[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Javon Walker

Ralph Furley

I have a potential trade to make in my local to get rid of Walker for some cap money, but I'm having a hard time convincing the guy that Walker's contract situation is no big deal. To be honest, I have no idea what the status is. Is it that bad? Will he be ready for the season opener? Any info is greatly appreciated.

I need to get this trade done soon while he's still interested, so I need the help of the Huddlers. Thanks!

Edited by Ralph Furley

This isn't 'homer' info (thank god, Wisconsin sucks)....but I just say NFL LIVE and they all seem to think that Javon will be in camp.  That doesn't help you too much, but thats all I got.

877947[/snapback]

if this has any comparison whatsoever, Sterling Sharpe eventually signed when holding out and had a good season

Edited by seminoles

No homer info???

877934[/snapback]

I live in God's country and will comment. Javon will play week 1. This is of course wishful thinking along with a gut feeling. The Pack won't give in but I believe Javon will show good faith and they will strike a new multi-year deal during the season. I also own Walker in a keeper league and am a little biased.

Walker needs Favre and Favre needs Walker.

When McKenzie held out, they bought him a bus ticket. The owners won't budge (and they shouldn't IMO). Hopefully, Javon will do the right thing.

878137[/snapback]

So the city of Green Bay and the stockholders have the say in contract negotiations? :D

All of Javon's comments have been very positive towards the Packers and Favre (unlike TO). He seems to be genuinely interested in staying GB but wants to be paid like a top 5 WR. I would not expect Javon to miss any playing time, although missing part of camp is almost assured.

The latest from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:

Rosenhaus replies to Favre's criticism

By TOM SILVERSTEIN

tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com

Posted: July 13, 2005

After another round of disparaging remarks from quarterback Brett Favre regarding Green Bay Packers teammate Javon Walker's holdout, Walker's agent suggested that Favre should call him so they can discuss the situation.

Drew Rosenhaus said Wednesday that he was bothered by Favre's most recent comments, which were made this week during interviews with several ESPN-sponsored programs. In addition to taking Walker to task for skipping the Packers' mandatory minicamp in April, he reiterated his position that the wide receiver is not doing himself any favors in the locker room with his current stance.

"I wish he would call me so we could talk and I could let him know the facts," Rosenhaus said. "I think there are a lot of things he doesn't know about our situation. There are a lot of things he needs to know."

Some of the remarks Favre made were aimed at Rosenhaus, who has signed on some of the NFL's top players and in some cases is threatening a holdout.

Rosenhaus defended Walker's decision to skip minicamp and said that his client would have attended if the Packers had given him some kind of assurance they would address his contract situation in the near future. He said the Packers refused to even consider it.

The agent said it was very important to Walker that people know he would have come in if the Packers had given him their word they would discuss a new deal at some point this season. He said he approached them on behalf of Walker in February to get the ball rolling on a new deal but has gotten nowhere.

Rosenhaus said the Packers have not been amenable to doing anything toward upgrading Walker's contract this season. He said a decision on whether Walker would report for training camp in two weeks hadn't been made.

Rosenhaus said it was completely untrue that Walker sprang his contract demands on the Packers at the last minute and then kept them in the dark in regard to whether he would attend the mandatory minicamp.

Favre didn't attack Rosenhaus directly regarding his handling of Walker, but he did knock his tactics and said holding out was akin to turning your back on your teammates.

"I'd hate to walk into the locker room every day and know I turned my back on the players," Favre said on the ESPN show "Cold Pizza." "Ultimately the player has to make a decision. The agent can make a recommendation, but you can say yeah or no.

"If you're going to listen to your agent and let him tell you everything and you go by it, I mean, you have to step up for yourself and your team. The money is out there to be had. When a contract is signed you understand that if you play well, maybe in time they'll renegotiate."

Walker, who has two years remaining on the five-year deal he signed as a rookie in 2001, is scheduled to make a base salary of $515,000 this season. Last year he made the Pro Bowl for the first time, leading the Packers with 89 receptions for 1,328 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Not sure if this helps but coming from Favre it should carry some weight.

"In Javon's deal, he still has two years left," he [Favre] continued. "What these guys don't understand is that the Packers are not going to pay, and in Javon's case he's going to sit out the whole year and still have two years left on his contract, a year older, too."

I feel what Favre is saying, he's on the last few years of his career and wants to have the best team possible.

But at the same time, he really should just be quiet and stay out of Walker's business. It's his life, his contract, his money and Favre should have nothing to do with it. This is between Walker and the GM. He is a pro bowl receiver who isn't getting any younger.

Ask Favre 10 years ago when he was younger.

It's the Drew Rosenhaus curse!  :D

I listened to Favre on the Dan Patrick Show Tuesday and he came out and said that he believes Rosenhaus is bad for the NFL, and he believes Walker should be in camp.  I'd say 50-50 chance he's in camp.

878615[/snapback]

I don't know Favre's numbers, but it's easy to say when you already have a big contract.

But at the same time, he really should just be quiet and stay out of Walker's business. It's his life, his contract, his money and Favre should have nothing to do with it. This is between Walker and the GM. He is a pro bowl receiver who isn't getting any younger.

879811[/snapback]

This ain't figure stating pal :D but a team sport. Javon's business while under contract IS Favre's - and the whole team's - business. :D

Well then, they should be good teammates and support him so he can get back on the field faster.

881801[/snapback]

Why shouldn't HE be the good teammate? They are all living up to their end of the deal.

I feel what Favre is saying, he's on the last few years of his career and wants to have the best team possible.

879811[/snapback]

The colomnist from the Kansas City newspaper, I think his name is Jason Whitlock, made the same statement on PTI. I disagree. Favre was not a top pick in the draft. He had to play out his rookie contract. He got traded to NFL siberia. But he never held out. And he got paid.

Did Green Bay ask for money back from Walker after he was drafted in the first round and only caught 23 balls his rookie year?

Or how 'bout after only catching 41 passes in his second year?

Just as Walker has the right to pull this stunt and try to get more money, Favre has every right to criticize him for holding the team back. Walker needs to prove he can do it again. Then the team will be eager to talk.

Edit: Walker has been the best of a pretty weak WR corps that was drafted that year: Ashley Lelie, Donte Stallworth, Tim Carter, Antwaan Randle El, Reche Caldwell, Marquise Walker, Jabar Gaffney, Deion Branch, Josh Reed, Andre Davis, Antonio Bryant. :D

Edited by CaptainHook

Hey, I didn't see Favre at minicamp this summer either, did you?

His holdout isn't hurting anyone at the moment. He is a Pro Bowl player and if he wants to go get his Pro Bowl money, that's his prerogative. Obviously he is outperforming his current contract. These guys have short careers as it is and if he gets injured while honoring a contract, he may not get paid. Teams don't always honor their side of the deal, cutting players with years left on their deal.

Favre is a old man on the tail end of his career who is trying to hang on and is just playing for the love of the game at this point. That's great for him; he has his security. He will be gone in a year or two and the Packers should be locking Walker up to a long-term agreement.