[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hutch's contract info

bigbadwolf

They didn't sign him to join the committee...

He is the new Westbrook

1365485[/snapback]

so if Onterrio comes back and looks like he did before last season...they're just gonna let him sit?

edit:this is Childress we are talking about...an AR protege....there will be RBBC...don't get it twisted..

Edited by Avernus

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so if Onterrio comes back and looks like he did before last season...they're just gonna let him sit?

edit:this is Childress we are talking about...an AR protege....there will be RBBC...don't get it twisted..

1365491[/snapback]

AR.... help me out here Ave man.... AR?

When is the last time the words "Vikings" and "signed to a hugh deal" have been used in the same story?

Now, who is Hutch going to be protecting?

1365561[/snapback]

That's the question of the hour. Who?

Interesting that so much of the money is paid out in the first year. They structured it in such a way that Seattle COULDN'T match it because of Alexander's contract. Seattle can blame Alexander for taking such a "big peice of the pie" that they couldn't retain his awesome line.

Interesting that so much of the money is paid out in the first year. They structured it in such a way that Seattle COULDN'T match it because of Alexander's contract. Seattle can blame Alexander for taking such a "big peice of the pie" that they couldn't retain his awesome line.

1365959[/snapback]

I had no problem with Alexander's contract (though I would rather have Edge with the contract he got from Arizona) and its no secret that I am not a fan of Alexander's. Even if the Hawks hadn't signed Alexander already, I don't think they are spending that much for a guard.

Now JJ and Manuel I am a little more ticked about. It really suprises me that Alexander is the ONLY contract they got done before free agency started. If they really did have the club house atmosphere they were claming, these guys should have been lining up to sign contracts coming off the Super Bowl year. Makes me kind of wonder how they all really feel about Alexander (despite what they all say.)

Edited by NoSupe4You

1365959[/snapback]

Incorrect. From Danny O'Neil, Tacoma News Tribune this AM:

"Seattle has the salary-cap room to match the offer to Hutchinson if it chooses. The Seahawks are currently about $17 million below the salary cap, but that total doesn't include the more than $6 million currently allotted to Hutchinson as the transition player. If the Vikings' offer results in a cap hit of $10 million, Seattle would still have more than $13 million in salary-cap room if it matched the offer and retained Hutchinson."

HUTCHINSON OFFER HAS MAJOR POISON PILL

A league source tells us that the offer sheet signed

by Seahawks guard Steve Hutchinson with the Minnesota

Vikings contains a poison pill of unprecedented

magnitude and significance, which is aimed at

preventing Seattle from exercising its right to match

the deal, pursuant to the rules applicable to

transition players.

Apart from a 2006 cap number that exceeds $13 million,

the offer sheet contains a provision that makes the

entire deal guaranteed if Hutchinson at any point

becomes anything other than the highest paid player on

the team.

From Seattle's perspective, that's a big problem, in

light of the Walter Jones contract. If the Seahawks

match, Hutchinson's deal could indeed become fully

guaranteed from day one.

The Seahawks could attempt to match the offer and

exclude the poison pill provision, taking the position

that it is not a "Principal Term" of the deal. Under

Article XX, Section 5 of the CBA, only the "Principal

Terms" must be matched.

So what are "Principle Terms"? Under Article XIX,

Section 3(e)(ii) of the CBA, "Principle Terms" include

"[a]ny modifications of and additions to the terms

contained in the NFL Player Contract . . . that relate

to non-compensation terms (including guarantees,

no-cut, and no-trade provisions)." Applying the

language literally, the poison pill "relates to" a

guarantee because it sets forth a specific

circumstance in which the specified compensation will

become guaranteed.

There's a chance that the Seahawks will attempt to

fashion an argument that the trigger for the guarantee

violates the spirit of the CBA by placing an

artificial limit on the money that can be paid to

other players. But, in reality, it doesn't -- it

merely provides the player who ultimately is not the

highest paid player a guaranteed contract.

Though the issue ultimately might land before an

arbitrator or a special master, we think that the

Vikings will prevail on this one.

We're also told that the Seahawks are livid at

Hutchinson and agent Tom Condon with this development.

It's one thing, as they see it, for a guy to get the

best offer he can on the open market. It's another

thing to huddle with the new team in an effort to come

up with an offer that the Seahawks can't or won't be

able to match.

HUTCHINSON OFFER HAS MAJOR POISON PILL

We're also told that the Seahawks are livid at

Hutchinson and agent Tom Condon with this development.

It's one thing, as they see it, for a guy to get the

best offer he can on the open market. It's another

thing to huddle with the new team in an effort to come

up with an offer that the Seahawks can't or won't be

able to match.

1366596[/snapback]

What happened to "I want to come back to the Seahawks." It is one thing to try and maximize your earnings, but he would have gotten other offers, and probably at close to this one. To jump on an offer that quick that pretty much eliminates your old team from resigning you (even if they wanted to pay you the money) is pretty f'd up.

It was emailed to me from a buddy. I asked him the same question, says he got it off PFT and heard the same thing on KFAN.

1366611[/snapback]

Yep, looks like ProFootball Talk. If valid, this could make things tough for the Hawks, although worst case, guaranteeing a long term contract for such a young pro-bowl caliber player may not be as hard a decision as it looks at first glance.

FWIW, Mike Sando just addressed this in his blog, stating that:

"I do not think such poison pills are permissible under the CBA. We shall see." :D

I am not sure why this is such a big deal. Hutch has been in the league for 5 years. A good lineman is going to play 12+ years in the league. So you are just giving him a guaranteed contract. Big deal :D

I guess i am just old school where all legal contracts should be guaranteed anyway.

I am not sure why this is such a big deal.  Hutch has been in the league for 5 years.  A good lineman is going to play 12+ years in the league.  So you are just giving him a guaranteed contract.  Big deal  :D

I guess i am just old school where all legal contracts should be guaranteed anyway.

1366648[/snapback]

Isn't it idiotic from the Vikings standpoint to guarantee that your highest paid player is a GUARD? I understand that they are trying to price Seattle out of the Market, but it almost sounds foolish to me, since it's hard to make the argument that Left Guard is the most important position on a football team.

Isn't it idiotic from the Vikings standpoint to guarantee that your highest paid player is a GUARD? I understand that they are trying to price Seattle out of the Market, but it almost sounds foolish to me, since it's hard to make the argument that Left Guard is the most important position on a football team.

1366673[/snapback]

"Left Guards Win Championships" - V. Lombardi

1366673[/snapback]

Maybe i am reading it wrong, but if he isn't the highest played player. His contract just becomes guarenteed. It doesn't say that he WILL be the highest played player.

Maybe I am wrong???? :D

Maybe i am reading it wrong, but if he isn't the highest played player.  His contract just becomes guarenteed.  It doesn't say that he WILL be the highest played player.

Maybe I am wrong????  :D

1366696[/snapback]

Thats exactly what I am reading...not that he becomes highest paid, just guaranteed