[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Greg Schiano vs. Tom Coughlin in Week 2

electricrelish

When I first read this story about Tom Coughlin giving Greg Schiano an earful after the game for instructing the Bucs defense to go for the ball on the final kneel down by the Giants to run out the clock, I was on Coughlin's side. It seemed like a cheap shot by the losing team. Coughlin's complaints were that he thought the Bucs were trying to injure his QB.

"I don't think you do that at this level," Coughlin said after the game. "You don't do that in this league. You don't jeopardize the offensive line, you (don't) jeopardize the quarterback. Thank goodness we didn't get anybody hurt, that I know of, a couple of linemen were late coming in (after end of game)."

Giants defensive captain Justin Tuck said there is no protocol for that type of play.

"It won't be forgotten," he said.

I didn't see the game, so I checked the final score, which was 41-34. After further thought, I think Coughlin may have been wrong about this one. If there is still a chance to win the game or tie it, then Schiano was right to instruct his defense to go after the ball. If for some reason they knocked it loose, then they could have run back a TD, and an extra point would have tied it.

Yes, it's highly unlikely that scenario would unfold, but a lot of unlikely things have happened in the past. Now if the game was completely, out of reach, then I would agree that it was a cheap shot.

I'm surprised that this topic hasn't been brought up already in The Huddle forums. Maybe it's just obvious that Coughlin was wrong.

http://www.cbsnews.c...h-tom-coughlin/

Edited by electricrelish

Having been old enough to see the Miracle at the Meadowlands in 1978, I would have liked to have heard Herm Edwards' take on this.

That being said, as long as Schiano doesn't mind the next offensive team kicking a field goal or going for it on the TB one yard line as time expires to add a few extra points, I don't have a problem with him continuing play trying to score his points.

I'd like to side with Schiano but can't. Sure, you play to the end of the game but what's the probability of causing and recovering a fumble on a kneel-down? Has to be vanishingly small.

Given that, it just comes across as a dick maneuver. When the offensive lineman retaliate by going at the knees, we'll see how long this goes on for. Giants won that game with a more sustained superior effort than the Bucs - gotta know when to fold 'em.

Game was at least theoretically still in play with a turnover, is it a bit of a dick move...sure? Is it completely legal? Absolutely.

Should he be criticized for it? Hell to the no.

It's a man's game. If you don't like someone playing to the final whistle go coach the WNBA. (yeah I said it)

• Like 1

To answer this question I simply asked myself if Coughlin would have done the same if the roles were reversed.....I think he would have. I also think he's the type of coach that would have stood at that podium and defended his actions about playing to the last whistle and all.

Now, I've never liked the guy as he reminds me of an anrgy little red faced troll whenever something doesn't go his way, but with all bias aside, I see him telling his players to do exactly Schiano did. I hope Coughlin finds himself in the same poisition at some point this year so he can show us just how easy it is to surrender with time still on the clock.

Marino faked a spike and scored a TD, and I think the game was tied at the time.

Nothing wrong with what TB did, and there's nothing wrong with how Coughlin reacted. If he didn't like it, he had a right to give an earful.

Both sides are right.

There is protocol here though. When teams line up in victory formation, the game is over.

He faked a spike to kill the clock.

Yea that's right. After reading about this, I don't see a problem with defenders playing full speed against the offensive line. I just don't think that they should be crashing ino a qb when he's kneeling down, which sounded like is not the case here. That woul be just as bad as knocking a player over after calling a fair catch.

To answer this question I simply asked myself if Coughlin would have done the same if the roles were reversed.....I think he would have. I also think he's the type of coach that would have stood at that podium and defended his actions about playing to the last whistle and all.

Now, I've never liked the guy as he reminds me of an anrgy little red faced troll whenever something doesn't go his way, but with all bias aside, I see him telling his players to do exactly Schiano did. I hope Coughlin finds himself in the same poisition at some point this year so he can show us just how easy it is to surrender with time still on the clock.

Couldn't agree more. As soon as I saw him flapping his gums to Schiano, I thought to myself that he would have done the exact same thing and then said in the post game press conference that this is a man's game and you need to put on your big boy pants to play.

The problem is that Schiano basically said that they will play hard every play. If you saw the game, the last play of the first half was a kneel down by Giants. Tampa didn't rush. So what is it? Do you play hard every play or not? Personally, the "Unwritten rule" is that you don't bum rush a team in victory formation. I think its a little gentlemenly sportsmanship in a rough game and Sciano's call was a pretty cheap move. But if you are having trouble deciding who to side with, I'd probably side with a well established and respected 2 time superbowl coach who has been around the block and back before a rookie head coach in his 2nd game who is used to going up against South Florida.

I'm sure coughlins teams have faced other teams doing a kneel down play many many times in his career. He's never done anything like tb did.

Like a poster above said, there is an agreement that you don't do it. It was bush move and all that's going to happen is somebody will eventually get hurt.

Clearly I'm biased but C'MON MAN! This is football. Tackle football played with pads and a helmet. If you don't want to get hit or knocked down then get off the field. If Manning botched the snap (which has happened with other QB's) and the Bucs ran it back for a TD, everyone would be talking about how amazing Schiano's call was. Instead, some people are worried about players getting hurt. Again, pads and helmet people...

The more important thing I saw was a team that is not going to quit and actually listened to their coach instead of ignoring him (like last season). Schiano is a tough coach thst wants his players to play from whistle to whistle. While at the U, he coached players such as Dan Morgan, Jon Vilma (this should get people going), and Ed Reed. There was nothing not tough about those D's. I don't think South Florida had a football team at that point but yes, I get the Big East joke that you're trying to make.

Edited by Jolly Rodgers