[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let's talk about Joey Harrington

Dr. Rock

I saw this blurb in a CNNSI article, and it got me thinking.

Harrington in 2004 established career bests in wins (six), completion percentage (56.0), passing yards (3,047), touchdown passes (19), interceptions (a low of 12), and rating (77.5).

Not that he's been great by any means - but the Lions have never had any semblence of a run game. He put up his best career numbers his 3rd year, and we all know years 3-5 are when QBs generally starting putting it all together. With the talent they have on offense in Detroit (Rogers, RWilliams, Hakim and KJones), should they go after another QB or should they hold off and hope for a Brees-like resurgence?

I've got the medicine you need

I've got the power, I've got the speed

I'll find out how to stop your clock

We sure ain't talking Doctor Spock

Hear me talking, Doctor Rock.

Off topic, but I've always wanted to post those lyrics right after Dr. Rock put something up.

I've got the medicine you need

I've got the power, I've got the speed

I'll find out how to stop your clock

We sure ain't talking Doctor Spock

Hear me talking, Doctor Rock.

Off topic, but I've always wanted to post those lyrics right after Dr. Rock put something up.

705610[/snapback]

:D:DB):D

What is that?

They'll bring in a "backup" this offseason. My guess is that Garcia will come into the D. Hopefully it will motivate Harrington, and he'll do well. If he doesn't, we need a quality backup who can take over the game. Harrington gained alot of respect from me with the "flu" game. Maybe Mooch has him thinking too much out there. Let the kid go out there and fling the bean.

The talk is definitely a veteran to challenge Joey in preseason. I think the Garcia talk has cooled. I expect Kurt Warner to be the veteran to come in. I'm not sure I like it but I think that is who it will be. I heard Chris Mortenson discussing this on a local sports talkshow the other day. Apparently Garcia isn't a great fit here because our young receivers are more down the field type guys. Garcia has never had the patience to stay in the pocket and let those type of plays develop. He likes to operate outside the pocket.

In either case, I'm hopeful that Joey does have his breakout year next season. He has all the tools at his disposal - given that Charles Rogers is healthy.

Home field advantage at the Super Bowl next season. :D Egret has been saying that for a while.

That's the chorus of "Dr. Rock" by Motorhead, off their Rock'n'Roll album.

705647[/snapback]

DAMMIT!!

I was reading this thread, and couldn't wait to answer that myself.

Greatest, and first, use of Motorhead lyrics on a thread ever (that I have seen of course).

Too late, you cant catch up now,

You face the wrong way anyhow,

I know you ain't got teh brain,

To come in out of the rain,

Too bad, no magic, I'm afraid youre really tragic,

No Class

A Harrington thread getting hijacked for Motorhead.  Who'd a thunk it?  Do they anyone that can challenge Joey?

705767[/snapback]

Don't knock the Motorhead. I have another question for you:

Who would win in a wrestling match? Lemmy (von Killmeister, singer/bass of Motorhead) or God?

The talk is definitely a veteran to challenge Joey in preseason.  I think the Garcia talk has cooled.

Yes. From what I hear, Mooch is lobbying hard for Garcia, but the rest of the organization is basically telling him no. See, the thing is that Mooch fine-tuned his flavor of the WCO to Garcia's strengths over the years--but those aren't Harrington's strengths. From Millen on down, they have decreed they will throw downfield more often, and brought in an OC who can help them with that. The other factor is the two speed-burner, big-play, deep-threat WRs the passing game will feature, as you mention. Bringing in Garcia would run counter to all of these philosophical changes, and also not push Mooch to change his approach as much.

I expect Kurt Warner to be the veteran to come in.  I'm not sure I like it but I think that is who it will be.  I heard Chris Mortenson discussing this on a local sports talkshow the other day.

No. Warner is done, but he still thinks he's a starter. The Lions want to bring in a capable backup, one who can teach Joey, take over if Joey fails, and maybe make him sweat a little--not one sitting on the bench complaining that he should be starting. If he were happy to be a backup, he'd be a backup in New York.

In either case, I'm hopeful that Joey does have his breakout year next season.  He has all the tools at his disposal - given that Charles Rogers is healthy.

If Rogers, Williams, and Jones are healthy, and they address the OL in some fashion in the offseason, I don't think there's any way Harrington can fail--and if he takes as big of a step forward this year as he did last year, the offense is going to EXPLODE. Jones will be seeing a lot of eight-man fronts at the beginning, and either Rogers or Williams is going to be open, deep, on almost every play. I can't wait to see this develop.

Home field advantage at the Super Bowl next season.  :D Egret has been saying that for a while.

705654[/snapback]

I've been saying it for a while, too . . . and in today's NFL, who knows? Easy schedule, #10 pick in every round, plenty of youth and speed and talent, and the remaining holes are easy ones to fill (OG, TE, S). It's not as farfetched as it sounds . . . didn't the Panthers just go from 6-10 to the Super Bowl a couple years ago?

Peace

policy

No.  Warner is done, but he still thinks he's a starter.  The Lions want to bring in a capable backup, one who can teach Joey, take over if Joey fails, and maybe make him sweat a little--not one sitting on the bench complaining that he should be starting.  If he were happy to be a backup, he'd be a backup in New York.

705834[/snapback]

I absolutely agree with you that Warner won't be happy to come in as a backup. What I think will happen, is that M&M will lead him to believe that it's an open competition (which maybe it will be). He'll come here thinking he has a legitimate chance at starting - if not the first game, very soon afterward if Joey falters. I think the pressure will be paramount from the fans if Harrington struggles out of the gate, fair or unfair.

Edited by Puddy

Warner is done, but he still thinks he's a starter.  The Lions want to bring in a capable backup, one who can teach Joey, take over if Joey fails, and maybe make him sweat a little--not one sitting on the bench complaining that he should be starting.  If he were happy to be a backup, he'd be a backup in New York.

705834[/snapback]

Good post Policy. I agree, Warner is done. I think he can still make a nice back-up, but he is no better than Harrington at this point, and without the benefit and upside of youth. He doesn't appear to be able to throw the ball downfield anymore, and with that being so, I don't see how he'd be any better an option than Garcia...plus he is a turnover machine.

If Rogers, Williams, and Jones are healthy, and they address the OL in some fashion in the offseason, I don't think there's any way Harrington can fail--and if he takes as big of a step forward this year as he did last year, the offense is going to EXPLODE.  Jones will be seeing a lot of eight-man fronts at the beginning, and either Rogers or Williams is going to be open, deep, on almost every play.  I can't wait to see this develop.
I also agree with you here, and would go so far as to say that I think Harrington makes a nice sleeper QB pick for next year. He's still young and has never had a particularly strong supporting cast around him. If Williams, Rogers and Jones can stay healthy next year (and that has to be considered a fairly big question mark as none of them has shown they can remain healthy through a full NFL season yet), Harrington and the Lions' O should put up very nice numbers.

Don't knock the Motorhead. I have another question for you:

Who would win in a wrestling match? Lemmy (von Killmeister, singer/bass of Motorhead) or God?

705773[/snapback]

Lemmy, hands down. The man gargles glass for breakfast fer Christ's sake.

That's the chorus of "Dr. Rock" by Motorhead, off their Rock'n'Roll album.

705647[/snapback]

I always figured Dr. Rock liked Ween.

"Don't conceal your tragic flaw -- give the Dr. Rock a call

Dr. Rock -- come quickly to see the scene

Dr. Rock -- got everything that you need"

A Harrington thread getting hijacked for Motorhead.  Who'd a thunk it?  Do they anyone that can challenge Joey?

705767[/snapback]

Obviously, there's a contingent that believes the Lions would be a contender if only they'd put Lemmy in at QB. :D

Lemmy, hands down. The man gargles glass for breakfast fer Christ's sake.

706394[/snapback]

Trick question, ass hole - Lemmy IS God! (quote from the film Airheads - which features a cameo by Lemmy where he claims to have been editor of his school paper)

Throw downfield??? Harrington can't hit the broad side of a barn at 10 yards. I'm not sure he can even throw the ball past 20 yards. The guy is a bum. There's always excuses; the running game, receivers, OL... the fact is the only constant in the Lions crappy performance the last few years is Harrington. Jones started running wild last season, Roy Williams was exciting, the other receivers were reasonable, and the offensive line played relatively well, especially in pass protection. Harrington is the problem. No accuracy, no arm strength, and, my absolute favorite, throwing the one yard completion on third and 7.

Throw downfield??? Harrington can't hit the broad side of a barn at 10 yards.  I'm not sure he can even throw the ball past 20 yards.  The guy is a bum.  There's always excuses; the running game, receivers, OL... the fact is the only constant in the Lions crappy performance the last few years is Harrington.  Jones started running wild last season, Roy Williams was exciting, the other receivers were reasonable, and the offensive line played relatively well, especially in pass protection.  Harrington is the problem.  No accuracy, no arm strength, and, my absolute favorite, throwing the one yard completion on third and 7.

708358[/snapback]

I'm not sure you've been watching. Williams was exciting until Week 4, when he got hurt, missed time, and wasn't playing at any better than 65-70% the rest of the season. The other WRs were reasonable? Scotty Vines, David Kircus, and Reggie Swinton equate to "reasonable" in your mind?

Harrington had some bad throws, but every QB--including Manning--has bad throws in every game. Lions fans have been dissecting QBs for so long that they forget their heads. Watch any non-Lions NFL game, and look as deeply into every single thrown ball. You will come away saying McNabb sucks, Culpepper sucks, Vick sucks, Brady sucks, etc., etc., etc. until you realize that no QB is perfect every down. The OL was decent this year, but niether Backus nor McDougle can handle edge rushers with any speed. Harrington is usually waiting for any of his terrible WRs to get open, and half the time they aren't on the same page anyway. I'd love to see the numbers on how many practice reps he's gotten with how many WRs . . . you have to be able to build timing and chemistry, and he spends all of TC and preseason with one group of guys, then goes through the regular season throwing to the scout team instead.

Whatever.

Peace

policy

Glad to see someone defending Harrington. I was shocked to hear the talk about cutting him earlier. That would be crazy. The guy hasn't had much of an opportunity to do anything, because he hasn't been surrounded by NFL talent. Next year is make or break for him though. . .