it would be OK if ALL of the playoff teams agreed to split the prize money before a single playoff game is played? It would not affect the teams who didnt make the playoffs, so using your reasoning, that's fine too?  Let's go further... why not have a playoff "partner" , where you both agree to split any prize money between you before the playoffs start. That would not affect anyone else either. 

If it ever happened in my league, I would hope they'd be smart enough to keep it quiet.... I think it stinks. Whether anyone likes it or not, prize distribution IS in the league rules. Change the league rules if you want to, at least then everyone knows and agrees to pot splitting. Imagine two World Seeries teams agreeing to split the pot before the games are played. An extreme analogy to be sure, but it isn't in the competitive spirit of what it's all supposed to be about. What happens if the winner welches, and then denies ever agreeing to a split? I don't think my position is ludicrous at all, just different than yours, Grits.

625280[/snapback]

If you could get all 6 guys in the playoffs to agree to a split there would be nothing wrong with them doing so ... but we all know that would never happen.

The problem with your "playoff partner" scenario is that they might make moves or lineup decisions to help their partner ... and this in turn may hurt another owner still playing for money.

I fail to see how the owners that are NOT in the SB would care one way or another how they 2 owners in the SB split the money. I fail to see how the owners that are NOT in the SB have any say in what the owners in the SB choose to do with their winnings. Do you also require that winners don't spend their money on clothing? Do you require that all winnings be spent in a titty bar?

Just because you and I would never agree to splitting the pot doesn't mean that it violates any rules when the 2 owners in the SB agree to do so. They are not colluding against anybody ... they are agreeing to take the money they are going to win an re-allocate it among themselves.

It would be no different then having them set up a side bet on the game.

I have heard more than once, where the 2 Teams in the Bowl make a side deal to split the $$. They never split bragging rights though.

I have heard more than once, where the 2 Teams in the Bowl make a side deal to split the $$.  They never split bragging rights though.

625372[/snapback]

I would do it only if the person i playing against is a friend and wants to do it. If it's one of them guys in the league i really don't care for and he made me that offer i wouldn't do it.

Ramrock

Wow.  I can't believe how many people would even consider splitting the pot.

Why play if you aren't playing to win.  If you need money that bad you probably shouldn't be spending on FF to begin with.

Lame.

625116[/snapback]

I agree in some respects. Our league used to be winner take all. At a reasonably heft buy-in that turned into quite a take. Two years in a row the owners in the SB made a pre-SB agreement to split the money regardless of the outcome. While we thought it was lame it is hard to blame someone for not wanting to get all the way to the SB and come away with nothing. Especially as unpredictable as FF can be. We decided to institute prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place, to hopefully dissuade owners from forging these pot-splitting agreements.