[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are Viking Fans Still Defending Moss

Menudo

I admit my first re-action to Randy Moss' mooning actions went overboard. After watching replays, I didn't think that paricular incident was that big of a deal. What does bother me is the total sum of all of the ridiculous things that this guy does. It truly is a shame. I think this guy is the most talented wide receiver and possibly player to ever grace the field. Even more naturally gifted than Jerry Rice, but he will NEVER meet Rice's acheivments because he doesn't come anywhere near his heart or work ethic. Moss proved again that he was a jackass in his comments to a Minnesota reporter yesterday. The comments are listed here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs04/n...tory?id=1966180

The question was asked and I can say with all honesty that I would not want Randy Moss in a Pittsburgh Steeler uniform despite his tremendous talents. This is just one man's opinon.

The question was asked and I can say with all honesty that I would not want Randy Moss in a Pittsburgh Steeler uniform despite his tremendous talents.  This is just one man's opinon.

654029[/snapback]

I will never stop thinking that statements like that are idealistic? and unrealistic. First of all, who's to say how he would be behaving if he had someone a lot bigger on discipline than say, I don't know, Bill Cowher !! And even if Cower were to have only a little more success in reigning in Moss, by this time, all of the positive Moss expoits would not have been wasted because Pittsburgh would have at some point adopted an effective defensive strategy and Moss would have helped deliver a superbowl to the steel city by now...... With a superbowl win, moss' antics would be a little easier going down.

As long as he's not hurting anyone, fine him and move on. I have yet to see how anything he has done yet has hurt his team on the field......you don't have to want to hang out with the guy...just watch him catch touchdowns......

I will never stop thinking that statements like that are idealistic? and unrealistic.  First of all, who's to say how he would be behaving if he had someone a lot bigger on discipline than say, I don't know, Bill Cowher !!  And even if Cower were to have only a little more success in reigning in Moss, by this time, all of the positive Moss expoits would not have been wasted because Pittsburgh would have at some point adopted an effective defensive strategy and Moss would have helped deliver a superbowl to the steel city by now......  With a superbowl win, moss' antics would be a little easier going down. 

As long as he's not hurting anyone, fine him and move on.  I have yet to see how anything he has done yet has hurt his team on the field......you don't have to want to hang out with the guy...just watch him catch touchdowns......

654047[/snapback]

I respect your opinion, but, I'm not sure that Moss would have led the Steelers to anything different than what they have had. The Vikings have been talented for quite some time and never reach their potential. I'm not blaming this on Moss, but something can be said for team unity and players actually liking one another. The Patriots are always cited for how well they get along and numerous Steeler players have said that was the difference this year, that this is a TEAM and they are all focused on the same thing. I stand by my statement, maybe it is because the Steelers are set at that position, but I honestly would not want Randy Moss wearing black and gold.

I want Randy Moss on my team.  I defend what he did last week. 

If they don't like what he does, then don't have a tv camera on him 75% of the time during a game.

654087[/snapback]

Did you like what he had to say to that reporter ?

Did you like him walking off the field early ?

Do you like when he decides not to play hard ?

I've been trying to get Randy to take some poetry classes for quite some time now, but he's been resisting. I do feel he would be so much better if he could get in touch with his softer side.

654136[/snapback]

:D Gotta admit, that was funny. :D

If they don't like what he does, then don't have a tv camera on him 75% of the time during a game.

654087[/snapback]

Yeah and despite the Over-reaction of the annoucers at that game the reason they have a camera on him, or T.O. or Chad Johnson so much is because they are hoping they will do something they can catch on film and then exploit.

If there is any reason for these guys to stop doing what they are doing it should be in an effort to NOT help the networks or NFL get more attention.

The truth is the NFL and the networks love these guys and their actions. Just like the NBA use to love Rodman.

I really appreciated the classiness of the Barry Sanders or the Emmitt Smith's but Professional Sports needs the outrageous personality's if for no other reason than to have something to talk about when the games start to get boring.

654087[/snapback]

Generally, GENERALLY, TV broadcasts tend show a player right after they score a TD. I guess the world is just lucky that this was one of the normal times so we could all discuss what an idiot Randy Moss is.

I'll bite.

I grew up watching Fran Tarkenton....he inspired me to play the position. I grew up watching the Purlpe People Eaters and their dominance over the NFC North.

It is hard for me to be a Viking fan, today.

It is one thing to stick by a lousy team...one that does not win...call it being a die-hard-fan. But this is not the case.

From what little I know, which is not a lot, there is so much wrong here....from the ownership all the way down and everywhere inbetween. I am not proud of today's Vikings. I am not proud at all.

As I supported in an earlier poll, I like my fantasy team better than my favorite NFL team. While the game needs personalities, the game does not need the camera on some of todays "stars." No one is ever larger than the game...ever. It was a team sport before I started to play, it was a team sport when I played and I have a funny feeling that it will be a team sport when after I die.

Moss maybe an outstanding player. He might propel any team to go further in the season, and he is paid to do a job. He is no different than the guys who celebrate after making a tackle after the RB ran for 7 yards. As one coach said, make the play and get on to the next down. As long as the cameras are on him and microphones are in his face, he will perform.....take them away and it might be different. There is no need to continually reinforce this behavior ala Rodman.

Just my opinion.

:D

I'll bite.

I grew up watching Fran Tarkenton....he inspired me to play the position.  I grew up watching the Purlpe People Eaters and their dominance over the NFC North.

It is hard for me to be a Viking fan, today.

It is one thing to stick by a lousy team...one that does not win...call it being a die-hard-fan.  But this is not the case.

From what little I know, which is not a lot, there is so much wrong here....from the ownership all the way down and everywhere inbetween.  I am not proud of today's Vikings.  I am not proud at all.

As I supported in an earlier poll, I like my fantasy team better than my favorite NFL team.  While the game needs personalities, the game does not need the camera on some of todays "stars."  No one is ever larger than the game...ever.  It was a team sport before I started to play, it was a team sport when I played and I have a funny feeling that it will be a team sport when after I die.

Moss maybe an outstanding player.  He might propel any team to go further in the season, and he is paid to do a job.  He is no different than the guys who celebrate after making a tackle after the RB ran for 7 yards.  As one coach said, make the play and get on to the next down.  As long as the cameras are on him and microphones are in his face, he will perform.....take them away and it might be different.  There is no need to continually reinforce this behavior ala Rodman. 

Just my opinion.

:D

654238[/snapback]

Excellent post..... :D

I will continue to support Moss and my Vikings until the day I die.

Here are some interesting tidbits on Moss and his effect on the Vikings offense:

MVP or Villian, Moss alters the game

This season, Moss was injured or severely limited in five games. During those games, the Vikings went 2-3. One of the victories resulted when the Lions botched an extra-point attempt; the other came against a Tennessee team that finished 5-11, when the Vikings scored only 20 points at home.

When Moss was functional, the Vikings went 7-5, earning their most impressive victories of the season -- at New Orleans, home against Jacksonville, and in the road playoff game against Green Bay.

In the five games he was hurt, the Vikings averaged 23 points. In the 12 he was functional, they averaged 27.

When he was hurt, the Vikings scored 30 points once. In the other 12 games, the Vikings scored 30 five times.

This trend -- Moss as the ultimate difference-maker -- is historic, as well as topical.

Before Moss arrived, the Vikings employed a Hall of Fame receiver in Cris Carter; an excellent offensive line; an outstanding back in Robert Smith; and an offensive coordinator, Brian Billick, who would go on to win a Super Bowl as a head coach with the Baltimore Ravens.

And yet, in the seven years before the Vikings drafted Moss, their average NFL ranking was ninth in total offense and 12th in passing offense.

In the seven years since drafting Moss, their average rankings have been fourth in total offense and fifth in passing offense.

The year they drafted Moss, the Vikings finished first in passing yards for the only time in their history. In Moss' most productive year, 2003, the Vikings achieved their only No. 1 ranking in total offense.

Fans noticed. In the seven years before Moss arrived, the Vikings drew an average attendance of 451,985 to the Metrodome. In the seven years since, they've drawn 512,769 a year.

Vikings officials cite owner Red McCombs' enthusiasm, a new sales approach, the 15-1 finish in 1998 -- and Moss' arrival.

The Dome demographic has changed from couples wearing flannel who fondly remember the old, cold, Met, to rowdy face-painters wearing Moss spamshirts.

Last week, Moss scored two touchdowns and turned his derriere toward Packer fans as the Vikings won the highest-rated televised game in Twin Cities history.

Get over this Moss crap. He is an excellent player who doesn't give a sh** about the media , what people think of him ( often his teammates included apparently ), and is a great WR talent ...one of the greatest of all time. Leave it at that. You take the good with the bad on this guy, and the good puts fans in the seats and TDs on the board. The bad allows Joe Buck to have a job because he pretends that his fake moon celebration was the most disgusting thing he has ever seen. What a sally Joe Buck is.

As I supported in an earlier poll, I like my fantasy team better than my favorite NFL team.  While the game needs personalities, the game does not need the camera on some of todays "stars."  No one is ever larger than the game...ever.  It was a team sport before I started to play, it was a team sport when I played and I have a funny feeling that it will be a team sport when after I die.

654238[/snapback]

Like you said about the cameras.....take them off of Moss and he's just another Viking. Is it his fault the cameras are on? Is it his fault he makes the big play, against the biggest rival the Vikings have? It was an emotional event and he made an emotional reaction that happened to be a little classless, but then again, so is Brett Favre hitting an LB in the mouth for no viable reason earlier in the game. Joe Buck didn't freak out about that.

Did you like what he had to say to that reporter ?

Did you like him walking off the field early ?

Do you like when he decides not to play hard ?

654111[/snapback]

Moss is just a punk. He has no respect for the game of football or the NFL. Who cares if he had a rough life...so did a lot of others. It's one thing to be a little rough around the edges...but come on. Have some concept of team, and a little respect for the game.

I would not want him on my team...he is more a drain on the team mentally and otherwise than his play can make up for.

Ben