[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Burress to the Giants after all

alexgaddis

Believe this....Gnats will be a better team in 2005-06 and Burress will be part of the equation as Toomer will be better with a threat at the other WR...Tiki stays healthy....I sort of like the "O"---Manning-Barber-Toomer-Burress-Shockey...believe me I will draft a few Giants if they are left out there for my FF team...believe Manning will get the protection and you'll see a better QB---JMO

Manning-Barber-Toomer-Burress-Shockey...

That actually doesn't look bad at all

739415[/snapback]

Doesn't look all that good, either.

Manning: He's not Peyton. He might never be. He might never get close.

Barber: Coming off a big season. Drop off probable.

Toomer: You think having an underacheiving whiner like Burress on the other side is going to pump him up?

Burress: See above.

Shockey: Overrated and injury prone.

I'll take 10 other QB/WR/TE combos over that one. If not more.

Why do the Giants like big, slow, receivers? When was the last time they signed a "speed" WR?

I do think it's a good signing for the Giants. I don't think Plax is as bad as people like to make him out to be. Just three years ago he caught 78 passes for 1,325 yards and 7 TD's with Tommy Maddox at QB.

Why do the Giants like big, slow, receivers?  When was the last time they signed a "speed" WR? 

I do think it's a good signing for the Giants.  I don't think Plax is as bad as people like to make him out to be.  Just three years ago he caught 78 passes for 1,325 yards and 7 TD's with Tommy Maddox at QB.

740628[/snapback]

And then he had this attitude change where practice was for the other guys etc.... As a Steeler fan I say good riddance....

Why do the Giants like big, slow, receivers?  When was the last time they signed a "speed" WR? 

I do think it's a good signing for the Giants.  I don't think Plax is as bad as people like to make him out to be.  Just three years ago he caught 78 passes for 1,325 yards and 7 TD's with Tommy Maddox at QB.

740628[/snapback]

For what it's worth, they have several younger "speed" recievers on the roster. What they needed was a big receiver, and they have one with Plax. He's 6'-5" around 220 lbs. On paper it was a good signing. I'll withold judgement until I see how he gets along with Coughlin.

I think people are a little too down on Burress also because of perceived attitude issues. Roethlisberger did favor Burress and before he got hurt he was decent. Also you have to factor in that Pittsburgh turned into a more conservative team with a rookie QB and that they were the #1 rushing team in the NFL. Not exactly conducive to big #'s from the WR position..........

For what it's worth, they have several younger "speed" recievers on the roster.  What they needed was a big receiver, and  they have one with Plax.  He's 6'-5" around 220 lbs.  On paper it was a good signing.  I'll withold judgement until I see how he gets along with Coughlin.

740705[/snapback]

You're right the Giant's do have a couple of young speedy w/rs that should do well with Plax in there. Also with the addition to the o-line Shockey should be able to get more involved. They will be a much improved team this year. I'm not saying they'll contend but, you won't be able to take them for granted.

I'll be the first to admit I'm worried about Burress' attitude. Obviously, EA and co. think it can work. Perhaps the problem was his old agent, trying to use the Giants to bid up Burress' price tag. Well, with Drew in town, things got done quickly. Now we just have to see how it goes. Much like smithkt said, it looks great on paper. "6'5", 226 and can get deep. He can catch the fade. His attitude isn't as bad as people make it out to be" Well, one things for sure, Coughlin won't put up with it. I'm worried about it, but excited about the potential production he'll bring to the team.

740628[/snapback]

Isn't Tim Carter their "speed" receiver? Burress isn't exactly a possession receiver, either. He's not Randy Moss, but he's not Keyshawn either.

I had also heard he had improved on his blocking this past year. If I were a Gints fan, I'd be thrilled. I have a feeling he'll do OK with Coughlin.... might be just what he needs. got to love what Ernie has done.... maybe he can talk to Bradway? :D

Doesn't look all that good, either.

Manning:  He's not Peyton.  He might never be.  He might never get close.

Barber:  Coming off a big season.  Drop off probable.

Toomer:  You think having an underacheiving whiner like Burress on the other side is going to pump him up?

Burress:  See above.

Shockey:  Overrated and injury prone.

I'll take 10 other QB/WR/TE combos over that one.  If not more.

739576[/snapback]

Uh, wow.

Manning: "not Peyton." You are correct. Is anyone else on the planet Peyton? Has any other QB ever been Peyton? Eli could go to 12 Pro Bowls and still not be Peyton, and I'd still be really happy. You can't make a comparison like that, especially because Eli was a rookie last year - and he looked 1000% better in his last 3 games vs. his first 3.

Barber: "Drop off probable." What makes you say that? You have absolutely no facts to back that up. He's amazingly consistent - he's rushed for 1000 yards 4 of the last 5 years, and the one he didnt (2001) was because he got hurt, but that was actually his best yards/carry (5.2). He's had at least 550 yards recieving in 5 of the last 6 years, as well. He scored 15 TDs last year on a terrible offense, and this year will have a better OL, better WRs, and (hopefully) a better Manning. You're making a judgement based on absolutely nothing.

Toomer: "You think having an underacheiving whiner like Burress on the other side is going to pump him up?" and Burress: "see above": Do you agree Burress is better than broken-down Ike Hilliard? Then yes, having Burress on the other side will certainly help Toomer, as will Eli having another year under his belt, and as will having a better OL to give Eli time to throw. Toomer didn't have a great year, but I chalk that up more to Warner having no arm anymore, Eli looking like crap for a month, and Hilliard being DREADFUL, so all the D had to do was key on Toomer. Plaxico on the other hand, came off a down year in which he was hurt, on an offense that was heavily run-based, and had a rookie QB throwing to him, and still by far outperformed any Giants WR.

Shockey: Overrated and injury prone. I'll give you injury-prone. I'll even give you overrated. But can you give me 5 TEs in the whole league you'd rather have? I'll give you Gates, Gonzalez, Crumpler (who Shockey still caught 15 more balls than).. even take Witten if you want. I'll take my top 5 TE any day. He'll also be better this year because Coughlin has pledged to have him blocking less and recieving more.

Uh, wow.

Manning: "not Peyton." You are correct. Is anyone else on the planet Peyton? Has any other QB ever been Peyton? Eli could go to 12 Pro Bowls and still not be Peyton, and I'd still be really happy. You can't make a comparison like that, especially because Eli was a rookie last year - and he looked 1000% better in his last 3 games vs. his first 3.

Barber: "Drop off probable." What makes you say that? You have absolutely no facts to back that up. He's amazingly consistent - he's rushed for 1000 yards 4 of the last 5 years, and the one he didnt (2001) was because he got hurt, but that was actually his best yards/carry (5.2). He's had at least 550 yards recieving in 5 of the last 6 years, as well. He scored 15 TDs last year on a terrible offense, and this year will have a better OL, better WRs, and (hopefully) a better Manning. You're making a judgement based on absolutely nothing.

Toomer:  "You think having an underacheiving whiner like Burress on the other side is going to pump him up?" and Burress: "see above": Do you agree Burress is better than broken-down Ike Hilliard? Then yes, having Burress on the other side will certainly help Toomer, as will Eli having another year under his belt, and as will having a better OL to give Eli time to throw. Toomer didn't have a great year, but I chalk that up more to Warner having no arm anymore, Eli looking like crap for a month, and Hilliard being DREADFUL, so all the D had to do was key on Toomer. Plaxico on the other hand, came off a down year in which he was hurt, on an offense that was heavily run-based, and had a rookie QB throwing to him, and still by far outperformed any Giants WR.

Shockey:  Overrated and injury prone. I'll give you injury-prone. I'll even give you overrated. But can you give me 5 TEs in the whole league you'd rather have? I'll give you Gates, Gonzalez, Crumpler (who Shockey still caught 15 more balls than).. even take Witten if you want. I'll take my top 5 TE any day. He'll also be better this year because Coughlin has pledged to have him blocking less and recieving more.

741515[/snapback]

Manning: Eli is not going to 12 Pro-Bowls. I'd be surprised if he went to 1. He's gonna be a decent pro, don't get me wrong, but I honestly don't see any Pro Bowl seasons in his future. Just an opinion. I wasn't trying to say that he was going to be Peyton-like or bust... there's plenty of grey area in there for him to land in.

Barber: Yards, schmards. Yeah he's a solid pass-catching back. But, prior to 2002, his personal high for TDs was 8. He had TWO TDS (despite 1200+ yards) in 2003. TWO. You've gotta be kidding me. Maybe I'm approaching this from a fantasy football perspective, but that's just ridiculous. Yeah, he had a solid 2004 campaign. He may repeat that. He may revert back to 2003 form. Add in the fact that he's proven to be a fumbler. :D They're gonna have a better OL? A better Manning? You say I'M making MY judgment on nothing? Sounds like your judgment is based in opinion as much as mine.

Burress: Sure, Burress is leaps better than Hilliard. Toomer's a consistent WR that will most likely benefit from a younger, faster WR on the other side. I'll give you that. But until I see it for myself, I can be skeptical.

Shockey: Please. Give me Gates, Witten, Crumpler, Gonzalez, McMichael, Winslow Jr. There's 6. And who knows, Heath Miller may outperform Shockey this year, too. Overrated. And injury-prone on top of it all? Who cares if Captain Coughlin is vowing to have him block less when he's on the sideline with turf toe or turf bagina or whatever? Plus, BLOCK LESS? I'm sure Manning loves to hear that.

:D

Sorry, I still contend there's far better "potential" offenses out there than the G-Men. They've certainly improved with the addition of Burress. But how much?

While impossible as this seems, boy, it would be funny!  :D

745922[/snapback]

I wouldn't say impossible. The Giants have a much better D than the Colts. I'd say they could be a top notch D "if" they can actually stay healthy. With Eli getting some valuable experience as a rookie, I think he will be very good this year. He's still young, but I think he is mature enough to become a leader on this team. He showed that during the last few games of last season. With the O-line getting better and the addition of a top WR in Burress to go along with Barber, Toomer, & Shockey, this offense just might be pretty scary this year. Also, the Special Teams got a lot better with the signing of Feely. Put it all together and they are more of a well rounded team than the Colts are. I am very excited about the near future of this team and what they could accomplish.