[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Could Rookie Chris Johnson push passed White to be the Starter?

irish

There is speculation that Titans rookie RB Chris Johnson could take the starting job from RB LenDale White if he plays well at the start of the season. Johnson should definitely see 3rd down duties and therefore will have value in PPR leagues. But will that value grow?

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../808140354/1027

He's expected to split carries with third-year pro LenDale White, but could earn significant playing time, and perhaps even emerge as the starter, if he's effective early in the season.

He's expected to split carries with third-year pro LenDale White, but could earn significant playing time, and perhaps even emerge as the starter, if he's effective early in the season.

It's really not such a revelation. For Fischer, the best RB will start. White isn't as entrenched as some think. He has his flaws and was hardly some top pick with a huge contract. Johnson has his flaws too but his are much easier to overcome than Lendale's... ie. Lendale won't be running in the 4.2's anytime soon.

According to Fischer, Johnson will get some looks behind the starting OL this week. I wouldn't assume Johnson is suddenly ahead of White but at least Fischer sees enough to give him a look with the starters this week.

Edited by kingfish247

It's really not such a revelation. For Fischer, the best RB will start. White isn't as entrenched as some think. He has his flaws and was hardly some top pick with a huge contract.
er he was like the 1st or 2d pick of the 2d round. ie almost Round 1 pick. That's pretty high.

Johnson has his flaws too but his are much easier to overcome than Lendale's... ie. Lendale won't be running in the 4.2's anytime soon.
And johnson won't be breaking many tackles any time soon. Each bring diff things to the table, but what White appears to be able to bring is a steady guy who you can pound away with and count on, which is what you need most of the time - not a guy who will maybe (maybe) break one big run each game but give you little else most of the rest of the time. No it's hardly a lock this is true of Johnson, but IMO he appears more of a Bennett type who has so far had one flashy run and little else and right now is a lot of talk and fluff. Show me repeated good runs and ability to do well in various situations against 1st stringers and maybe I'll start buying into all this.

According to Fischer, Johnson will get some looks behind the starting OL this week. I wouldn't assume Johnson is suddenly ahead of White but at least Fischer sees enough to give him a look with the starters this week.
Since he was a top pick, yeah I would think so.

PS I think he will definitely see his touches this year too. But at this point I'd be surprised if he got more than even 1/3 of all carries, if that.

The pre-season hype machine :wacko:

Edited by BeeR

It's been done before successfully - the Giants did it with Barber and PHI is doing it with Westbrook. But the usual rule of thumb in the NFL is to start the hammer & let them get the bulk of the carries, and then let the CoP come in for less duty in passing downs and when the D might be a bit worn down. Not having a legit threat to run between the tackles allows the D to widen the LoS and that helps it out both on the edge vs the run and on passing plays in rush angles.

I'd guess that Johnson would have to be hands down more talented than White for TEN to go that way. I don't know if that's true - not because White is so good, but rather that Johnson doesn't rise that much above him to effectively throw away part of the O early on.

er he was like the 1st or 2d pick of the 2d round. ie almost Round 1 pick. That's pretty high.

White was the 13th pick in the 2nd round so not almost anything other than the middle of the 2nd round.

The pre-season hype machine :wacko:

What's hype about saying Johson could compete for the starter role?

Thing is I just don't get why everyone thinks White is some untouchable, entrenched veteran RB. He's coming off a season where he averaged less than 3.7 ypc, his longest play from scrimmage was 28 yds. Yeah, ok, he's tough for playing through his torn MCL last year but still... the year before he was constantly spraining an ankle nevermind how that and his MCL injury relates to his constant weight issues.

Look, I own White. He's my only keeper in a 1 player keeper/redraft league this year (that sounds sadder than it really is due to the keeper rules) but I will be drafting Johnson.

Edited by kingfish247

In an ideal case, you could see a thunder and lightning combo with Lendale and Johnson. Bit with Young already allowing defenses to stack the box and Lendale doing more of the same, Johnson may not have much room to run.

I'd say the more likely scenario is that Johnson is used to spell Lendale and keep the D on their toes on occasion. I just can't see him being a reliable 3rd down option because only does one thing - run really, really fast. He won't be asked to break tackles, run inside, or catch passes. He does have upside but I would be wary of the hype machine here.

White was the 13th pick in the 2nd round
My bad - still a high pick though.

What's hype about saying Johson could compete for the starter role?
Because it's based mostly on coachspeak?

Thing is I just don't get why everyone thinks White is some untouchable, entrenched veteran RB.
He's not "untouchable." But it's more than a little rare for an un-flashy yet reliable 1000 yd RB (on a pathetic offense no less) to be unseated by a guy who has shown speed and little else.

If he's tough enough to take an NFL beating then you might as well get while the getting is good in your dynasty and keeper leagues since at least right now he's a value pick. I think White is probably the safer of the two in redrafts. Tennessee's St/D should be much improved from a fantasy perspective now too.

Even more than his speed, I like his footwork and the fact that it does not appear he can be arm tackled. He's got some moves too. If his body can take the punishment, he will be a stud. 5' 11" 197 lbs. isn't tiny.

Unfortunately, he's such a hilight reel he might start going too early.

Yawn. Any back in the NFL can get through gaping holes. All these small backs perform great in the preseason. We haven't seen him get through the line yet when there isn't a huge hole. He still gets stuck at the line of scrimmage in these situations thus far this season. He is flat scary in space, more explosive than I expected, but I don't think he is as strong through the line as say MJD. He still has a lot to prove, and I'm quite sure that people will reach for him before I will be comfortable taking him. Intrigued, yes...sold, no.

I don't think it matters who starts, as they both will play significantly and should contribute. I would guess that i will be around a 60/40 split in favor of White (due to Fischer's conservative tendancies). They bring two totally different dynamics to the game and I believe they will make each other better.

I know it is just preseason but, Johnson looked real good last night against the Raiders. I would definitely consider him as a solid #3 RB, who has the potienitial to be a #2 if it all falls right for him.

Adios, and stay thirsty my friends