[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kevin Jones to be everydown back (June 2nd)

cliaz

The Detroit News reports Kevin Jones will remain on the field in all situations next season. Offensive coordinator Mike Martz wants Jones to play on the goal line and third downs as well. "He has to do it all, and he's accepted that very well," Martz said. "He's a well-rounded back. There's a lot for him to learn."

Jones was a serious bust last season, but all the talk about him from Martz and new head coach Rod Marinelli has been positive. He still possesses a ton of potential and will be worth a second- to fourth-round selection in most seasonal drafts.

In a redrafter...it sounds like a good reason to snag KJ in the late 2nd/early 3rd (instead of the 4th/5th) and to snag Calhoun in the 8th-10th (instead of the 12th -16th).

Either that or now he'll just suck a lot more often each game.    :D

1496993[/snapback]

:D Funny I was thinking along similar lines.

:D Same thing that was said last year and after watching the last half of the 2004 season figured he would be a sneaky pickup with a second round pick. 4-8 points a game for a RB is ridiculous, but that is what I averaged with him. I wish him the best this season, but I will let someone else grab him unless he falls to a later round.

Knock Jones up a few notches, but I'd still be wary that Jones can take the punishment. More reason to lock up Calhoun if you can get him.

1496907[/snapback]

I was going to say this...

thievery is at an all time high..

as a weary lions season ticket holder, i'd hold off on jones. lions have done nothing to improve a poor o-line. plus, martz loves to pass so expect fewer carries.

1497713[/snapback]

Martz's offenses also move the ball really well, which sets up plenty of scoring chances for his RBs. I think it's funny that people keep pointing to how Martz used Steven Jackson and using it as a warning against KJ this year. Jackson still finished with almost 1400 total yards and 10 touchdowns.

Plus, Martz is auditioning for another head coaching gig. What's the rap on him so far? "He's too pass-happy." GMs around the league know that and so does Martz. I'd bet the farm that he'll do whatever it takes to shed that label.

Martz joined a team that woefully underused its multi-talented running back last year. Millen and Marinelli have both made it clear that they want the team to be run a more physical, running offense. KJ has the skills to do it. Martz has the motivation to use those skills.

Go ahead and keep letting KJ slide.