[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Testaverde to remain the Dallas starter next year

Skrappy1

At least according to ESPN and Len Pasquarelli:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=1967669

Jones:  Testaverde to remain No. 1 in 2005

By Len Pasquarelli

Head coach Bill Parcells has yet to weigh in on the matter, at least publicly, but owner Jerry Jones reiterated Friday that the Dallas Cowboys quarterback depth chart figures to remain status quo for the 2005 season.

There have been plenty of unsubstantiated rumors that the Cowboys, who ranked 15th in passing offense in 2004, would bolster the quarterback position, perhaps with a trade for San Diego starter Drew Brees, by signing an unrestricted free agent such as Matt Hasselbeck of Seattle or by packaging their two No. 1 choices to move up in the first round and draft a promising rookie.

Even as those rumors of change swirled, the indications from inside the organization were that there would be no changes ... and that likely will be the case.

Dallas officials have already told incumbent starter Vinny Testaverde they want him back for 2005. Testaverde, who signed a one-year contract for 2004 with a base salary of $1.1 million, wants to return rather than become a free agent.

The club made a sizeable investment in Drew Henson. Jones, and presumably Parcells as well, want to afford the young quarterback an opportunity to develop into the starter. Parcells also likes No. 3 quarterback Tony Romo, a former undrafted free agent, but who has not played in two years.

"Henson has as much potential as some of the young quarterbacks coming out of college right now," Jones said during one of his weekly radio shows on KTCK/1310 AM The Ticket.

To acquire another quarterback, probably at a very high price, would essentially nullify the goal that Jones set two years ago, to develop a quarterback from within the franchise, and to not perilously skew the team's salary cap by overpaying for an outsider.

Henson started just one game, the annual Thanksgiving Day contest at Texas Stadium, as a rookie and was replaced at halftime. The former University of Michigan star, who left football and spent four seasons in the New York Yankees organization before he decided to abandon his baseball career, completed 10 of 18 passes for 78 yards.

Testaverde, 41, started the other 15 games and completed 297 of 495 attempts for 3,532 yards, with 17 touchdown passes and 20 interceptions. The 18-year veteran also was sacked 34 times. It is believed that Testaverde will be more effective if the Cowboys can mount a stronger running game in 2005 and, while Parcells has yet to address the media since the season ended, he probably feels the veteran quarterback remains his best option at the position.

I'm pretty sure Parcells is thinking a lot differently than the owner. Here comes the blowup we've all been waiting for???

I'm pretty sure Parcells is thinking a lot differently than the owner.  Here comes the blowup we've all been waiting for???

656076[/snapback]

I could most definitely see that happening...surprised it hasn't happened publicly yet.

Edited by Skrappy1

Vinny might retire.Parcells would never give a player the starting nod a year in advance.That report means nothing...

656146[/snapback]

I believe that Vinny has already said he wants to keep playing, and if Dallas has said that they want him back too, then I would think that it is a very strong possibility. If Dallas doesn't bring in another QB, then you can almost count on Vinny being the starter...if it were going to be Henson or Romo then I'd have to agree with all the Cowboy fans killing Parcells for not giving them some playing time the second half of this year.

Cowboys were special until 1996, now we're just a mediocre franchise like most pro sports franchises and as most fans know, there ain't much fun in that.

656466[/snapback]

Is this a no confidence vote for Parcells and Jerry Jones? :D

Cowboys were special until 1996, now we're just a mediocre franchise like most pro sports franchises and as most fans know, there ain't much fun in that.

656466[/snapback]

Did you say the same thing in 88' and 89'?, only to jump back on the bandwagon in time for the first of three Cowboy's SB wins? To call the Cowboy's a mediocre sports franchise is ludicris, they've won 5 SB's!! That's like saying the Yankee's are just another baseball team. The current version is mediocre, but do you really believe this team will stay like this for long? You have a lot of pieces in place...good young RB, budding star at TE, good, young talent on defense(Newman, Williams, Ellis is a little older but still qualifies) and two first round draft picks this coming season. Let's just say they address the QB situation in the off-season(Jon Kitna perhaps) and pick up say a Mike Williams in the draft, that would give Henson time to grow into the role (if he ever does) and the offense will be more than capable...not great, but good enough to put points on the board. Fill in some deficiancies on the defensive side of the ball (pass rusher, corner) and this team would be a legitimate playoff contender. I know this is a lot of "if's" but in todays NFL, you can always say "why not us" look at the Chargers. You call them "mediocre" I reserve that term for teams like Arizona, Cleveland, Chicago and Detroit.

I'm not terribly comfortable with the overall handling of this situation but I do agree wholeheartedly with this qoute from the article...

"To acquire another quarterback, probably at a very high price, would essentially nullify the goal that Jones set two years ago, to develop a quarterback from within the franchise, and to not perilously skew the team's salary cap by overpaying for an outsider."

Of course, that whole point is moot if they can get someone without overpaying.

This shouldn't be a big suprise. Romo has been around for 3 years, if he was good enough to start, he would of gotten a chance. He!!, at one time he was playing behind Carter and the biggest NFL bust to ever grace a football field, Ryan Leaf.

As for Henson, don't you think that if he had any talent at all Parcells would have spotted it. Look for him or Romo to head for the European Leagues to get some experience.

So unless the cowboys are willing to dive in the FA pool for a quality QB (if one is available) it's another year of Vinny. Even if they take a QB in the draft, it will still be Vinny for at least a year until the rookie earns Parcell's trust.

So next year, The Italian Wonder (or is that Blunder) will be the man. Who knows, with a year under his belt, all the injuried back, a decent draft, and guys like Whitten, JJ, etc... It could be a decent year.

Did you say the same thing in 88' and 89'?, only to jump back on the bandwagon in time for the first of three Cowboy's SB wins? To call the Cowboy's a mediocre sports franchise is ludicris, they've won 5 SB's!! That's like saying the Yankee's are just another baseball team. The current version is mediocre, but do you really believe this team will stay like this for long? You have a lot of pieces in place...good young RB, budding star at TE, good, young talent on defense(Newman, Williams, Ellis is a little older but still qualifies) and two first round draft picks this coming season. Let's just say they address the QB situation in the off-season(Jon Kitna perhaps) and pick up say a Mike Williams in the draft, that would give Henson time to grow into the role (if he ever does) and the offense will be more than capable...not great, but good enough to put points on the board. Fill in some deficiancies on the defensive side of the ball (pass rusher, corner) and this team would be a legitimate playoff contender. I know this is a lot of "if's" but in todays NFL, you can always say "why not us" look at the Chargers. You call them "mediocre" I reserve that term for teams like Arizona, Cleveland, Chicago and Detroit.

656791[/snapback]

I've never jumped off the bandwagon, just don't think its an elite bandwagon anymore.

You obviously do not know the situation in Dallas a bit.  Parcells has a man crush on Testaverde and convinced Jones not to go after another QB when they released Carter and give the reigns to Testaverde.  Parcells defended Testeverde every game he clearly f*cked up the Boys chance to win games, and ripped other players like the WRs for not getting open when Testaverde threw picks.  Testaverde is exactly who Parcells wants to play and Jones and Parcells only open disagreement this season was when Henson was pulled to start after the half of the Thanksgiving day for Testaverde vs the Bears. Jones wanted to see henson finish that game, and Parcells wanted his boy Testaverde to lead the team to the win.

Get a clue before you open your piehole again.

656961[/snapback]

Hey, opinions are like Sgt. Ryans. Everybody has one.

Despite Parcells man crush on Testaverde, I'll give the man enough credit with all he's done to know in his heart at some point in the next few months that Teste just won't get him there. You Sarge, like all of us mortals do not know for sure.

• 1 month later...
You obviously do not know the situation in Dallas a bit.  Parcells has a man crush on Testaverde and convinced Jones not to go after another QB when they released Carter and give the reigns to Testaverde.  Parcells defended Testeverde every game he clearly f*cked up the Boys chance to win games, and ripped other players like the WRs for not getting open when Testaverde threw picks.  Testaverde is exactly who Parcells wants to play and Jones and Parcells only open disagreement this season was when Henson was pulled to start after the half of the Thanksgiving day for Testaverde vs the Bears. Jones wanted to see henson finish that game, and Parcells wanted his boy Testaverde to lead the team to the win.

Get a clue before you open your piehole again.

656961[/snapback]

In light of the situation in Dallas right now I couldn't help but bring this one back up to the top. Apparently I had a clue after all. Clued in and piehole open.

Classic.