[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

O.k., So I'm drunk ....

Menudo

:D

I just watched the Steelers season review off Tivo... I have these things to say:

1. Yes, I know they didn't win the Super Bowl, but what a Oprahing year !!!!!

2. Ben Roethlisberger had the best season by any rookie QB ever. Period,

Exclamation Point .!

3. Bill Cowher and his staff were phenomenal. This was a 6-10 team one season

ago, and watching the highlights, they did the right things 99% of the time.

4. James Farrior is the most under-rated defensive player in the NFL.

5. I would like a Ravens fan to look at me with a straight face and tell me that

they would take no pride in having a team go 15-1, with all but one of

those wins coming with a rookie QB starting. I know a Super Bowl is the

ultimate goal, but that doesn't change the fact that a team would rather

go 15-1 than 7-9 or whatever you criminals went.

6. I see good things coming. This team is young. Antwaan Randle-El will

produce two-fold what Burress was able to do, and getting a solid Tight

End can only help.

7. When Jerome and Duce go, I think Verron Haynes is deserving of a shot.

This guy has done nothing but good things when given opportunities.

8. With the shucks I've gone through this year, football can't get here soon enough !

9. Seeing the Jets Playoff game, with every single person waving a terrible towel,

gave me chills and brought tears to my eyes. :D

10. It is going to be hard to watch the Steelers without calling my Dad afterwards

to brag about the win. (Sorry, I'm drunk)

11. If the Steelers win the Superbowl this year, my Pops definitely had something

to do with it !!!

12. HERE WE GO STEELERS ! HERE WE GO !!!!!! :TerribleTowel:

P.S.

Steelers :D

no way do they have last Season this Season too

891486[/snapback]

Agreed, this season, the regular season doesn't go as well. They finish 11-5, and then go on to win Ben's first of 6 Super Bowls.

Agreed, this season, the regular season doesn't go as well.  They finish 11-5, and then go on to win Ben's first of 6 Super Bowls with the Steelers.

891592[/snapback]

I added a little bit to your quote Menudo. I would love to see it happen. Only time will tell.

Didn't Dan Marino have a better rookie season??

891601[/snapback]

I guess that would depend on what stats you are looking at. Yards and TD's = yes. Wins = no.

Let's not get into Ben's reason for what he did last season. :D You're a Steelers fan, give your team their due but, putting Ben on a pedastal, be realistic, it was mostly the situation and team around him. It wasn't an outstanding feat by a rookie QB. When put in a tough situation, he showed he was a rookie. Although, if he comes out and has a good season this year while throwing more than 10 times a game, he's got my vote.

Let's not get into Ben's reason for what he did last season.  :D You're a Steelers fan, give your team their due but, putting Ben on a pedastal, be realistic, it was mostly the situation and team around him. It wasn't an outstanding feat by a rookie QB. When put in a tough situation, he showed he was a rookie. Although, if he comes out and has a good season this year while throwing more than 10 times a game, he's got my vote.

891622[/snapback]

I agree that I do think it is too early to put him up there on a pedastal. Only time will tell if he will be great or not. I think he has the potential to be a great qb in terms of wins and losses. No Pittsburgh qb will ever be great in terms of actual statistics. He had a great start to a career. As for the rest of his career, only time will tell. I am looking forward to watching it though. :D

That's funny. I'm drunk too.

AND, I just watched the NFL Game of the Week on the NFL Channel, Steelers VS Jets in the playoffs.

Doug Brien misses not one, but TWO, potential game winning field goals, one of them hitting the post? Come on. The Steelers were lucky to win that game.

However, I will give them credit for an incredible season. :D

That's funny.  I'm drunk too.

AND, I just watched the NFL Game of the Week on the NFL Channel, Steelers VS Jets in the playoffs.

Doug Brien misses not one, but TWO, potential game winning field goals, one of them hitting the post?  Come on.  The Steelers were lucky to win that game.

However, I will give them credit for an incredible season.  :D

891754[/snapback]

I'm drunk as well. :D

I'm drunk as well. :D

891810[/snapback]

I was drunk a couple nights ago for our first FF meeting. I want to desperately be drunk tonight...but I have a long drive tomorrow. Hopefully I can get three sheets to the wind tomorrow night after getting back home.

I am not going to work tomorrow night, screw that. :D

Read most of this post a couple of hours ago. Only had a couple of beers then, so didn't feel like chiming in "I'm drunk too".

Now, I'd have to say I'm pretty much drunk. Re-read the post. About the same...no better, no worse.

Carry on.

I agree that the Steelers had a miraculous season. As I am a realist I am not expecting another 15-1 campaign. However, I will say this about Ben--he's better than you think. He got the caretaker rap because he was young and they limited the types of plays he would run, but let's be honest. The kid found ways to win games. Stats aren't everything (ask Dan Marino, speaking of which--what would he rather have: a ton of records or a SB ring?). Other rookies (not mentioning any names, Eli) had chances to perform last season and sh*t the proverbial bed. No one is claiming he's the second coming of Joe Montana (western PA QB), and, yes, time will tell. But don't give me that "Ben blew it" in the playoff line either. They should have lost to the Jets, but they didn't. They lost to the eventual SB champs. They beat two undefeated teams in two consecutive weeks. And he was taking the snaps.

Roethlisberger

66.4 completion rating

2621 yards in 14 games

17 TDs--11 INTs

Eli Manning

48.2 completion rating

1043 yards in 7 games

6 TDs and 9 INTs

Peyton's rookie year was impressive (3739 yards) but he threw 26 touchdowns and 28 INTs as well.

I am officially off the soapbox.

Edited by Ruffian

Didn't Dan Marino have a better rookie season??

891601[/snapback]

YEAR TEAM G GS AT CMP PCT YDS TD INT RAT

1983 Miami 11 9 296 173 58.4 2,210 20 6 96.0

1984 Miami 16 16 564 362 64.2 5,084 48 17 108.9

Marino only had 9 starts as a rookie, but look at this 2nd year!!!

YEAR  TEAM   G   GS  AT  CMP PCT  YDS  TD  INT  RAT 

1983  Miami   11  9    296  173  58.4  2,210  20  6  96.0 

1984  Miami   16  16  564  362  64.2  5,084  48  17 108.9 

Marino only had 9 starts as a rookie, but look at this 2nd year!!!

892062[/snapback]

As good as Big Ben may be, he has a LOT to prove before he can even be mentioned in the same sentence as Marino.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I agree that the Steelers had a miraculous season. As I am a realist I am not expecting another 15-1 campaign.  However, I will say this about Ben--he's better than you think. He got the caretaker rap because he was young and they limited the types of plays he would run, but let's be honest. The kid found ways to win games. Stats aren't everything (ask Dan Marino, speaking of which--what would he rather have: a ton of records or a SB ring?). Other rookies (not mentioning any names, Eli) had chances to perform last season and sh*t the proverbial bed. No one is claiming he's the second coming of Joe Montana (western PA QB), and, yes, time will tell. But don't give me that "Ben blew it" in the playoff line either. They should have lost to the Jets, but they didn't. They lost to the eventual SB champs. They beat two undefeated teams in two consecutive weeks. And he was taking the snaps.

Roethlisberger

66.4 completion rating

2621 yards in 14 games

17 TDs--11 INTs

Eli Manning

48.2 completion rating

1043 yards in 7 games

6 TDs and 9 INTs

Peyton's rookie year was impressive (3739 yards) but he threw 26 touchdowns and 28 INTs as well.

I am officially off the soapbox.

892005[/snapback]

I hope you're kidding. You'll compare Little Manning to Ben. With the lines being what they were on their respective teams. With the game situations being what they were. When Manning took over last year the "D" for their last six games gave up an average of 30pts. per game. Put Ben in that situation. Ben didn't win games, the team did. To his credit though, he didn't lose them either. Let's not forget the Pitt. "D" in the equation either. The Pitt game plan was taylor made for the rook and his situation. You should thank "God" they had the tools on the team to support him. Yes, this should definitely help with his confidence but, he's in no way what you're making him out to be. Not yet anyway. You're comparing him to Marino? Not just yet, I'd say he's got just a little bit more to prove.

I hope you're kidding. You'll compare Little Manning to Ben. With the lines being what they were on their respective teams. With the game situations being what they were. When Manning took over last year the "D" for their last six games gave up an average of 30pts. per game. Put Ben in that situation. Ben didn't win games, the team did. To his credit though, he didn't lose them either. Let's not forget the Pitt. "D" in the equation either. The Pitt game plan was taylor made for the rook and his situation. You should thank "God" they had the tools on the team to support him. Yes, this should definitely help with his confidence but, he's in no way what you're making him out to be. Not yet anyway. You're comparing him to Marino? Not just yet, I'd say he's got just a little bit more to prove.

892152[/snapback]

I agree, but if you are die-hard Steeler fan, and watched every play, you could see the talent that this kid has. He has a great arm, the ability to throw on the run, and the ability to improvise. He also appears to have a good head for the game. I think people don't give him enough credit for what he did last year because he played for a team that could run the ball well and play good defense. In games where he was forced to throw more (Giants game), he came through. He's got the tools, time will tell how well he uses them.

You may be right about some of us not seeing him week in and out and the talent he displayed through the year. I didn't see him every week and can just say what I did see was a lot of running, good "D" and like I said before; to his credit he didn't lose games either. As far as coming through in the Giant game though, this was the time the Giant secondary was being burnt for big plays. Also there was NO pass rush whatso ever. The "D" was giving up an avarage of 30pts. per game over their last six, this being one of them. At this point there wasn't really much left to beat.

892152[/snapback]

I didn't compare Ben to Marino at any point. I said Marino would rather have a Superbowl ring over holding records. He's said it publicly, so that is that.

What I did say is that you can't get wrapped up in stats. Winning games is what it is all about. The kid won 14 games in his first NFL season and was brought in after an injury forced the Steelers to start him. I wouldn't call that situation tailor made. He went from "learn the playbook and maybe you can play in the fourth quarter once in a while" to "you're the starter this week." Let me ask you this--do you really think that the Steelers would have been 15-1 with Tommy Maddox at the helm? Please. Ben scrambled to make plays and he was under pressure quite a bit (he was sacked 30 times). That Giants O line you referred to made sure Tiki Barber had 1518 yards without much help from Toomer or Hilliard.

Ben made plays with his legs--Maddox can't do that. And that vaunted Steeler D in 2003 went 6-10 and brought in two rookies and Willie Williams for the 2004 campaign. The talent level didn't change with trades. Did they play better? Obviously. No offense to my Steeler brethren, but our defensive secondary is not exactly the stuff of legend. By the way, the Giants went 6-10 last season as well. With Strahan back, that will change. The Giants will be back in the hunt this season for certain.

My point is this--given a tough situation, Ben came in and won games. And yes, he won them with help, but without him, they don't win the games at all. He was very good last season. End of story.

Edited by Ruffian

You're right about Marino wanting a SB ring. I think any competitor at that level would want that over their records. Well, most anyway. What I meant by the situation being taylor made for him was this; the running game and "D" was there to lead them through most games. They didn't have to put the game on Ben's shoulders to win or lose. He had a supporting cast, unlike many other rooks thrown into the same type situation. You would have to agree, Ben in no way threw the ball very much during games.

As far as Tiki running for 1500 yds and the Giant "O" line. Yes it was a great year for Tiki however, you think 30 sacks is a lot? Look to last year and how many sacks the Giant line gave up. Now, I'm just pulling this from the top of my head because I'm too lazy to look right now but, I think the Giant "O" line gave up 50+.

Anyway what I've said before, and this is to Ben's credit, he didn't lose any regular season games. Maybe he'll be one of the great qbs in the NFL, maybe he won't, but I just think it's a little early to be saying either way.

As far as Tiki running for 1500 yds and the Giant "O" line. Yes it was a great year for Tiki however, you think 30 sacks is a lot? Look to last year and how many sacks the Giant line gave up. Now, I'm just pulling this from the top of my head because I'm too lazy to look right now but, I think the Giant "O" line gave up 50+.

Anyway what I've said before, and this is to Ben's credit, he didn't lose any regular season games. Maybe he'll be one of the great qbs in the NFL, maybe he won't, but I just think it's a little early to be saying either way.

892878[/snapback]

I disagree. While the Giant O line wasn't a stone wall, the real problem lay with the WR corps who simply did not get open. Warner and Eli combine for 52 sacks while Ben and Tommy added up to 36. a difference of 16--or one per game. I'm thinking that Toomer and Hilliard were the issue. If Burress can be an impact player right away, Eli might have a chance to show what he can do.