[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Burress Likely Played His Last Game For Pittsburgh

Menudo

Burress As Good As Gone

My thoughts before reading this was that I wanted them to do everything they can to sign this guy. However, after reading this, I say good riddance. The Steelers have developed a group of good "team" players, and Burress complaining about not getting the ball does not fit in. With Burress leaving and Kendrell Bell likely to be shown the door, I hope the Steelers look to bring in Muhammad. I know his price tag would be large, but he would be an upgrade over Burress. If we can't bring in a solid guy then we need to try to trade up in the draft for a quality receiver. The Steelers can afford to trade up this year, as they don't have a ton of holes to fill. Not being arrogant, but they are pretty solid across the board. Need an O-Lineman for depth, I would love a stud TE, and with Burress leaving, they definitely need a WR. Anyway, here is the article from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

Frustrated Burress says it's likely his final game with Steelers

Monday, January 24, 2005

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana, Post-Gazette

Plaxico Burress drops a 3-yard pass on a fade route in the end zone as he is defended by safety Eugene Wilson (26) and cornerback Asanti Samuel (22).

Click photo for larger image.

Plaxico Burress took his time getting dressed, sighing occasionally, taking a couple deep breaths, even sneezing. Finally, after flinging on a mink coat and donning a knit cap, he turned around and all but waved goodbye to the Steelers.

Burress is an unrestricted free agent, and he sounded as if last night's 41-27 loss to the New England Patriots in the AFC championship game was his final game in a Steelers uniform.

"Everybody tells me how important I am to the team," Burress said. "But I can't justify that right now.

"Just look at the whole season. You saw it. I thought I would have made a little bit of an impact. But that's the game plan."

Burress was upset that he caught just three passes for 37 yards against the Patriots, intimating he was not a big factor in the game plan employed by offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

But Burress had chances to make several big plays for the Steelers, including when he dropped a 3-yard pass on a fade route in the end zone in which he easily towered over Asanti Samuel, a 5-foot-10 cornerback.

The touchdown would have cut the Patriots' lead to 31-24 with more than 14 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. Instead, the Steelers had to settle for a 20-yard field goal by Jeff Reed.

In the second quarter, Burress appeared to beat Samuel down the left sideline for a deep pass from Ben Roethlisberger. But Burress lost his footing before he could make a play on the ball and the pass fell incomplete.

"I just don't feel like I'm involved," Burress said. "That's my personal feeling. That's the way I feel."

Burress caught a meaningless 7-yard touchdown from Roethlisberger with 52 seconds remaining, beating former teammate Hank Poteat in the corner of the end zone. But the outcome had long been determined.

Burress said he was not being critical of Roethlisberger, who was intercepted three times by the Patriots, which includes one that was returned 87 yards for touchdown by safety Rodney Harrison.

"Ben's a good quarterback, no question about it. He's going to be a great quarterback. You can see he has all the attributes. There's nothing he can't do. But things just don't fit. Somebody has to make a change."

The Steelers will try to re-sign Burress, but he likely will receive a big offer on the free-agent market that would preclude any real attempt to reach a contract agreement. Part of that is because the Steelers have told three-time Pro Bowl receiver Hines Ward he would be a "priority" to have his contract extended. Ward's contract expires after the 2005 season.

Asked if that was his last game with the Steelers, Burress said, "Probably so."

Then he added, "It's Pittsburgh, which speaks for itself. They're not going to change. I'm not going to change. Three or four balls just doesn't suit me very well."

Ward finished with five catches for 109 yards, including a 30-yard catch-and-run for touchdown that cut the Patriots' lead to 31-17. He said he hasn't even thought if Burress will be back next season.

"That's far from what I'm thinking about right now," Ward said. "I'm not thinking about next year and who's going to be here. It's not something I can control anyway."

Burress' numbers were not lofty because he missed five of the final six games during the regular season with a hamstring injury. He had 35 catches, but his per-catch average of 19.9 was second only to Denver's Ashley Lelie (20.1) among the top 42 receivers in the AFC.

He also insisted he is not interested in being the team's No. 1 receiver. He merely wants to be more involved, and he said last night was another example that he isn't.

"I said that at the beginning of the year -- all I want to do is win football games," Burress said. "If you got guys who can go out and make plays, you should give them an opportunity to go out and make plays.

"Put some onus on our shoulders. Let us go out and get some things going. I can't change that."

He might, though, change his address.

i agree that he should be gone. If the Steelers can't find someone in the draft or free agency to stretch the field, they can at least promote Randle-El to compliment Ward (a class act), and not disrupt the chemistry.

i think Ben's numbers will improve with after a full year under his belt, a little time to heal his thumb and hit the weights, and many many hours in the tape room. But with the Bus likely gone (Staley is not going to be able to shoulder the load for a full year), an exposed secondary and a coaching staff that has never had success at developing a QB, PITT's record will be 11-5 at best... and they will never win a Super Bowl as long as Cohwer is there.

To prolong the inevitable slide, they need to shore up the secondary, find a RB to learn the system and take over in a year, and a WR to take the pressure of Ward and Roth.

JMHO

Randel El's looked pretty good when he's been in there. He could be the #2, No?

670046[/snapback]

Randel El makes a better slot reciever IMO. I would like to see them go after a bigger reciever like Muhammad as someone (I think Steelers) stated earlier. Mays may be able to be that guy.....we may find out if Burress ends up leaving and they don't bring anyone else it.

I've been saying and thinking that Burress' days were limited for a long time now. It is really frustrating to watch him, IMO. He is very capable of a big catch but he never digs in there and comes up with a hard catch. A star WR makes some good catches for his QB. That is what I love about Hines. This guy goes after the ball like it is the last pass that he is ever going to be thrown.

Randle El is as someone else said a good slot WR. He is not going to take over Plaxico's spot. They will have to either draft or go after someone in free agency.

I didn't read the article.  I've always said Plax is a punk-ass thug who can't cold a candle to Hines.  If Lee Mays can learn to catch the ball, be can easily replace Mr. Halfhearted, Candy-arse, Randy-Moss-I-Play_When-I-Want-To-Play-Wanna-Be Burress.

669665[/snapback]

I actually agree with Squeegie about this :D

:D We'll take him. But why can't you guys allow the guy some time to be frustrated before you run him out of town?

For whatever reason he's never achieved what I think he should. Size, speed, physical ability all seem to be not be the issues keeping Plax from being listed with Moss, Owens and Harrison. What, he lacks the desire and work ethic? Doesn't sound like a lack of desire to win to me. Poor work ethic? Maybe but I have a hard time believing that with Ward around. So what is it?

I don't know and maybe it is time for a parting of the ways but all you Steeler fans coming in here and saying he's a no talent thug and don't let the door hit him, really should look in the mirror. What you'll see is the same thing your all over Plaxico about, frustration. See what you think in a week, otherwise, if the price is right, he'd be welcome down here.

As a side note, I don't know what game Gerry Dulac was watching but that article makes it sound like Burress dropped a 3 yard TD pass. Pretty bad pass considering the play.

:D We'll take him.  But why can't you guys allow the guy some time to be frustrated before you run him out of town?

For whatever reason he's never achieved what I think he should.  Size, speed, physical ability all seem to be not be the issues keeping Plax from being listed with Moss, Owens and Harrison.  What, he lacks the desire and work ethic?  Doesn't sound like a lack of desire to win to me.  Poor work ethic?  Maybe but I have a hard time believing that with Ward around.  So what is it? 

670349[/snapback]

Ummm.....doesn't "physical ability" include the ability to hold onto the ball?

Every time I see this guy he's dropping passes.

I wish there was an official "pass catching percentage" in the NFL to track how many balls hit guys on the hands and how many of those they actually catch(similar to a fielding percentage in baseball). The guy can't catch!

As a side note, I don't know what game Gerry Dulac was watching but that article makes it sound like Burress dropped a 3 yard TD pass.  Pretty bad pass considering the play.

670349[/snapback]

I was glad to read this, because based on this article as well as a couple of posts in the Rothlisberger thread, I felt like I was the only one who did not see that as a drop. What does everyone else think?

Burress does seem to have alot of physical tools, but I'm not sure if he's all that fast. I say this only because of some of the comments Jets DB David Barrett made in the week before we played the Steelers. Is this guy sorta' slow, as Barrett insinuated? Barrett also said at the time that it was pretty easy to jam Burress at the line, which would be quite an indictment if it's true, given Burress' size advantage over any corner in the league.

:D We'll take him.  But why can't you guys allow the guy some time to be frustrated before you run him out of town?

For whatever reason he's never achieved what I think he should.  Size, speed, physical ability all seem to be not be the issues keeping Plax from being listed with Moss, Owens and Harrison.  What, he lacks the desire and work ethic?  Doesn't sound like a lack of desire to win to me.  Poor work ethic?  Maybe but I have a hard time believing that with Ward around.  So what is it? 

I don't know and maybe it is time for a parting of the ways but all you Steeler fans coming in here and saying he's a no talent thug and don't let the door hit him, really should look in the mirror.  What you'll see is the same thing your all over Plaxico about, frustration.  See what you think in a week, otherwise, if the price is right, he'd be welcome down here.     

As a side note, I don't know what game Gerry Dulac was watching but that article makes it sound like Burress dropped a 3 yard TD pass.  Pretty bad pass considering the play.

670349[/snapback]

well said Club :D

But why can't you guys allow the guy some time to be frustrated before you run him out of town?

I don't know and maybe it is time for a parting of the ways but all you Steeler fans coming in here and saying he's a no talent thug and don't let the door hit him, really should look in the mirror.  What you'll see is the same thing your all over Plaxico about, frustration.  See what you think in a week, otherwise, if the price is right, he'd be welcome down here.     

670349[/snapback]

I agree (Wow!, don't tell anyone)

When I read the article, it appeared to be just that to me, frustration. I don't follow the Steelers, but if you guys are gonna take these quotes and start the "Good Riddance" train, you need anti-sensitivity training. Again, this article is all I've seen......but Geezaloo, this guys got nothin' on Corey Dillon (you remember him, the new poster boy for TEAM football). Frustration in Cincinnati was justified, NO DOUBT, but Dillon went to great lengths before, during and after he signed a MEGA-deal.

Ummm.....doesn't "physical ability" include the ability to hold onto the ball?

Every time I see this guy he's dropping passes.

I wish there was an official "pass catching percentage" in the NFL to track how many balls hit guys on the hands and how many of those they actually catch(similar to a fielding percentage in baseball).  The guy can't catch!

670378[/snapback]

Well then there's no doubt that his new team will be.......the Seattle Seahawks.

670349[/snapback]

How many Steelers games have you watched over the last year or two?

Dude has the talent. He chooses not to use it, at least no where near 100% on every play. He will not go up for a ball if it means exposing his body. He does not fight for yards after the catch. He does not lay out for the ball - ever. He lollygags at the line of scrimmage on running plays.

Perhaps we're just spoiled by Hines Ward.

I didn't read the article.  I've always said Plax is a punk-ass thug who can't cold a candle to Hines.  If Lee Mays can learn to catch the ball, be can easily replace Mr. Halfhearted, Candy-arse, Randy-Moss-I-Play_When-I-Want-To-Play-Wanna-Be Burress.

669665[/snapback]

Nicely said. You could have used a "Leon" reference, but you covered all the bases. :D

How many Steelers games have you watched over the last year or two? 

670455[/snapback]

Enough to know the bang-to-buck ratio of Plax should match the bang-to-hype ratio but it does not.

Dude has the talent.  He chooses not to use it, at least no where near 100% on every play.  He will not go up for a ball if it means exposing his body.  He does not fight for yards after the catch.  He does not lay out for the ball - ever.  He lollygags at the line of scrimmage on running plays.

670455[/snapback]

I'm not sure I agree 100%. Sounds to me he could use a good mentor to get his head straight then. I'd never claim he's achieved his potential but seems to me if your eyes work at all it is undoubtedly there. Depending on the price it'd certainly be worth it to me for my team to try and get the guy to achieve it. That would go extra if I were a Steelers fan given the weapons of Ward, Staley and Roethlisberger. The only drawback is that he says he refuses to be the team's #2. Oh wait, he said he'd be willing to do that.

With Ben going into year two and the possible retirement of Bettis there's no reason for this offense to do exactly what Burress wants done anyway, open it up. Pretty late in the game and you guys were still trying to establish the freaking run. I know why, you had to do it, I'm not calling that bad coaching but in this same game next year this offense should be lighting the place up with a 12 year WR playing CB in the nickle assuming they've got a two year veteran at QB; a healthy Staley; and, Ward and Burress playing at their potentials.

Perhaps we're just spoiled by Hines Ward.

670455[/snapback]

Seems a pretty lame reason to chase off Plax given he hasn't even sniffed his full potential.

Burress As Good As Gone

My thoughts before reading this was that I wanted them to do everything they can to sign this guy.  However, after reading this, I say good riddance.  The Steelers have developed a group of good "team" players, and Burress complaining about not getting the ball does not fit in.  With Burress leaving and Kendrell Bell likely to be shown the door, I hope the Steelers look to bring in Muhammad.  I know his price tag would be large, but he would be an upgrade over Burress.  If we can't bring in a solid guy then we need to try to trade up in the draft for a quality receiver.  The Steelers can afford to trade up this year, as they don't have a ton of holes to fill.  Not being arrogant, but they are pretty solid across the board.  Need an O-Lineman for depth, I would love a stud TE, and with Burress leaving, they definitely need a WR.  Anyway, here is the article from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

Frustrated Burress says it's likely his final game with Steelers

Monday, January 24, 2005

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana, Post-Gazette

Plaxico Burress drops a 3-yard pass on a fade route in the end zone as he is defended by safety Eugene Wilson (26) and cornerback Asanti Samuel (22).

Click photo for larger image.

Plaxico Burress took his time getting dressed, sighing occasionally, taking a couple deep breaths, even sneezing. Finally, after flinging on a mink coat and donning a knit cap, he turned around and all but waved goodbye to the Steelers.

Burress is an unrestricted free agent, and he sounded as if last night's 41-27 loss to the New England Patriots in the AFC championship game was his final game in a Steelers uniform.

"Everybody tells me how important I am to the team," Burress said. "But I can't justify that right now.

"Just look at the whole season. You saw it. I thought I would have made a little bit of an impact. But that's the game plan."

Burress was upset that he caught just three passes for 37 yards against the Patriots, intimating he was not a big factor in the game plan employed by offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt.

But Burress had chances to make several big plays for the Steelers, including when he dropped a 3-yard pass on a fade route in the end zone in which he easily towered over Asanti Samuel, a 5-foot-10 cornerback.

The touchdown would have cut the Patriots' lead to 31-24 with more than 14 minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. Instead, the Steelers had to settle for a 20-yard field goal by Jeff Reed.

In the second quarter, Burress appeared to beat Samuel down the left sideline for a deep pass from Ben Roethlisberger. But Burress lost his footing before he could make a play on the ball and the pass fell incomplete.

"I just don't feel like I'm involved," Burress said. "That's my personal feeling. That's the way I feel."

Burress caught a meaningless 7-yard touchdown from Roethlisberger with 52 seconds remaining, beating former teammate Hank Poteat in the corner of the end zone. But the outcome had long been determined.

Burress said he was not being critical of Roethlisberger, who was intercepted three times by the Patriots, which includes one that was returned 87 yards for touchdown by safety Rodney Harrison.

"Ben's a good quarterback, no question about it. He's going to be a great quarterback. You can see he has all the attributes. There's nothing he can't do. But things just don't fit. Somebody has to make a change."

The Steelers will try to re-sign Burress, but he likely will receive a big offer on the free-agent market that would preclude any real attempt to reach a contract agreement. Part of that is because the Steelers have told three-time Pro Bowl receiver Hines Ward he would be a "priority" to have his contract extended. Ward's contract expires after the 2005 season.

Asked if that was his last game with the Steelers, Burress said, "Probably so."

Then he added, "It's Pittsburgh, which speaks for itself. They're not going to change. I'm not going to change. Three or four balls just doesn't suit me very well."

Ward finished with five catches for 109 yards, including a 30-yard catch-and-run for touchdown that cut the Patriots' lead to 31-17. He said he hasn't even thought if Burress will be back next season.

"That's far from what I'm thinking about right now," Ward said. "I'm not thinking about next year and who's going to be here. It's not something I can control anyway."

Burress' numbers were not lofty because he missed five of the final six games during the regular season with a hamstring injury. He had 35 catches, but his per-catch average of 19.9 was second only to Denver's Ashley Lelie (20.1) among the top 42 receivers in the AFC.

He also insisted he is not interested in being the team's No. 1 receiver. He merely wants to be more involved, and he said last night was another example that he isn't.

"I said that at the beginning of the year -- all I want to do is win football games," Burress said. "If you got guys who can go out and make plays, you should give them an opportunity to go out and make plays.

"Put some onus on our shoulders. Let us go out and get some things going. I can't change that."

He might, though, change his address.

669652[/snapback]

Who's this Patriot fan who seems so interested in the Steelers? :D

Burress has always frustrated me because he plays smaller than his height. Time and again he lets the ball come down to his chest, effectively giving up his height advantage, and allowing smaller DBs to go up for the ball and knock it away. The guy needs to go up for the ball like Moss does in jump ball situations... not wait for it to come to him. Plax does this ALL THE TIME and I can't imagine the Steekers coaching staff hasn't addressed it with him.

Regarding the "drop" in the AFCC game yesterday.... it would have been a tough catch, but one I expect Steeler WRs to make.... especially when that WR thinks he's being underutilized.... catch the *** ball and you'll get more opportunities. Further, he NEVER makes that catch so the call was frusrating to begin with, then while the ball is in the air I know Plax isn't going to catch it, then he does infact follow through and not come down with the ball like he does all to often... it was soooo predictiable that he wouldn't catch it.

Anyway, in short... I think they can do without a WR who complains and does nothing more than stretch the field and NOT make the tough catch, while displaying horrible ball skills and giving up his height advatngage.

670349[/snapback]

Actually, I think Burress is very talented and don't have the bad things to say about him that some other do. However, he has hinted before this article in an interview on NFL Radio on Sirius that he wants to play for a team that plays in better weather in which HE can put up better numbers. That is not an attitude that fits in with what the Steeelers are trying to do. If he changes his attitude and wants to stay, I'm fine with it. However, if he cares more about Plaxico than he does the Steelers, than good riddance.

All I know about Plaxico is that he'd be our #1 WR here in KC in a heartbeat... Besides, if he came here and was half-assing it, I'd like to think that our fabulous OL-men, Gonzo and Priest would make his pride shrink...