[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Will Kaeding recover?

Hitman

Chargers | Kaeding's Emotions Flare Following Missed Field Goal - from www.KFFL.com

Thu, 13 Jan 2005 01:06:55 -0800

Jim Trotter, of the San Diego Union-Tribune, reports San Diego Chargers PK Nate Kaeding avoided the media following a missed field goal during the first-round of the playoffs that would have won the game for the Chargers. His teammates, however, are not pointing fingers at him for the miss and have been supportive. Kaeding has not taken it quite so well; while talking with special teams coach Steve Crosby and others, he slammed his binder and shoes to the ground and sobbed while taking off to a private area of the locker room.

Tough miss there for the rookie. He was great this year, and even helped me win my local league. :D

We've seen many a kicker never recover from a miss like that, and apparently he took that missed FG pretty hard. Kickers get in BIG trouble when they lose their confidence. Hopefully the kid will get over it.

A post about a kicker? I know.....INDY/NE can't get here soon enough. :D

That isn’t the worst of it! It hit the news earlier today here in San Diego that he was so distraught over the miss and “letting his team down”, that he attempted to commit suicide last night in his home with his revolver. :D

Apparently, he was lucky! When he pulled the trigger, he missed “wide right”! :D

That isn’t the worst of it!  It hit the news earlier today here in San Diego that he was so distraught over the miss and “letting his team down”, that he attempted to commit suicide last night in his home with his revolver.  :D

Apparently, he was lucky!  When he pulled the trigger, he missed “wide right”!  :D

653165[/snapback]

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

That isn’t the worst of it!  It hit the news earlier today here in San Diego that he was so distraught over the miss and “letting his team down”, that he attempted to commit suicide last night in his home with his revolver.  B)

Apparently, he was lucky!  When he pulled the trigger, he missed “wide right”!  :D

653165[/snapback]

:D

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

653172[/snapback]

Oh come on! :D THAT is one of the OLDEST "football jokes" in the book! :D

Does anyone have a concrete example of the former?

653314[/snapback]

Meet Scott

I am not related to that Scott Norwood guy who missed the field goal for the Buffalo Bills in the Super Bowl, nor do I know him or have any idea how to get in touch with him. Don't even ask.
:D Edited by Hitman

actually, that's a definition of the latter. Not the former, as the good doctor was asking.

I'm sure there has been a K who missed a big kick and went in the toilet after that, for the same team, but I cannot recall one off the top of my head.

Edited by CaptainHook

Either Hitam has a hazy grasp on the exact meaning of the words 'former' and 'latter'. Or I'm hazy about my facts:

wasn't snorwood initially forgiven and given a hero's welcome in Buffalo (It's Buffalo! you'll cheer for just about anything that is associated with your city) before being summarily driven out of town? So it's not like he lost his ability to kick after that wide right kick, he just didn't get a chance to do it again.

Then again Hitman may have been looking for any excuse to post that website :D

edit: I see Cpt Hook beat me to the punch

Edited by Dr. Sacrebleu

I guess he could go under either the 'former' or latter. :D

Either way....that next year was his last. Not sure how old he was at the time.

Anyways....just thinking that when a kicker misses a hugh kick like that, it has to affect him even long term, almost like a pitcher that loses their control in baseball (not exactly Rick Ankielish though). It's such a mental thing with keekers. Just brought it up because Kaeding's a rookie, and I am curious as to what kind of effect it will have on him.

Edit to add: Did I use "affect" and "effect" in the proper way? :DB)

Edited by Hitman

...he slammed his binder and shoes to the ground and sobbed while taking off to a private area of the locker room.

653143[/snapback]

Well, if he happens to be cut by the Chargers, I'm sure he'll fit right in with Vermeil and the Chiefs. :D

Well, if he happens to be cut by the Chargers, I'm sure he'll fit right in with Vermeil and the Chiefs. :D

653384[/snapback]

:D

"It's ok kid.....come here and give me a hug!" :bawling: :bawling:

Edited by Hitman

Anyways....just thinking that when a kicker misses a hugh kick like that, it has to affect him even long term, almost like a pitcher that loses their control in baseball

653376[/snapback]

Not to beat a dead horse, but that was my question: the yips (ie Knoblauch and a bunch of golfers), and loss of control esp. amongst pitchers are well documented facts. And although I would think that indeed blowing a big kick could effect your game does anyone actually have any example of that happening to kickers in the NFL?

FWIW, Norwood was only in the NFL for 6 years. He had a career average of 72% which was inflated by two excellent years (weirdly after the SB I always remember the story being that he was an excellent, can't miss kind of kicker, but he was clearly just average at best).

I guess kickers are the same in the NFL and FF: hey, if it isn't working out, cut him: There are plenty more where that came from.

Which probably explains why Norwood never got another chance: who wants to be saddled with a kicker with a curse, when there are dozens of Swedes, failed QBs, and soccer players who are just as able out there waiting to be picked. And which might also explain why there are few case studies of Kickers Performances After Blowing a Big Game..... they're just not around long enough to test the aftereffects.

That isn’t the worst of it!  It hit the news earlier today here in San Diego that he was so distraught over the miss and “letting his team down”, that he attempted to commit suicide last night in his home with his revolver.  B)

653165[/snapback]

Now that's just mean, funny, but mean :D

"Laces out, laces out"...

"If he had held the ball laces out like he's supposed to, Nate would never have missed that kick. Dan Marino should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell!...would you like a cookie?"...

"What a sport nut...huh?"...

653504[/snapback]

I thought the same thing :D

Boy, that kicker lost the ability to kick, but sure ended up growing a great set of

B :D:D Bs!

B)

Edited by McBoog

Too bad marty didn't get the ball closer for him. It's almost like herm edwards were calling the plays. Let's run 2 plays straight up the middle for no gain, and then on the 3rd play, let's swing it right so the ball will be placed on the right hash mark for our right footed kicker, to cut down on the angle as much as possible. :D