[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vikings RBBC Update!

Shotgun Messiahs

The Star Tribune reports Vikings HC Mike Tice revealed he has reconfigured his defensive coaching staff and declared an open competition for the Vikings' starting tailback job. He suggested the team has transformed from an explosive and young group to a more mature and tougher personality, predicting that his defense finally is ready to carry its share of the load. "We evaluated our team early this offseason," Tice said, "and quite frankly, I was very tired of our defense being known as the stepchild of our football team. I was sick and tired of sitting home late in the playoffs, sick and tired of having leads that we can't hold. So we needed to have a different personality. If we buy into the things that we're going to preach, we'll be a tougher football team. And we need to be a tougher football team. I don't know that we always were." Tice said Tuesday that secondary coach Chuck Knox Jr. has been elevated to coverage coordinator, with DC Ted Cottrell taking on the additional title of assistant head coach. While stressing that Cottrell retains final say over the defense, Tice said Knox will organize all coverage schemes for defensive backs and linebackers. Other coaching changes include a new title for Jim Panagos, who will split time as an assistant defensive line coach/assistant special teams coach. Panagos will share duties with Rusty Tillman, whom Tice has named special teams coordinator. Meanwhile, Tice downplayed the possibility that one of his top three running backs -- RB Michael Bennett, RB Onterrio Smith and RB Mewelde Moore -- will be traded before training camp. As a result, all three will compete for the starting job. Tice said he is "praying" that Bennett stays healthy to give him a fair chance to win the job but otherwise said there is no early favorite. "I think it makes a lot of sense to put it out there between three young men and see who wants to step up and be the guy," Tice said. "I certainly know they all want to do it. One guy is going to be the king, and another guy is going to be spell guy. The third? He's going to be the ticked-off guy. That's just the way life has to be sometimes. We'll see who does what in training camp."

Ahhhhhh, just when I get a little down on Mooch here in Mo-Town,Tice opens his mouth and I feel all better!! That's brilliant Mike,keep all 3 backs and let one waste away on the sideline while you shuffle the other 2 back and forth in the same useless fashion you did last year. This coach is the reason that I believe the Lions actaully have a chance at the division despite the good FAs the Vikes have signed on D.

OK, why is this bad news? Tice has indicated that he wants ONE starting RB, a change of pace/spell back, and a backup. He is eliminating the RBBC. Isn't this what most teams have????

Tice is telling the RB's that they need to earn the starting spot. May the best back win. A trade could still happen later, preseason injuries could cause a need for one of the RB's.

To indicate that the Lions should be favored over the Vikings because Tice is now eliminating the RBBC is just goofy.

OK, why is this bad news?  Tice has indicated that he wants ONE starting RB, a change of pace/spell back, and a backup.  He is eliminating the RBBC.  Isn't this what most teams have????

Tice is telling the RB's that they need to earn the starting spot.  May the best back win.  A trade could still happen later, preseason injuries could cause a need for one of the RB's.

To indicate that the Lions should be favored over the Vikings because Tice is now eliminating the RBBC is just goofy.

746638[/snapback]

Well, would you expect anything less than goofy from Lions fans?

(Practicing my smack talk for the Vikings new rival in the division as the Packers are falling to the cellar faster than Madden drops to his knees in front of Brett Favre.)

Well, would you expect anything less than goofy from Lions fans?

(Practicing my smack talk for the Vikings new rival in the division as the Packers are falling to the cellar faster than Madden drops to his knees in front of Brett Favre.)

746673[/snapback]

Pretty interesting talk about the Packers, but I somehow doubt the Packers fall that far this year. Unless you mean falling to another NFC North Title.

I just don't understand why Moore doesn't play more, I believe the Vikings winning percentage with him starting was better than with another back. I may be off my rocker, and may also be blinded because I had Mewelde, but he seemed to get it done when he played.

OK, why is this bad news?  Tice has indicated that he wants ONE starting RB, a change of pace/spell back, and a backup.  He is eliminating the RBBC.  Isn't this what most teams have????

Tice is telling the RB's that they need to earn the starting spot.  May the best back win.  A trade could still happen later, preseason injuries could cause a need for one of the RB's.

746638[/snapback]

Exactly what I thought.

Let him find his #1 and #2 guys and then trade his #3 before the deadline.

It's a problem some teams (Miami, Arizona) wish they had.

When it looked like Alexander was going to be moved out of Seattle, I wanted the Hawks to try to get Moore. I think his skills fit Holmgren's offense much better than Alexander's.

But you know what they say: "When you have three running backs; you don't have one."

MenInTights nailed it with his comment about the Vikes winning when Moore was the lead back. If that's not enough proof to place him as your leading back then I don't know what is.

It does appear that Tice's comments indicate he will get away from the RBBC but haven't we heard similar remarks from him before. O. Smith is so close to being sat for a year with his drug problems and Bennett can't stay healthy. I think this is a no brainer but I'm not a NFL GM either. Moore should be the starting back and Bennett should back him up. Moore IS as close to a complete back as I saw last year...just needs to improve on his blocking as most young RB's should.

Jettison Smith out of town with the best offer you can get...the Vikes have more worries than having to decide between 3 pretty decent backs and I think they have some trade value for a short window and should take advantage of it ASAP.

What is sad is that the entire rest of the division is scared of the Lions now that they have Garcia.  I think that Garcia will "Restore the Roar" in Motown!  Hometown Super Bowl team, 2005!

747103[/snapback]

here kitty kitty

MenInTights nailed it with his comment about the Vikes winning when Moore was the lead back. If that's not enough proof to place him as your leading back then I don't know what is.

It does appear that Tice's comments indicate he will get away from the RBBC but haven't we heard similar remarks from him before. O. Smith is so close to being sat for a year with his drug problems and Bennett can't stay healthy. I think this is a no brainer but I'm not a NFL GM either. Moore should be the starting back and Bennett should back him up. Moore IS as close to a complete back as I saw last year...just needs to improve on his blocking as most young RB's should.

Jettison Smith out of town with the best offer you can get...the Vikes have more worries than having to decide between 3 pretty decent backs and I think they have some trade value for a short window and should take advantage of it ASAP.

747159[/snapback]

I agree with the above. Moore looked pretty good last year, but then got in the doghouse. Bennett will never be a full time back. The Eagles should trade for Smith - think he'd be the perfect complement to Westbrook.

747159[/snapback]

The more i think about it the more i won't be surprised if Edwards and BMW are gone at #7 and 1 of the 3 big RBs are there, the Vikings may take him and make him the starter.

I agree with the above.  Moore looked pretty good last year, but then got in the doghouse.  Bennett will never be a full time back.  The Eagles should trade for Smith - think he'd be the perfect complement to Westbrook.

747171[/snapback]

Yeah I thought Moore was pretty good too. I remember he was playing well until this one play pretty much put him on the bench. I forget the game but I think it was nationally televised. But it was the Vikings first series and Culpepper threw a screen pass that ended up being behind the line of scrimmage. Moore didn't really go after the ball and the other team recovered it for a fumble. After that play Moore got pulled and I don't really remember him making much of an impact after that...........

I don't really see Tices statement as a definative end to the RBBC for the Vikings. He flip flopped between starting Bennett and Smith when both were healthy and as stated above a few times seemed to relegate Moore to return duties. Moore was by far the most effective RB when he was in the line up and Tice managed to totally go away from him. I know there was an 'ankle injury' involved in some respect but I also agree the fumble/pass play led to a benching as well. Ironic that Moore would fall immediately in to the dog house for one 'rookie mistake' on a team where R Moss had carte blanche to take plays off. I guess more than anything I doubt Tice has the capacity to pick a RB #1 ,RB #2 and a spell back. He will continue to monkey around with the rotation and stunt the running game.

I remember he was playing well until this one play pretty much put him on the bench.  I forget the game but I think it was nationally televised.  But it was the Vikings first series and Culpepper threw a screen pass that ended up being behind the line of scrimmage.  Moore didn't really go after the ball and the other team recovered it for a fumble.  After that play Moore got pulled and I don't really remember him making much of an impact after that...........

747223[/snapback]

You're right Phenom, that's is exactly what happened. The game was against the New York Giants. Moore supposedly hurt his ankle that game, and he never really got another chance the rest of the season.

I don't really see Tices statement as a definative end to the RBBC for the Vikings.  He flip flopped between starting Bennett and Smith when both were healthy and as stated above a few times seemed to relegate Moore to return duties. I guess more than anything I doubt Tice has the capacity to pick a RB #1 ,RB #2 and a spell back. He will continue to monkey around with the rotation and stunt the running game.

748065[/snapback]

This is exactly what I was thinking Tyler. He's made similar statements at times last year, but he never did settle on one guy for even a complete game once both Smith and Bennett were healthy. It seemed like the first carry either would have that resulted in a loss or only a yard or two gain, and then the other guy would get rotated in.

It does appear that Tice's comments indicate he will get away from the RBBC but haven't we heard similar remarks from him before.

747159[/snapback]

Yeah. I'll believe it when I see it. Tice is a liar and a bad coach who cannot make decisions. He won't know who to start after training camp, so he will give all three 6 carries each. He was unable to make a decision all of last year. Nothing has changed. The only thing that will kill the RBBC is injuries.

746673[/snapback]

It doesn't matter who you get on defense, Mike Tice is still your head coach. As long as that's the case, your team will underachieve. I think Capn Hook gave a great characterization of the meathead. The only real achievement of your offseason has been trading away one of the best wide-outs in NFL history.

Pretty interesting talk about the Packers, but I somehow doubt the Packers fall that far this year.  Unless you mean falling to another NFC North Title.

746719[/snapback]

I completely agree with you MIT. The rumors of our demise are greatly exagerrated. Brett's coming back. We are already addressing the O-line, and we have one of the best defensive coordinators in the league.

Now on to the topic...RBBC goes with Minnesota like franks go with beans. If Tice knew what he was doing, he would make Moore his featured back. Moore is a definite stud. He really produced when he played last year.

:D

Of COURSE it's not "definitive", but Tice's comments definitely indicate a desire to have a feature back. And, since he went so far as to use the word "praying", I'd venture to say that he prefers Bennett to be the guy, probably because he's not one joint away from a suspension.

Secondly, why does ANYone think that the Vikings will be selecting a RB at 1.07? (Or would that be 1.08, after the timer runs out? :D) It would make ZERO sense to add to an already muddled RB competition. NFL teams can simply not afford to use 1st-round picks (especially top-10 picks) on non-need positions. If no one at a position of need merits the #7 overall pick, the Vikes should trade down.

The reality is that the Vikes still need another WR. Kelly Campbell now has some drug issues, MRob is always an injury risk, Travis Taylor is not the answer, and Nate Burleson has a lot to prove against #1 CBs and occasional double-teams. They either need a fast WR who can stretch the defense (B. Edwards/T. Williamson) or a physical guy who can catch the post-corner jumpball (M. Williams). Then, with their other 1st-round pick, they'd be smart to grab an OT.

:D

Of COURSE it's not "definitive", but Tice's comments definitely indicate a desire to have a feature back. And, since he went so far as to use the word "praying", I'd venture to say that he prefers Bennett to be the guy, probably because he's not one joint away from a suspension.

Secondly, why does ANYone think that the Vikings will be selecting a RB at 1.07? (Or would that be 1.08, after the timer runs out? :D) It would make ZERO sense to add to an already muddled RB competition. NFL teams can simply not afford to use 1st-round picks (especially top-10 picks) on non-need positions. If no one at a position of need merits the #7 overall pick, the Vikes should trade down.

The reality is that the Vikes still need another WR. Kelly Campbell now has some drug issues, MRob is always an injury risk, Travis Taylor is not the answer, and Nate Burleson has a lot to prove against #1 CBs and occasional double-teams. They either need a fast WR who can stretch the defense (B. Edwards/T. Williamson) or a physical guy who can catch the post-corner jumpball (M. Williams). Then, with their other 1st-round pick, they'd be smart to grab an OT.

750165[/snapback]

Yes, the Vikings do need another WR, but if the top 2 are gone i wouldn't reach for one they can still get at 1.18. Point is, the statement has been put out there that the team wants to change to a pound it down your throat running team and there is doubt that any of the backs on the roster offer the 25 carries a game RB needed for such a change in philosophy.

Tice is a liar and a bad coach who cannot make decisions.  He won't know who to start after training camp, so he will give all three 6 carries each.  He was unable to make a decision all of last year.  Nothing has changed.  The only thing that will kill the RBBC is injuries.

748085[/snapback]

This is the most realistic post so far in this thread. The problem (on offense...we won't get into not being able to tcakle) w/ the Vikings is not RBBC, but the play-calling and coaching of the offense. Any one of the three, when healthy, are starting-caliber RBs in the NFL. All were productive when used correctly...although I do lean towards Moore, as seems to be the consensus. Wiggins at TE was a good weapon when Kleinsasser went down, but the balls seemed to focus too much on him at times. Moss was under-used, even as a decoy when healthy (yeah, under-used. The best offensive weapon in the NFL should be targeted more than Moss was last year...see TO). They went for the long-ball when Moss was out too often on 2nd-and-shorts, putting them at a disadvantage on 3rd downs way too much. A team w/ Bennett or O.Smith in the backfield should've taken more advantage of the screen pass on 2nd and 3rd downs.

As for the draft Cap'n...if Edwards and M.Williams are gone at 1.7 (or 1.8...LMFAO@Swiss), they should take Alex Barron and help protect CPep and their RBs.

JMO