[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Adrian Peterson indicted for child abuse

loaf

I'm not holding him up as a shining example. I am comparing him to those chicken-shirt bastards that run away and never know their kids. Who is the worse individual? Who is truly worthy of our wrath? I am just asking.

Sometimes the best course would be to flee rather than be around a kid you despise or do not care for at all. You never know if someone else could step in and be a better father/mother than the one that conceived them. That's why a lot of states set up laws where mother's who didn't want their new born kids could just drop them off at a fire station, or hospital no questions asked. just because an individual has the ability to parent a child, doesn't necessarily mean they should be able to parent a child.

How do you know he's in their lives?

How do any of us really know anything here? We all stand in judgement as if we were in the room, ready to dissect this man.

I was switched on a couple of occasions as a child. Once really bad. My dad was trying to teach me responsibility. Him telling me to keep up with my things and not lose them did not really get to me. When I lost the new ball glove he had just bought me - there was retribution. It was awful. One of the worst moments of my life. But also one of the most important.

Many years later my dad later told me that he hated himself for doing that to me. I told him I was thankful for every ass-busting he ever gave me. Because I have no idea what kind of an irresponsible jerwkad I would have turned out without his stern guidance.

He raised 3 children, none of us are in jail. None of us are in therapy. We are all in committed relaitionships with families.

I managed to raise my son without resorting to the heavy handed tactics me and my hard-headed brother were on the receiving end of, But then I got lucky, and my son wasn't quite the case I was. Different situation. Different time.

Yeah, society has changed since we were kids, but these athletes are somewhat sheltered from normal society. We can agree on that surely.

I am not trying to defend what he did. It was wrong. I was not 4 years old when I was switched. I was old enough to know better. Big difference in my eyes to be sure. The guy made a big mistake. But I think we might be making just as big a mistake if we throw him on society's scrap-pile. Seems to have already happened.

• Like 1

What nobody seems interested in hearing are all of the good stories about AP. This dude has done alot for his community. He is respectful, polite, and very generous. This is a good guy that has made some bad decisions that he regrets. He isn't a monster. EVERYONE here has a skeleton in their closet. Nobody is perfect and everyone makes mistakes. All of you people standing upon the mountain top of morale authority might want to take a very close look at yourself in the mirror and think about how many dumb mistakes you have made in your life.

Even worse are all these talking heads that are putting on some kind of pomous self rightious display. Half of them were arrested themselves when they played in the NFL.

Ray Loius after the game lastnight had the balls to talk about how AP's children will be scarred for life. This coming from the same guy that was involved in a double homicide.

Mike Irving has been talking about how upsetting this situation is. This is the same guy that was arrested for possesion of cocaine MULTIPLE times correct?

It just goes on and on and on with all these hypocrites.

Now the Gov of Minn has gotten involved. Do you really believe he did so because of some morale compass? He got invloved because one of his aids pointed out how much of a golden opportunity this was for him to gain votes. Count on it.

AP isn't the sharpest tool in the box perhaps. He went too far here and he clearly needs a mentor. But he isn't the monster that this torch and pitchfork carrying, reality TV craving couintry is making him out to be.

Edited by Alphashado
  • Like 1

Just out of curiosity, does everyone here agree that AD should receive the standard 6 game suspension given the circumstances? If not, do you think he should get more? If you're for the 6 games, how would you feel if he was suspended for an entire season?

Just out of curiosity, does everyone here agree that AD should receive the standard 6 game suspension given the circumstances? If not, do you think he should get more? If you're for the 6 games, how would you feel if he was suspended for an entire season?

Yes, just as soon as the commissioner gives himself a suspension for the Ray Rice scandal.

Felt it coming. More news about other tough love parenting coming out, AHBush coming out expressing their displeasure (they're rumored to give the league like $1.2B a year), senators asking for suspension, etc. At least he and Ray Rice can now train together.

Edited by Shorttynaz

Yes. I think that's exactly what should happen. I also think that the games that the Vikes are suspending him should count towards the 6. No way should he get a whole season. As I have said before in this thread, most localities don't have the resources to press charges in cases like this, but then, how many chance does some dick lawyer get to take down a future NFL Hall of Famer?

Instead of letting this thing be such a circus, the NFL just needs to stick to policy and then move the hell on.

There is a distinct difference between a parent using corporal punishment and a parent abusing a child. I have not been addressing whether or not AP crossed that line or not and have refrained from looking at the pictures and reading any articles. Largely because I don't believe the media is interested in presenting in an objective manner ... the media is all about being first and sensationalism, facts are irrelevant. Additionally I think it is a shame when anybody is tried and convicted in the court of public opinion based on the snippets the media chooses to share with us (that may or may not even be true). I am reserving my judgement and will let this play out in the legal system where people will have more access to the true facts in the case - even though I cannot imagine that I would have switched my 4 year old enough to result in visible marks. I always hated using corporal punishment and was always afraid that I would inadvertently hurt my child (I am a big man that often doesn't know my own strength) - but I did use it when I felt it was appropriate, but NEVER in anger (if I had to guess AP was angry when he was switching his boy).

I have been addressing the concept of parents using corporal punishment. And people are intentionally using inflammatory language in this discussion ... even heard one of the media say Peterson beat his child with a tree branch.

I'm curious, were you willing to (and did you) let the Ray Rice issue play out in the legal system? And then based on his punishment by the courts did you assume he hadn't really done anything wrong, no big deal? What about after the elevator video was released, did you change your view of what he did, and if it was wrong or not?

My basic point is letting the legal case play out and then saying he is bad or not based on that can be as flawed as reading the news stories and making up your mind from those facts.

The pictures of the boys body are clear evidence of abuse. Did AP mean to do that, I don't know. But he sure did it, and seems proud of it and would do it again. He was beat (not spanked) as a child, so in his eyes that makes it right. (Many who are abused become abusers themselves, and he may have taught his 4 year old that abuse is ok.)

You seem to want to only address corporal punishment and if it is right or wrong. While completely not touching the "did AP abuse his child" part of the discussion. I won't say it is wrong, but there has to be a line. A spanking is one thing, a beating is another. AP crossed the line.

I agree with not letting him be convicted in the court of public opinion. But I see these actions (repeated hitting, breaking skin, bleeding and leaving scars on a 4 year old child) as clear evidence of abuse. And IMHO worse than Rice striking his fiance (once, while they were both hondafaced, and she also took a swing at him).

• Like 3

6 game suspension would seem reasonable and justified by the new policies they have put in place.

I think a season long suspension or life time ban is going overboard.

I also think the Vikings messed up by first deactivating him, then reactivating and then suspending him using the special commissioner's list.

6 game suspension would seem reasonable and justified by the new policies they have put in place.

I think a season long suspension or life time ban is going overboard.

I also think the Vikings messed up by first deactivating him, then reactivating and then suspending him using the special commissioner's list.

What happens when pandering to media mobs. Have to really appreciate the 49ers approach on McDonald which is kind of ironic considering its a California team. Notice how they are barely mentioned though as Rice, AP, and Hardy continue to get all the attention.

Again, society need to stop looking to the NFL for justice. If he did something wrong it is the responsibility of the courts to determine guilt and punish. If that is determined then he is subject to the rules already established for the league. Hate the players, don't watch the game, call them a piece of honda or whatever...but get your feeling of vindication somewhere else. I do not want the NFL presiding over the societal woes of the country. Christ knows our bloody government can't even get that right and yet somehow we're expecting a corporation to figure it out. All I want from them is to put a bunch of skilled people on the field to play a game and provide me entertainment. PERIOD.

• Like 2

The Vikings went from suspending Adrian Peterson for a game, to welcoming him back and "letting the process work itself out" back to suspending him from team activities. Why? The same reason any other business would do the same. The bottom line. Once the $$$$ sponsors started voicing their opinions, the Vikings shifted theirs, and like it or not, Peterson got the shaft.

I highly doubt he ever plays another down for them. You gonna market this guy going forward as the face of the franchise? I don't care what he does "for the kids" ... he did this to his kid, and that's all that will be remembered. Is that sad? Maybe....but if you're a serial killer volunteering at the soup kitchen, no one really cares how many meals you served.

Folks, it's a different time. You can talk all about how you were whipped (I was, I am fine now, l remember it, life went on, I wasn't mentally scarred for life from it), how you whipped your now grown kids, but I bet you don't brag about how you whip your little ones nowadays, even before this all happened. Doctors have been taught to report things. You will be questioned seriously _at the minimum_. Life in these United States is different. Blame it on a number of factors, we are more gentrified and sensitive as a society than ever before, and I don't see that going in reverse.

I could share my personal philosophy on the matter, but it doesn't matter which way it leans. Society as a whole has made up their mind, and the mindset is, whip your kids with a stick bad enough to leave welts open a week later, have that kid be examined by a doctor who reports it, and you're screwed. It's that simple. Adrian Peterson is screwed as far as playing football in the NFL is concerned. He has been charged with a crime. He now is stigmatized and his employer is faced with a dilemma, which usually ends in the easiest way out. He may spend time in jail. At the least his case will have to be defended. When you get to that point, you're already guilty. Only OJ knows if he really did it. No one cares. You can stick your head in the sand, plug your ears and cover your eyes, but it's the truth. I'm sorry to break it to you all who are in denial that your self perceived "way it should be" isn't shared by the majority of the citizens or, more accurately, the consumers, anymore.

When you have a question about whether something is "OK" in today's life, just try to imagine if it effects the employer's bottom line. Adrian Peterson did some damage to his son's bottom, it affected his employer's bottom line, and he's going to soon be in exile on the unemployment line. That's the sad truth. Perception is reality has never been truer than it is now, and beancounters make the rules.

Edited by WildTurkey

There is a direct correlation between the increasing rights and influence of women and the decay of the economy and societal values. Causation? Thread derail time.

This thread was off the rails before the end of the first page! :lol:

But yeah...feminism has sought the destruction of the American family for a while now.