[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Broncos Sign Another Browns D Lineman

Big Score 1

"Defensive end Courtney Brown, who visited the Jaguars last week, signed with the Denver Broncos today.

The Browns, Redskins, Jaguars and Seahawks all courted Brown, but he picked the Broncos, who had an opening because the Jaguars signed Reggie Hayward earlier in free agency."

www.jacksonville.com

Hmmm....how to up-grade your D'Line...sign two underachieving D Lineman :doah:

Maybe the change in secenery will light a fire under 'em :D

You gotta be f'n kidding me. Nice pickups, there Broncos. These two have clearly done SO WELL next to each other in Cleveland, Skeletor must've figured it'd be a shame to split 'em up! :D

What is he trying to do, make Denver the western branch of the Tampa Bay/Washington Shelter for Worthless NFL Players Whose Name You Recongize?

Peace

policy

You gotta be f'n kidding me.  Nice pickups, there Broncos.  These two have clearly done SO WELL next to each other in Cleveland, Skeletor must've figured it'd be a shame to split 'em up!  :D

What is he trying to do, make Denver the western branch of the Tampa Bay/Washington Shelter for Worthless NFL Players Whose Name You Recongize?

Peace

policy

754859[/snapback]

it beats paying top dollar for a mediocre safety like kennoy kennedy :D

754941[/snapback]

That's what folks said about Dre' Bly. Then he got a taste of Detroit cornbread and he's been an All-Pro ever since. :D

754941[/snapback]

Top dollar? A 4.4M signing bonus on a five-year contract is hardly top dollar.

Besides, "mediocre"--if he is that--is still about 100x better than Bracy "scrub" Walker.

Peace

policy

He only played in 13 games. He only had 38 tackles and four picks. I think it had more to do with the fact that there weren't many good corners to choose from in the NFC. He made it in on his reputation alone, not his play, last year.

I'm not saying he's not a good player. But I don't think he had a good year last year. Plus, being an All Pro is not the same as being a Pro Bowl player. All Pro is a different award, handed out by the AP. There are only 2 All Pro corners from the entire NFL. Bly has never been an All Pro. Pro Bowl is good. All Pro is better.

Edited by CaptainHook

He only played in 13 games.  He only had 38 tackles and four picks.  I think it had more to do with the fact that there weren't many good corners to choose from in the NFC.  He made it in on his reputation alone, not his play, last year.

True, but it's not because he just had an off year, the man was severely injured; played at about 60% for most of the season.

Plus, being an All Pro is not the same as being a Pro Bowl player.  All Pro is a different award, handed out by the AP.  There are only 2 All Pro corners from the entire NFL.  Bly has never been an All Pro.  Pro Bowl is good.  All Pro is better.

755098[/snapback]

Eh, I thought I could slip that one by you, but I see you're too smart for that. :D

Peace

policy

a few things to consider. First of all its not a sign of a good cb if he makes a lot of tackles. That means his receiver is catchign the ball more often than not. It doens't mean he's dominant in run support. Renaldo hill on the cardinals had 80 tackles one year does that make him a great cb? NO

Courtney brown and gerard warren are decent pickups. Warren not as much because alteast brown has a new incentive laden contract. Warren has 2 years left on his big contract. If these guys ever realize their potential (which is quite possible considering denver has much more talent on D and a much better O to keep the d off the field)

Atleast these acquisitions were low risk unlike the browns who drafted them thinking they woudl be studs but pretty much either sucked or got hurt.

Hopefully the Broncs can keep Brown out of the Pancake houses. Those darn IHOPs are nothing but trouble for Denver defensive lineman.

I hope this signing doesn't convince Shanahan to draft a different position. They still need to go defensive line first and foremost.

I think Warren and Brown are both good acquisitions. Warren hasn't lived up to his #3 pick status, but the Broncos aren't paying him the #3 signing bonus. OBVIOUSLY, Brown has a lengthy injury history, but he's played pretty well when he's been on the field. Once again -- not well enough to justify his draft pick, but the Broncos were smart and signed him to an incentive-laden contract.

Hopefully the Broncs can keep Brown out of the Pancake houses.  Those darn IHOPs are nothing but trouble for Denver defensive lineman.

I hope this signing doesn't convince Shanahan to draft a different position.  They still need to go defensive line first and foremost.

755269[/snapback]

They especially need to make sure he stays away from the "Debbie does Donuts" restaurant just outside of Greeley. Topless women serving donuts. Nice idea huh..

Anyway, I'm not really excited about this offseason for Denver. If they match Herndon's offer, I'm really going to be pissed. Time to seriously root for the Panthers or Cardinals.

Edited by NAUgrad

They especially need to make sure he stays away from the "Debbie does Donuts" restaurant just outside of Greeley.  Topless women serving donuts.  Nice idea huh..

Anyway, I'm not really excited about this offseason for Denver.  If they match Herndon's offer, I'm really going to be pissed.  Time to seriously root for the Panthers or Cardinals.

755426[/snapback]

They let Herndon go to Seattle. No compensation because Herndon was an undrafted free agent.

I think Warren and Brown are both good acquisitions. Warren hasn't lived up to his #3 pick status, but the Broncos aren't paying him the #3 signing bonus. OBVIOUSLY, Brown has a lengthy injury history, but he's played pretty well when he's been on the field. Once again -- not well enough to justify his draft pick, but the Broncos were smart and signed him to an incentive-laden contract.

755374[/snapback]

i agree they got pretty good value in collecting these two. but brown could easily never play a down for them. i worry about them still not having addressed their need on the d-line.