[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

taking my level 1 somm test in vegas

Bier Meister

congrats... so does this mean I should trust you or twiley more in selecting the wine in Vegas... I mean, after all twiley did call out the waiter last time for bringing the wrong bottle.

I believe tom wanted to get me blind on that bottle, so I never saw it. However, that was very vigilant of tom.

I believe tom wanted to get me blind on that bottle, so I never saw it. However, that was very vigilant of tom.

Either way I was glad to be included. My noble palette sure did enjoy the hints of mulderberry and peat that accompanied the slight overtones of aged oak.

I was tired of drinkin' all that old crap, only the freshest for us. They didn't realize they were dealing with sophisticated people. :wacko:

(paraphrased a line from a great movie)

so..... my friend and i went out there for 4 nights. the course was last 2 days with the test being administered at the end of day 2. we were pretty mellow the first couple of nights with the intention of going big to celebrate after passing. instead we decided to do hit and runs at resorts with restaurants that interested us. as we are both hockey fans (he used to play very competitively in canada with several current players), we found ourselves in front of tv's a bit. we stayed at the MGM and really liked the happy our at seablue (michael mina) and ended up there a couple oftimes. good calamari, oysters, shrimp, $15 pitchers of sangira. a couple of years ago our huddle group did a meal there with mixed results. iirc those who ordered steak over seafood were more satisfied. got chattty with the manager. she told us about a place off of the strip where her boyfriend worked- ferraro's. very good italian wine offerings (and could order half glasses, etc). i believe we went with some porcini risotto balls with truffled cream sauce, a cheese plate, and pizzetta. great experience.

also grabbed some apps and wine at nob hill (michael mina). Food was definitely a step up and i had one of the most luch pinot's i've ever had.

tried a place called fiamma. had a wonderful truffled gnocchi and more italians. we were sitting at this bar when the news on obama broke. a lady next to us lost a son in iraq and was texted before the networks were reporting.

we found a place called the pub in the monte carlo to watch some hocky..... very large bier list (but overpriced). i intially thought this might be a good spot for us at wcoff this year, but i don't think they have enough tv's.

we hit morels in the bellagio (a place several of us got a late night meal last year). very quiet time of day so we got chatty withe bartenders. turns out one worked in vail for about 6 years and the other had a brother who rode road bikes with my friend in michigan. very good wine list...they let us taste a lot of them grtis..... charcuterie and cheese plates.

hit mandaly baythe day we left..... fleur (hubert keller), fun french wines and orders some flambee's (flat breads). rm seafooed...... gruner veltliner and some sashimi. border grill (mary sue milikin)..... got 4 types of tacos and $5 margs. all super.

forgot to mention.... one of those evenings we hit a place we had seen on bourdain's show- frank's tiki bar. dark little place but great drinks

so..... my friend and i went out there for 4 nights. the course was last 2 days with the test being administered at the end of day 2. we were pretty mellow the first couple of nights with the intention of going big to celebrate after passing. instead we decided to do hit and runs at resorts with restaurants that interested us. as we are both hockey fans (he used to play very competitively in canada with several current players), we found ourselves in front of tv's a bit. we stayed at the MGM and really liked the happy our at seablue (michael mina) and ended up there a couple oftimes. good calamari, oysters, shrimp, $15 pitchers of sangira. a couple of years ago our huddle group did a meal there with mixed results. iirc those who ordered steak over seafood were more satisfied. got chattty with the manager. she told us about a place off of the strip where her boyfriend worked- ferraro's. very good italian wine offerings (and could order half glasses, etc). i believe we went with some porcini risotto balls with truffled cream sauce, a cheese plate, and pizzetta. great experience.

also grabbed some apps and wine at nob hill (michael mina). Food was definitely a step up and i had one of the most luch pinot's i've ever had.

tried a place called fiamma. had a wonderful truffled gnocchi and more italians. we were sitting at this bar when the news on obama broke. a lady next to us lost a son in iraq and was texted before the networks were reporting.

we found a place called the pub in the monte carlo to watch some hocky..... very large bier list (but overpriced). i intially thought this might be a good spot for us at wcoff this year, but i don't think they have enough tv's.

we hit morels in the bellagio (a place several of us got a late night meal last year). very quiet time of day so we got chatty withe bartenders. turns out one worked in vail for about 6 years and the other had a brother who rode road bikes with my friend in michigan. very good wine list...they let us taste a lot of them grtis..... charcuterie and cheese plates.

hit mandaly baythe day we left..... fleur (hubert keller), fun french wines and orders some flambee's (flat breads). rm seafooed...... gruner veltliner and some sashimi. border grill (mary sue milikin)..... got 4 types of tacos and $5 margs. all super.

forgot to mention.... one of those evenings we hit a place we had seen on bourdain's show- frank's tiki bar. dark little place but great drinks

Sounds awesome, I'm in need of a vacation like that...big time.

Big fan of gruner too. I consider it a sleeper.

Congrats but I'm not impressed until you pass the next level. After all, if you can't tell TJ Swan from Arbor Mist, what good are you?

:wacko:

Seriously I haven't read all this but how much taste-testing was there? Not meaning to disregard all the memorization/etc you have to do at all, but to me the knowing by taste is the true test of someone who really knows wine.

Congrats but I'm not impressed until you pass the next level. After all, if you can't tell TJ Swan from Arbor Mist, what good are you?

:wacko:

Seriously I haven't read all this but how much taste-testing was there? Not meaning to disregard all the memorization/etc you have to do at all, but to me the knowing by taste is the true test of someone who really knows wine.

1st level was all multiple choice. 2nd level is a combo of service, multiple choice, and 4 blind tastings. i intend to take that in about a year.