[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Courtney Brown to the Skins or Denver

spain

Former #1 pick expected to make choice… Former Cleveland DE Courtney Brown, the first player selected at the 2000 draft whom the Browns released earlier this month, will reportedly decide on a new team later today. Brown is expected to choose between either Washington or Denver, although both Seattle and Tampa Bay have reportedly tried to get into the mix.

Wiley is supposed to be in Seattle today too. I think Brown ends up with the Skins, he has a cousin on that team already, and Gibbs has slobbered all over him to boot.

745023[/snapback]

I think you are pretty much right on here. Likely to be playing for the burgundy and gold....until he gets an awful case of carpal tunnel syndrome after signing his contract; therefore, having to sit out for two years while counting against the cap.

I think you are pretty much right on here. Likely to be playing for the burgundy and gold....until he gets an awful case of carpal tunnel syndrome after signing his contract; therefore, having to sit out for two years while counting against the cap.

745280[/snapback]

Proposed Redskins contract has compensation provisions tied to playing time. So he has to play to get a bunch of the coin. I do not know the exact cap implications though.

Mar. 25 - Defensive end Courtney Brown was expected to announce his decision on Thursday, but continues weigh offers from the Redskins, Broncos, Jaguars and Seahawks. The Seattle Times is reporting that Brown is leaning toward the Broncos.

"There's a lot of competition for him," Redskins coach Joe Gibbs told The Washington Post on Tuesday. "We're not confident we're going to get him, but we want him."

Brown completed a visit to Seattle on Tuesday and was in Jacksonville on Monday. He previously had met with the Redskins and Broncos before widening his search, reportedly after being disappointed in those teams' incentive-laden offers.

March 25

(12:01 AM): Former #1 DE Brown delays call... Former Cleveland DE Courtney Brown, the #1 pick overall at the 2000 draft, was supposed to have decided Thursday on which team he was going to sign with. Instead, Brown is reportedly taking another look at his options. Brown has reportedly received incentive-loaded offers from both Washington and Denver, while Jacksonville is also reportedly still in the mix, although it does not appear the Jaguars have made an offer to Brown.

Proposed Redskins contract has compensation provisions tied to playing time. So he has to play to get a bunch of the coin. I do not know the exact cap implications though.

749066[/snapback]

I believe, but am not 100% certain, that met bonus money is counted against the cap the following year. If it is a guarenteed bonus, I'm not sure if it's all the year the bonus is for or if it is prorated.

I believe, but am not 100% certain, that met bonus money is counted against the cap the following year.  If it is a guarenteed bonus, I'm not sure if it's all the year the bonus is for or if it is prorated.

750765[/snapback]

I think you are right. As I understand it, performance-based incentives go on the next year's cap, and cannot be spread out over several years. Guaranteed money such as signing bonuses and roster bonuses, can be spread out to lessen the cap hit.