[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm sure I'm in the minority

Cunning Runt

You need to pull your head out of your ass once in a while .... dude. You've completely missed my point.... dude.

Did you even read the specific post you replied to.... dude?

So I take it you agree that the bolded statement below is undeniably wrong? Because, quite frankly, it is. Your solution to the fact that the advice forum is useless it to simply allow people to ask for advice in this forum. Do you actually not realize how massively flawed that logic is? You wouldn't "at least get worthwhile feedback because you'd simply have the same useless advice forum with an occasional non-advice related thread thrown in to push threads to page 2 even faster. In other words, it would suck even worse and there'd be no place for anyone to actually discuss football unrelated to WDIS, etc. because you'd have to sift through a sea of crap to find these non-advice related threads.

But right, the specific point you were making there was not specifically that we should just merge the two threads but rather not bother telling people that they're posting in the wrong thread when they do. Gotcha. I see now that's a huge difference. Because if we just create an advice but let people ask for advice in another, that forum will never become overrun with advice questions.

Listen, don't hate the messenger. Hate the fact that you're wrong.

I know many of you don't like "cluttering" the main board with who do I starts? Or would you make this trade? For my part, I don't mind in the least if all the posts were in one place. At least you'd likely get some worthwhile feedback. At least it generates discussion on the main board whereas the Advice board is pretty much pointless.

I don't generally ask for much advice at all, but it bugs me that when someone even vaguely suggests something advice-related on the main board - even in the context of a larger discussion, there's BJ or someone else telling them they're posting in the wrong board.

Like I said, I'm almost certainly in the minority, but from my perspective y'all gotta lighten up.

Edited by detlef

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been trying to offer some of my services over there and I think the forum is too cluttered with questions from people who seemingly have no purpose playing fantasy football to begin with. So many "start my whole team" or "start 2wr/2rb". To me, if it comes down to leaning on someone else for most of your lineup/decisions what is the point/fun of playing to begin with?

1. Too many people not offering the pertinent information needed for advice.

2. Too many people wanting you to start 6 of their players (not appealing).

3. Too many people willing to take and not give.

All of which clutters/clouds and pushes out legitimate questions.

The Advice Forum has been a joke for years. Didn't used to be that way.... but it is now. I am happy it is there though...keeps most of the dimwits off the MB.

Big John does a fantastic job in a thankless job. I am more than happy he is here and doing that job. He doesn't get enough attaboy's.

I've been trying to offer some of my services over there and I think the forum is too cluttered with questions from people who seemingly have no purpose playing fantasy football to begin with. So many "start my whole team" or "start 2wr/2rb". To me, if it comes down to leaning on someone else for most of your lineup/decisions what is the point/fun of playing to begin with?

1. Too many people not offering the pertinent information needed for advice.

2. Too many people wanting you to start 6 of their players (not appealing).

3. Too many people willing to take and not give.

All of which clutters/clouds and pushes out legitimate questions.

Good post.

BTW, should I start Smith or Nicks or Boldin or Breaston or Ochocinco or Housh? :wacko:

Call me a masochist, but when I have time (which has been far less than I'd like the past month) I enjoy reading and contributing to the advice forum.

Having to think through and document my take on other folks dilemma's about who to start and who to sit helps me evaluate my own league(s) talent pools and clarify who I should be targeting and moving.

The forum isn't perfect, but I know a lot of new (and newer) comers to the ever growing world of fantasy football get value out of their participation in that part of this site. If you are knowledgeable and experienced, then sure, it's not going to be for you, but that's logical given your experience and understanding of FF and the NFL.

In respect to the suggestion at the start of the thread, I prefer keeping the forums separate, though I think when player evaluation questions come up in the context of a larger thread (as sometimes happens in the general fantasy football forum) it seems appropriate to allow those discussions to continue in that context.

WD

Edited by WashingtonD

The Advice Forum has been a joke for years. Didn't used to be that way.... but it is now. I am happy it is there though...keeps most of the dimwits off the MB.

Big John does a fantastic job in a thankless job. I am more than happy he is here and doing that job. He doesn't get enough attaboy's.

Well, he does win the MVH each year which serves as some recognition, and the annual allotment of tube socks that comes with it. :wacko:

Well, he does win the MVH each year which serves as some recognition, and the annual allotment of tube socks that comes with it. :wacko:

I've been thinking lately that maybe he should start sharing out some of those tube socks. He has to have a closet full by now. Whatcha think?

I disagree about the FA forum being a joke as well. It only becomes useless to those who have moved beyond the typical WDIS question. There are still a ton of FF n00bs around. People who are still learning, new to the game who do rely on others who are a bit more experienced to help them make their decisions. Over time & experience, if they truly love the game as most of us do then they move beyond the FA forum as well and instead will post more meaningful discussions on the main board. Think of the FA forum as a breeding ground for the future FFers rather than a cesspool.

I disagree about the FA forum being a joke as well. It only becomes useless to those who have moved beyond the typical WDIS question. There are still a ton of FF n00bs around. People who are still learning, new to the game who do rely on others who are a bit more experienced to help them make their decisions. Over time & experience, if they truly love the game as most of us do then they move beyond the FA forum as well and instead will post more meaningful discussions on the main board. Think of the FA forum as a breeding ground for the future FFers rather than a cesspool.

I applaud your patience and willness to help. Good on you, sir :D

Call me a selfish bastage, but I have not the time nor inclination to help those who will not help themselves. And(in a lot of cases) that's what I have witnessed in that forumn...people who want to be spoon fed their lineups and/or told 100% how to manage their team.

I question how that is even fun for them and why they would take the advice of people with no proven credibility. But, its their time and money so I will leave them to it :wacko:

I applaud your patience and willness to help. Good on you, sir :D

Call me a selfish bastage, but I have not the time nor inclination to help those who will not help themselves. And(in a lot of cases) that's what I have witnessed in that forumn...people who want to be spoon fed their lineups and/or told 100% how to manage their team.

I question how that is even fun for them and why they would take the advice of people with no proven credibility. But, its their time and money so I will leave them to it :wacko:

:D I didn't say I helped them, I just said the forum did have value to it.

As much as I'd love to, I only have time for individual questions directed my way and/or the occasional discussion on the main board.

I don't mind the Advice forum as a FF rookie this year. It's one of several I read. I refrain from answering most because I am new. Actually I do answer a few if and only if i have been watching the games with the players. I try to keep my opinion limited to the players I've watched play and when I give feedback I try to back it up or at least drop a +1 on someone else's comments that I think are accurate.

That being said.

I find the forum useful and am glad it is seperate. I like this forum a lot more. And while I spend 90% of my time reading rather then posting I do occasionally find some extremely friendly and wise posts in both forums.

Often it seem like experienced players who are bored will go into that forum and laydown a well thought out, reason backed, expectation of a player's potential vs another player's potential and everyone who reads it has a chance to benefit.

To say the forum is a cesspool or a waste land or whatever other insult you choose is simple ignorant of the fact that some people enjoy it and some experienced FF managers do in fact go in there and help people from time to time. All you are doing is down playing their efforts with this thread and suggesting that they arn't awesome.

I would like to say thank you to those people who take the moment to really analyze people's tough decisions and give their feedback.

All that aside... If the forum wasn't seperate it would be much harder to keep discussions going on a thread where WDIS threads fill the first page in a matter of minutes on saturday and sunday.

The forum used to be a great resource as you knew the different posters credibility. I slowly stopped posting there. Too many idiots on there, the advise is thoughtless and too many stupid questions. I HATE the "rate my team" posts as I could care less how good your team is. I have made the effort to answer a few posts until one ofthe newbies sent me a PM telling me how I screwed his week because Randy Moss didn't have a blow up game. I'm done. Besides, I can get the info I need each week from the Huddle, this forum and actual football knowledge. :wacko: