[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eagles enter bid to steal Burress

Joe Public

SI reports, The Philadelphia Eagles have made thier way into the Burress sweepstakes, and Minny seems to have regained interest. It's funny how he skips his visit to NY, and now 2 more teams are engaging in setting up a meeting. I hate saying this but if the Eagles sign Burress and both he & Owens stay healthy, they'll win the Super Bowl next year .

Plaxico Burress, the top receiver remaining on the free-agent market, did not make his scheduled visit to the Giants yesterday. Instead he remained home in Miami nursing a case of the flu. The market had appeared to dry up for the 27-year-old receiver. But late last night there were indications the Vikings had reconsidered and now were interested. And there was a report that the Eagles suddenly were interested.

-- New York Daily News

This is just specualtion at this point.

Burress is asking for Muhammy type money. He knows he's the best FA WR left and his agent may be fueling a bidding war. If the Eagles want to get caught up in that, go for it. I don't think they need him.

I still see Minny signing him with all that cap room. I hope this happens because I do not want the Giants to sign him. Thankfully, I don't think they can with less than $5.6 mil left (doesn't include the Feely, Miller and Cloud signings)

You'd only have had to seen 4 games to know what he knows.  :D

725298[/snapback]

Not the Monday Night game though :D

Burress is asking for Muhammy type money.  He knows he's the best FA WR left and his agent may be fueling a bidding war.  If the Eagles want to get caught up in that, go for it.  I don't think they need him.

I still see Minny signing him with all that cap room.  I hope this happens because I do not want the Giants to sign him.  Thankfully, I don't think they can with less than $5.6 mil left (doesn't include the Feely, Miller and Cloud signings)

725314[/snapback]

Not if tho FO does a little contract restructuring!!!

725456[/snapback]

Let's hope they've taken some lessons over the years from other clubs and their artistic ways of manipulating cap money. Even if they faulter with Burress, they had a very uncharacteristic offseason in FA. I guess you have to walk before you run but, they've done very well so far.

725456[/snapback]

Restructuring worries me because that indicates they're trying to make it work for this year, when we're clearly rebuilding around Eli. Moving money to future years just to get Burress is the wrong move IMO.

As jgcoach said, they've done a great job already. Hurting future caps for a guy like Burress isn't worth it, not for the money he's asking.

Restructuring worries me because that indicates they're trying to make it work for this year, when we're clearly rebuilding around Eli.  Moving money to future years just to get Burress is the wrong move IMO.

As jgcoach said, they've done a great job already.  Hurting future caps for a guy like Burress isn't worth it, not for the money he's asking.

725860[/snapback]

Plaxico IMO is a fit in Giant land...."restructuring worries you"??? Plaxico is a Vet (and not an old one)...he has baggage, but look at what the Giants have at WR!! What are you suggesting take a WR in first round? Eli has to have someone to throw to....maybe, just maybe Plaxico going there and being the #1 (possibly) would get him to step up and become a leader and a great target for Eli...plus getting Plaxico would allow Giants to concentrate on "O" line and "D" with first cou[ple picks!! :D

Plaxico IMO is a fit in Giant land...."restructuring worries you"???  Plaxico is a Vet (and not an old one)...he has baggage, but look at what the Giants have at WR!!  What are you suggesting take a WR in first round?  Eli has to have someone to throw to....maybe, just maybe Plaxico going there and being the #1 (possibly) would get him to step up and become a leader and a great target for Eli...plus getting Plaxico would allow Giants to concentrate on "O" line and "D" with first cou[ple picks!! :D

725994[/snapback]

We don't have a first round pick this year! :doah:

Actually the only Eagle games to memory are

2001 NFC Champ

2002 NFC Champ

2003 NFC Champ

2004 SB

Oh and what was it week 13 when Roy Williams broke TOs leg.  :D

Have the birds even played other games than these  :D

726148[/snapback]

Yeah. They got their asses handed to them by the Steelers on November 7, 2004.

I think this is just his agent trying to warrant more money out of the Giants and throw this into a higher bidding war between the Vikes and Giants..

I mean, even the fact that his agent has stated that Burress is willing to take a 1 year deal so he can have a larger payoff next season should basically say everything you need to know about this situation....

I think this is just his agent trying to warrant more money out of the Giants and throw this into a higher bidding war between the Vikes and Giants..

I mean, even the fact that his agent has stated that Burress is willing to take a 1 year deal so he can have a larger payoff next season should basically say everything you need to know about this situation....

727340[/snapback]

That appears to be the case. I've never been a huge fan of Burress, but the Giants need a WR or two in the worst possible way, and he is clearly the best of what's left available. They don't even have a #1 pick this year to try and draft a receiver. They almost have to sign him IMO...at this point it's either him or David Boston. :D

Plaxico IMO is a fit in Giant land...."restructuring worries you"???  Plaxico is a Vet (and not an old one)...he has baggage, but look at what the Giants have at WR!!  What are you suggesting take a WR in first round?  Eli has to have someone to throw to....maybe, just maybe Plaxico going there and being the #1 (possibly) would get him to step up and become a leader and a great target for Eli...plus getting Plaxico would allow Giants to concentrate on "O" line and "D" with first cou[ple picks!! :D

725994[/snapback]

Yes, restructuring would worry me. Especially if we're doing it to pay a guy who wasn't even the best receiver on his old team for the $10 mil signing bonus he's asking for. We've had a great offseason so far and I don't want to reach for this guy. I understand that free agency dictates pricing wars and Burress will probably end up with more money than he deserves. I just don't want to see the Giants throw huge money at him. If they can get him for what they are rumored to have offered, then at best I'll be ok with it. By the way, that rumor is a six-year contract worth $20 million-$21 million, with a signing bonus of about $4 million.

Its not going to happen with the Eagles, and I hear Burress isn't thrilled with offers, he may take a 1 year deal to bide time.

Yes, restructuring would worry me.  Especially if we're doing it to pay a guy who wasn't even the best receiver on his old team for the $10 mil signing bonus he's asking for.  We've had a great offseason so far and I don't want to reach for this guy.  I understand that free agency dictates pricing wars and Burress will probably end up with more money than he deserves.  I just don't want to see the Giants throw huge money at him.  If they can get him for what they are rumored to have offered, then at best I'll be ok with it.  By the way, that rumor is a six-year contract worth $20 million-$21 million, with a signing bonus of about $4 million.

727745[/snapback]

The years don't matter, and the signing bonus isn't that big :D

Its not going to happen with the Eagles, and I hear Burress isn't thrilled with offers, he may take a 1 year deal to bide time.

727750[/snapback]

He's not happy with the offers because teams know that he's not worth the big money he's asking.