[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

About that Denver running game poll

DMD

Hmmm... I mean you just NEVER really know with Denver. Think Gary, Anderson and Droughns... :D

You know, I will project them. But not so sure I would personally draft any of them.

Updated: May 8, 2006, 7:39 PM ET

Broncos sign rookie free agent running back Mike Bell

National Football League News Wire

DENVER -- Former University of Arizona running back Mike Bell has signed a rookie free agent contract with the Denver Broncos.

Bell rushed for 3,163 yards, 17 touchdowns and a 4.7-yard average in his career for the Wildcats, whom he led in rushing all four seasons. The three-year starter also caught 56 passes for 465 yards and a touchdown.

He rushed for a career-best 952 yards on 200 carries with five TDs his senior season.

Bell (6 feet and 215 pounds) was the state's player of the year at Tolleson High School in Tolleson, Ariz., where he rushed for 4,692 yards, second-most in state history.

Hmmm... I mean you just NEVER really know with Denver. Think Gary, Anderson and Droughns...  :D

You know, I will project them. But not so sure I would personally draft any of them.

1457959[/snapback]

Me neither and adding the Patriots to that list. With Dayne and Bell they really don't have a pounding goal line back. Is R Bell that back?

I think they can be successful but need a pounder.

Interesting prospect to muddy up the works; fast enough (4.62) with decent size and major college productivity - sounds like he lacks heart in the PFW guide. If you don't have heart, you can't play in the NFL.

Me neither and adding the Patriots to that list. With Dayne and Bell they really don't have a pounding goal line back. Is R Bell that back?

1457979[/snapback]

17 tds in 679 collegiate carries say "no"

Mike Bell sounds like some frankenstein that Shanahan put together using parts from Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell. Now just watch him get stoned and pull a hamstring.... :D

Mike Bell sounds like some frankenstein that Shanahan put together using parts from Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell. Now just watch him get stoned and pull a hamstring.... :D

1458086[/snapback]

Maybe his dog will trip him on the stairs. :D

Or....he'll attempt to hang the phone up with a bang...miss...and punch the granite countertop. :D

1458086[/snapback]

IMO they should not have let go of Anderson. They need that big RB for the goal line. I say the current running backs will do okay, but numbers should dip compared to previous years.

Position: RB

Class: Sr

School: Arizona

Conference: Pacific-10

Ht., Wt.: 6-0.5, 221

40 Time: 4.63

Bell was a fun player to grade because he has the foot quickness, agility and burst to make things happen when plays break down. With his size and natural strength, he has the ability to be a punishing inside runner who can break tackles, punish tacklers and gain yards after contact. But he is not nearly as good a runner between the tackles as he is outside. On the 'Hoof' he looks like a big back, but he has the athleticism and running skills of a small back. He is a dangerous runner on outside runs because he can run over defensive backs, can make the sharp cut-back and burst through the hole or can shake and make a tackler miss out on the edge. Once he gets into the open field he tends to raise his level of aggressiveness, will lower his shoulder more consistently and deliver punishment to tacklers. The trouble is that he is somewhat one dimensional in that he has not been a big time receiver and is an inconsistent pass blocker, so he is primarily effective when he carries the ball. Overall, Bell has the physical tools to be a very good starting running back in the NFL, but in order to become the player he is capable of he is going to need to play more aggressively on every snap. He will end up being a good starter who struggles to stay healthy for an entire season and will have to come out of games in clear passing situations because of his pass blocking ability.

Negatives

Bell looks smaller than his measured size and does not consistently run aggressively. At times he runs upright, takes a lot of hard hits and punishment. He does not pick up his feet consistently in traffic and it leads to him getting tripped up by low, grab tackles too often for such a big back. He is not a polished receiver and does not do a good job in pass protection. Despite having the size, strength and athleticism, he has not proven himself to be able to handle the full workload of 25-plus carries over a full season without getting too dinged up. Bell is quicker than fast and lacks the top level playing speed to be a long play threat.

I really don't see Dayne being that much of a drop off from Anderson. I've always appreciated Mike's effort, but he never showed too much vision --- and around the goalline he could be effective, but didn't really know what to do. He didn't go over the top well and would bounce it outside instead of taking on a would-be-tackler.

I think Dayne and Bell look a lot like Anderson and Bell, in a little more open offense. Cobbs will get some looks, but would take an injury to be able to be "the man"

I say Bell for 1000 yards and 5TDS

Dayne for 700 and 8TDS

Cobb doesn't factor in too much---

I coach football in Arizona and Bell was a stud in High School and played on some bad UofA teams trust me if he can get a shot with Denver he could surprise. He has that type of running style whichis great for the zone blocking Schemes that Denver likes to run.