[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bears are the best team in football

Goopster24

Tommy Harris is the best defensive player in the NFL. Better than Urlacher. Better than Ray Lewis. Better than ANYONE. He was SICK last night. He could have had 5 or 6 sacks so easily. Seattle simply could not block him. Thank you Jerry Angelo for drafting him and thank you to the 14 NFL teams that passed on him in the draft two years ago.

I'll agree to disagree but, I still agree. :D

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No argument that the Bears have played the best football in the NFL through 4 weeks. However, we'll find out who the best team in football is in Ferbruary. A lot of games yet to be played.

The Bears have the best front four in football. They bring pressure with all four of those guys and don't even need to blitz their linebackers. That pays out HUGE.

I'd argue that Atlanta's front four is better (Kerney, Abraham, Coleman, Grady Jackson). But CHI's front four is cetainly elite. Having a lot of depth at CB helps Da Bears as well. Ricky Manning, Jr. could be a starter on a lot of teams and the Bears have the luxury of using him as a nickelback.

As for rankings, I'd say that the Top 5 looks like this right now...

1. CHI

2. CIN

3. IND

4. ATL

5. BAL

Still LOTS of football to be played, though.

Tommy Harris is the best defensive player in the NFL. Better than Urlacher. Better than Ray Lewis. Better than ANYONE. He was SICK last night. He could have had 5 or 6 sacks so easily. Seattle simply could not block him. Thank you Jerry Angelo for drafting him and thank you to the 14 NFL teams that passed on him in the draft two years ago.

This is just cheerleading. Better than Ray Lewis? How many MVP-caliber seasons has Tommy Harris had? Is he better than Julius Peppers? Or Dwight Freeney? Or Troy Polamalu? Or Ed Reed?

Edited by Bill Swerski

As long as the Bears O does their part they will be very tough to beat. But yeah like someone said before Rex has to play a whole season which would be like hitting the lottery. :D

And oh yeah, that D needs to play like the studs they are in the playoffs. The past two playoff performances at home (Eagles and Panthers) have been stinkers.

This is just cheerleading. Better than Ray Lewis? How many MVP-caliber seasons has Tommy Harris had? Is he better than Julius Peppers? Or Dwight Freeney? Or Troy Polamalu? Or Ed Reed?

Tommy Harris is having the best year out of anyone you have listed. I speak of this year, not the past.

He was the best player on the field last night. He was also the absolute reason the Bears beat the Vikings last week. He's already got 5 sacks tied for the LEAGUE LEAD - except he plays DEFENSIVE TACKLE, facing double teams ALL THE TIME. Add the forced fumble which was a game changer at the Vikings and the fact that it's only Tommy's third year and I'll stand by my statement. Today, Tommy Harris is the best defensive player in the NFL.

Tommy Harris is having the best year out of anyone you have listed. I speak of this year, not the past.

He was the best player on the field last night. He was also the absolute reason the Bears beat the Vikings last week. He's already got 5 sacks tied for the LEAGUE LEAD - except he plays DEFENSIVE TACKLE, facing double teams ALL THE TIME. Add the forced fumble which was a game changer at the Vikings and the fact that it's only Tommy's third year and I'll stand by my statement. Today, Tommy Harris is the best defensive player in the NFL.

Small sample size alert! :D

Agreed that Harris has played at a very high level over the past month, but it's just a teeny bit too soon to be calling him the best defensive player in the NFL. You might want to wait until the end of the year before annointing him the next Warren Sapp.

And BTW, Ricky Manning Jr. was arguably more of an impact player last night than Harris (despite what Madden claims). Those two picks resulted in 10 points for CHI. Also, Harris is not double-teamed all of the time.

Tough for me to say this as a Pack fan but all around the Bears are the best team in football.Best defense,not a suprise.Rex Grossman is playing superb football right now and if that O-line keeps it up I can see no team in the NFC hanging with them.The offense is downright dangerous.Never thought I would hear myself say that.

I don't think an argument can be made for any other team being better than the Bears are right now. Fantastic defense, good special teams, a QB that's making plays and a running game that's only just starting to get going.

They're clearly the best team in the NFC, and the way they manhandled the Seahawks last night, I wonder if any other NFC is even close to them right now.

In the AFC...

The Colts are still susceptible to a team smacking them in the mouth and disrupting Manning, and I still don't believe they can run the ball or stop the run against a good team.

The Bengals can't stop the run either, just like they couldn't last year. They beat the Steelers by taking advantage of turnovers and Roethlisberger playing terribly, but the Patriots didn't make those mistakes yesterday.

The Chargers could've made a case if they'd held on in Baltimore yesterday, but they didn't.

And despite yesterday's wins, I'm not sold that the Ravens or Patriots are one of the best teams in the NFL right now.

The Steelers won't return to the conversation unless/until Roethlisberger returns to form and the special teams get corrected.

Small sample size alert! :D

Agreed that Harris has played at a very high level over the past month, but it's just a teeny bit too soon to be calling him the best defensive player in the NFL. You might want to wait until the end of the year before annointing him the next Warren Sapp.

And BTW, Ricky Manning Jr. was arguably more of an impact player last night than Harris (despite what Madden claims). Those two picks resulted in 10 points for CHI. Also, Harris is not double-teamed all of the time.

If he's playing with the same accomplshiments by week 12, you can begin the annointment as the torch will have been passed by that point. Until then, he's off to a white hot start, but 4 games doesn't eclipse what the others listed have done. People need to calm down on this stuff. I'm old enough to remember the 85 Bears, which also means I remember the 1986 and 1988 Bears who went 26-6 those 2 years, and 1-2 in the postseason.

Also, the Bears D has suffered mightily recently when a player no one's mentioned gets hurt: Mike Brown. He's the lynchpin because no one can replace what he does. If Urlacher or Harris gets hurt there's depth behind them to fill in adequately. I haven't seen that the last 2 times Brown's gotten hurt, so Harris might not even be the most important player on the D, stats notwithstanding.

I'm extremely impressed with the Bears offense - Grossman in particular. The defense has been a staple in recent years. It was the O that was lacking, and its the O that is making the difference. They appear to be firing on all cylinders now. Very nice balance.

Is this offense capable of paying from behind though?

The Bears look fantastic right now and deserve all the credit and alcolades bestowed upon them-no doubt. The Seahawks looked very flat last night and ready for the bye week and they played like a team that didn't expect to win but had to show up anyway. It was a classic drubbing laid on them by Chicago and the vaunted Seattle line looked mediocre at best. In the NFL it's not how ya start but how ya finish, but the Bears have another bit of fortune, as the 1st place teams of the NYG and Bucs don't even appear to be PO calibur this season.

Is this offense capable of paying from behind though?

I'd be happy to never know the answer to that. :D

The Minny game last week? :D

If he's playing with the same accomplshiments by week 12, you can begin the annointment as the torch will have been passed by that point. Until then, he's off to a white hot start, but 4 games doesn't eclipse what the others listed have done. People need to calm down on this stuff. I'm old enough to remember the 85 Bears, which also means I remember the 1986 and 1988 Bears who went 26-6 those 2 years, and 1-2 in the postseason.

No kidding. The excessive cheerleading is no doubt partially due to the over-the-top Chicago sports media, who have probably annointed Da Bears as the SB XLI champs already.

While I'm excited about Da Bears as well, it's worth keeping in mind that this franchise hasn't won a playoff game in 16 years. I've been following the Bears since the Bob Avellini/Vince Evans years (hell, I got to watch my dad play a charity basketball game against Avellini, Payton, Jim Osborne, and a few others) and if there's one thing I've learned, it's: TEMPER YOUR ENTHUSIASM... IT'S A LONG SEASON.

And regarding Harris, I remember Alex Brown playing with off-the-hook dominance for about 3 or 4 weeks last season and nobody's saying that HE'S the best defensive player in the NFL right now.

To quote the Happy Schnapps Combo, "The Bears still suck, the Bears still suck!"

As a disgruntled Packer fan, I must admit that through 4 games, Chicago looks the best. But, like 2001 and 2005, you guys have a knack for folding in the post season.

While I'm excited about Da Bears as well, it's worth keeping in mind that this franchise hasn't won a playoff game in 16 years. I've been following the Bears since the Bob Avellini/Vince Evans years (hell, I got to watch my dad play a charity basketball game against Avellini, Payton, Jim Osborne, and a few others) and if there's one thing I've learned, it's: TEMPER YOUR ENTHUSIASM... IT'S A LONG SEASON.

As a Bears fan, I can be as enthusiastic as I want and I believe other fans should be too. This team is playing great RIGHT NOW. Whether they keep it up, who knows what happens. But I have a lot of confidence in this team and you can take that for what it's worth, if anything at all. I hear what you are saying but what's the point of not saying this team can do great things and have high expectations? I want to talk my team up and such because I truly believe they are the best. And it's not like I am coming from left field either....

Edited by Goopster24

As a Bears fan, I can be as enthusiastic as I want and I believe other fans should be too. This team is playing great RIGHT NOW. Whether they keep it up, who knows what happens. But I have a lot of confidence in this team and you can take that for what it's worth, if anything at all.

I'm not saying that you can't be enthusiastic or that you shouldn't have confidence in this squad. Not at all.

But it is irritating to see people here declare Tommy Harris as the "best defensive player in the NFL" or listen to Madden slobber all over Grossman's nuts and him to Favre. GMAFB! It's FOUR GAMES. Let's wait until, say, December before we annoint Grossman and Harris as the offensive and defensive POTY.

I'm not saying that you can't be enthusiastic or that you shouldn't have confidence in this squad. Not at all.

But it is irritating to see people here declare Tommy Harris as the "best defensive player in the NFL" or listen to Madden slobber all over Grossman's nuts and him to Favre. GMAFB! It's FOUR GAMES. Let's wait until, say, December before we annoint Grossman and Harris as the offensive and defensive POTY.

Touche on that one. I'll say this: if it was any other team, I'd be annoyed for the most part. But because it's the team I root for, it doesn't irritate me really.

Touche on that one. I'll say this: if it was any other team, I'd be annoyed for the most part. But because it's the team I root for, it doesn't irritate me really.

If they're still playing like this in late November, I'll be right on board with you. :D

To quote the Happy Schnapps Combo, "The Bears still suck, the Bears still suck!"

As a disgruntled Packer fan, I must admit that through 4 games, Chicago looks the best. But, like 2001 and 2005, you guys have a knack for folding in the post season.

2001=Dick Jauron! Joke/lucky season

2005=good team, bad game/ game planning