[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Percy Harvin to the JETS for a draft pick

keggerz

Wow, that's pretty big. Isn't he the super talented but cannot stay healthy playmaker for the Seahawks.

First SEA trades picks to MIN for him now NYJ trade picks to SEA.

I see he's currently listed (by SEA) as questionable for Sunday ahd hasn't practiced this week.

Seems like the perfect time to point out that we touched on trading in the NFL with former Broncos GM Ted Sundquist on the Blitzed Podcast this week.

Ted said the reason more trades don't happen is due to contracts...I honestly didn't think that'd be the reason and thought it had more to do with learning a playbook. With that said, Percy's contract, if I remember correctly, ain't cheap.

Harvin's contract details via Rotoworld:

3/12/2013: Signed a six-year, $67 million contract. The deal contains $25.5 million guaranteed -- a $12 million signing bonus and Harvin's first- and second-year base salaries. 2014: $11 million, 2015: $10.5 million, 2016: $9.9 million, 2017: $9.95 million, 2018: $11.15 million, 2019: Free Agent

Edit: Reported to be a mid-round pick

Edited by keggerz

My first thought is that the Seahawks are realizing that Percy is more of a cancer than he is anything else, and they decided to get something for him while they can (and before his next injury, which is bound to happen sooner than later). It does leave their group of WR's pretty weak, at least on paper. On the other hand, I think Baldwin, Kearse, and Lockette are all better than people give them credit for. Similar to the Patriots, when they were winning rings. Lunch-pail guys who will get the job done, without the drama that Harvin brings. Certainly no stud in the group, but Harvin wasn't doing all that much for them (this year so far), anyway.

I could be way off, but that's my first/best guess. They (SEA) also saves a bunch of $$ (not this year, but next) by getting rid of Mr. Migrane.

As for Harvin, I'm not sure it hurts his value all that much. Again, what has he done this year? His "best" plays were three TD's called back because of penalty. It can't hurt Decker's value (having Harvin line up opposite him is certainly an upgrade over Kerley, no?). And, it certainly doesn't hurt the rest of the Jets offense (Geno, or the running game), either.

It's certainly interesting, and a surprise (came out of left field), but I don't think it's devastating blow to anybody's fantasy team. If you were relying on Harvin to produce, you've already been relatively disappointed. A change of scenery/scheme might do him some good.

Edit: Don't get me wrong... I'm certainly surprised. Harvin can make big plays, no doubt about it. Just trying to make some sense of it, and that's all I can come up with. :lol:

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

They are just now starting to talk about this on Seattle sports radio. I haven't had the chance to listen in yet but will soon as I leave work to ferry my kids to their piano and guitar lessons.

My first reaction was WTF? My second reaction is that this it's due to an attitude problem. Carroll has always been quick to release/part ways with me-first players who are not buying into the system. I can only think at this point that that's exactly what has happened here. Maybe the reports saying Percy checked out of last week's game were accurate after all?

Edited by Tripleshot

My first thought is that the Seahawks are realizing that Percy is more of a cancer than he is anything else, and they decided to get something for him while they can (and before his next injury, which is bound to happen sooner than later). It does leave their group of WR's pretty weak, at least on paper. On the other hand, I think Baldwin, Kearse, and Lockette are all better than people give them credit for. Similar to the Patriots, when they were winning rings. Lunch-pail guys who will get the job done, without the drama that Harvin brings. Certainly no stud in the group, but Harvin wasn't doing all that much for them (this year so far), anyway.

I could be way off, but that's my first/best guess. They (SEA) also saves a bunch of $$ (not this year, but next) by getting rid of Mr. Migrane.

As for Harvin, I'm not sure it hurts his value all that much. Again, what has he done this year? His "best" plays were three TD's called back because of penalty. It can't hurt Decker's value (having Harvin line up opposite him is certainly an upgrade over Kerley, no?). And, it certainly doesn't hurt the rest of the Jets offense (Geno, or the running game), either.

It's certainly interesting, and a surprise (came out of left field), but I don't think it's devastating blow to anybody's fantasy team. If you were relying on Harvin to produce, you've already been relatively disappointed. A change of scenery/scheme might do him some good.

Meant to say that in my post. Exactly what i was thinking.

And, maybe "cancer" is too strong of a word. I'm not saying that he's a bad person. But, I do think he comes with more than his share of drama, and I'm not entirely convinced that he's not more into Percy, than he is into the team winning. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got when he was in MIN, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's still the case.

Is Baldwin Worth a look? Say, if you were to drop someone of Kendall Wright value

If anyone is going to get a nice bump in fantasy value from this it will be Lynch first, and then perhaps Paul Richardson. We all know what Baldwin is and he's not going to morph into a WR1, but if anyone on that roster is it could well be Richardson as he has the pedigree.

And, maybe "cancer" is too strong of a word. I'm not saying that he's a bad person. But, I do think he comes with more than his share of drama, and I'm not entirely convinced that he's not more into Percy, than he is into the team winning. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I got when he was in MIN, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's still the case.

I don't think cancer is too strong of a word. It's really the only way this trade makes any kind of sense.

I don't think any SEA WR will suddenly leap into fantasy relevance. Again, it's not like Harvin was putting up WR1 numbers this year. Baldwin was already starting, no? So, maybe Kearse (and/or Lockette) sees more time. Or, maybe Richardson (but I think he's likely a year away, at least, from being a regular contributor).

I'm not sure it really changes much for anybody in SEA. Maybe bump each WR slightly (meaning they're still not worth a spot except in relatively deep leagues). I don't see anything else changing all that much, honestly.

I definitely see a bump in value for Baldwin and/or Kearse. The passing game will revert to last year where they actually throw the ball downfield instead of 10 bubble screens/hand-offs to Harvin. Granted we are talking maybe WR3 value (relative to not being valuable enough to roster).

Awesome how Harvin owners can't play him this week now since the Jets played last night. Probably a blessing actually...

How have in season trades worked out recently? Randy Moss? Trent Richardson? I'm guessing Harvin isn't going to be any more or less relevant in New York. Seems like Harvin has been more potential than production through his career.

• Like 1