[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hmmm....

DMD

I was making burgers yesterday and I did like I have done before - cover it with some Tony Chachere's creole seasoning and coated with a bit of olive oil then cooked in a skillet. I even put a bit of parmasan on it. Not the first time I had done that.

But typically I take the ground beef and form tightly packed patties. This time for some reason, I just cut the pound package into fourths and put it in the skillet not pressing it all together. Smooshed it flatter with a spatula, but not all that much.

They came out delicious and the only thing I can think of is that I did not form tight patties. I mean they were really good. My wife then told me she heard you are not supposed to make tightly packed patties which was the first time I had ever heard that.

Have I stumbled upon the right way to make hamburger patties?

I was making burgers yesterday and I did like I have done before - cover it with some Tony Chachere's creole seasoning and coated with a bit of olive oil then cooked in a skillet. I even put a bit of parmasan on it. Not the first time I had done that.

But typically I take the ground beef and form tightly packed patties. This time for some reason, I just cut the pound package into fourths and put it in the skillet not pressing it all together. Smooshed it flatter with a spatula, but not all that much.

They came out delicious and the only thing I can think of is that I did not form tight patties. I mean they were really good. My wife then told me she heard you are not supposed to make tightly packed patties which was the first time I had ever heard that.

:thinkingofmakingpattypackingjokebut knwoingbetter:

Uuummmm, this is a tasty burger. Mind if I have some of your tasty beverage to wash this down with? :D

definitely no squishing of your meat. :D See the Weber cookbook. No squishing, no flipping (except once for you burger of course).

Yep. Search around for the "Good Eats" show on burgers. Flip the burger only once. Dont smush it with the spatula. Dont tightly cram the patties. And bam, you have good burgers.

Next time, try only seasoning with salt and pepper.

Or, if you wanna be fancy, try a stuffed burger. make a thin patty, find something to put in between (Google) and put another thin patty on top and seal the edges.

• 7 months later...

Yes. :D That sounds amazing. I want one. Mouth watering.

Or, if you wanna be fancy, try a stuffed burger. make a thin patty, find something to put in between (Google) and put another thin patty on top and seal the edges.

My wife found a recipie for a cheesy ranch burger. Take a packet of dry ranch (or italian) dressing mix, a pound (more or less to taste) of your favorite shredded cheese, and mix it in with a pound or two of ground hamburger. Press into the size patties you prefer and grill your favorite way. Not exactly a stuffed burger, but wonderfully good IMHO.