[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

From 1-3 to 5-3 - Think this guy will end my 4 game win streak?

UniqueCopy

Through hard work, dedication, and a little luck, I've overcome my horrible draft and ascended from 9th to 2nd. This week's match-up is looking like it could go either way, and I figured it'd be fun to hear some predictions. I'm on the right.

Lastly, I want to remind everyone, don't give up!

http://i.imgur.com/YWaBrfz.png

Edited by UniqueCopy

Started 3-1, lost 4 straight (3 by 10 points or less), I'm close to giving up....

Don't give up man! These forums along with other public sources literally taught me everything I've learned. Last year was my first season, I was a complete noob. I got lucky with a great draft (Stafford, Charles, Bernard, Megatron, DT, Cinci D), didn't really use or understand the WW, and came in 3rd among my friends who have played for years. This year is the exact opposite, and I'm grateful for my poor drafting, since I've learned so much. It actually worked in my favor, as if I had known better I would have certainly drafted some of the guys who are no longer playing. Next year I plan on participating in mock drafts and preseason, and I now know what a depth chart is :)

If you had a bad draft, how did you end up with Luck, Gio, DT, and Cobb? Anyways, I think you have a good chance to win.

I say it was a bad draft because I could have made better picks. I'm not talking about hindsight, I knew right after that I made some serious mistakes. I was #10 of 10 teams, so technically I should have had two of the top eleven players in the league. This can be a great draft position, but you absolutely have to know what you're doing, because your next pick is #30 overall. Believe it or not, a couple of these mistakes were due to me drafting on my laptop at a buddy's house, with a track pad I'm not used to using.

Pick 1 (10th OA) - Demaryius Thomas

Pick 2 (11th OA) - Zac Stacy

Notes: I'm a Denver fan, and DT was incredible last year. For a few weeks I was worried this was a mistake, until after their bye. I drafted Stacy purely on his season last year, but I don't know enough about FF to separate the talent from the hype. I think we all thought he'd do well this year, but a big part of this choice was his name recognition, likely due to his 2013 mid-season breakout.

Still available were Foster, Bell, Murray, Green, Jones, Brown, Nelson and a few other studs. I should have picked up a pair of those stud RB's.

Pick 3 (30th OA) - Giovanni Bernard

Pick 4 (31st OA) - Randall Cobb

Notes: Bernard did very well for me last year, and I really enjoyed watching him play. I recognized the name of Randall Cobb, but knew nothing about him - not even that he was a receiver for Aaron Rodgers! Both of these picks were solid.

Still available were Gronk, Thomas, and Gates, as well as a bunch of WR's I didn't recognize.

Next year I'll likely be drafting a stud TE in the 4th. These guys have the possibility of outscoring RB's, so I think it's worth the pick once the clear RB studs are drafted. Both this year and last I've gone through TE hell, losing quite a few games if I'd just have had a couple more points. I'm averaging 4 per game in this position this year, and almost everyone has two on their roster. Not saying this is a solid plan for everyone, every league is different, it's just my plan for next year.

Pick 5 (50th OA) - Ben Tate

Pick 6 (51st OA) - Andrew Luck

Notes: I Didn't know a thing about Ben Tate, except that he was fragile and injured last season. ESPN said he was the best RB left, so I took a chance. Ended up dropping him for Kelvin Benjamin (great choice), then getting impatient and dropping him the following week for James Jones (poor choice). Luck was a total (lucky!) I meant to click on Moreno, accidentally selected Luck. I wasn't happy, at the time.

Pick 7 (70th OA) - Shane Vereen

Pick 8 (71st OA) - Nick Foles

Notes: Picks 7 and 8 were my biggest mistake. I had thought I had 30 seconds left while I was checking the status of someone, and the timer expired. When you run out of time and you're drafting last, it autodrafts TWICE for you. I don't much like NE, so I wouldn't have drafted Vereen. I was planning on drafting my *first* QB much later, and now I had 2 in the 8th round $#!@. Some advice going forward, never draft on a device you're unfamiliar with!

Still available were Patterson, Watkins, Brady, and Edelman.

I proposed a trade after Week 4, Foles for an injured Mark Ingram, after starting over Luck and losing because of it. After that I decided Luck was never going to be benched again. This seems to have been a great choice, both the trade and starting Luck. Vereen and the NE backfield situation was more stress than it was worth, so I dropped him in Week 5 for ODB. I traded

Pick 9 (90th OA) - Kendall Wright

Pick 10 (91st OA) - Mike Wallace

Notes: At this point I'm just going off of one of the ADP websites and ESPN's recommendations. I really, really lucked out with Mr. Reliable Mike Wallace. I hate questionable start/sit decisions, so flexing him weekly for 10 points made my life easier. I dropped Wright for Khiry Robinson after Week 2, which was a good move.

Things were getting messy around this point, but guys like Lamar Miller and Mark Ingram were still available. If I'd have known more about the game, the choice would have been pretty obvious.

Final Notes: In hindsight, I know it could have been much worse, but there were so many mistakes made that it clouded my opinion of my draft. That said, I wouldn't change a thing if I could, as I've learned far more this year than last. Education about the game, living on and knowing how to use the WW, seeking advice, and reading constantly are the keys to success in FF.

Damn, I didn't mean to type a book, but once I started I figured I'd bookmark this for use next season :D

Edited by UniqueCopy

Don't give up man! These forums along with other public sources literally taught me everything I've learned. Last year was my first season, I was a complete noob. I got lucky with a great draft (Stafford, Charles, Bernard, Megatron, DT, Cinci D), didn't really use or understand the WW, and came in 3rd among my friends who have played for years. This year is the exact opposite, and I'm grateful for my poor drafting, since I've learned so much. It actually worked in my favor, as if I had known better I would have certainly drafted some of the guys who are no longer playing. Next year I plan on participating in mock drafts and preseason, and I now know what a depth chart is :)

Thanks for trying to keep me positive. I've been playing about 20 years in the same league, have one it once and been second a bunch of times. I often just make or just miss the playoffs and don't get great draft picks.

Anyway I can recognize a struggling team when I see one. Horrible RBs, Calvin out for a long stretch, Demaryius with a slow start (while Calvin was playing) and Fitz being absent most of the season. Toss in mediocre play from TE, D & K, and a league with a very thin WW and its unlikely I can turn it around. I was going to make a trade for a RB to help, but 1 may not be enough and the asking price in 2015 draft picks was going to be too much for the small chance I can make the playoffs.

Just isn't as fun anymore.

I say it was a bad draft because I could have made better picks. I'm not talking about hindsight, I knew right after that I made some serious mistakes. I was #10 of 10 teams, so technically I should have had two of the top eleven players in the league. This can be a great draft position, but you absolutely have to know what you're doing, because your next pick is #30 overall. Believe it or not, a couple of these mistakes were due to me drafting on my laptop at a buddy's house, with a track pad I'm not used to using.

Pick 1 (10th OA) - Demaryius Thomas

Pick 2 (11th OA) - Zac Stacy

Notes: I'm a Denver fan, and DT was incredible last year. For a few weeks I was worried this was a mistake, until after their bye. I drafted Stacy purely on his season last year, but I don't know enough about FF to separate the talent from the hype. I think we all thought he'd do well this year, but a big part of this choice was his name recognition, likely due to his 2013 mid-season breakout.

Still available were Foster, Bell, Murray, Green, Jones, Brown, Nelson and a few other studs. I should have picked up a pair of those stud RB's.

Pick 3 (30th OA) - Giovanni Bernard

Pick 4 (31st OA) - Randall Cobb

Notes: Bernard did very well for me last year, and I really enjoyed watching him play. I recognized the name of Randall Cobb, but knew nothing about him - not even that he was a receiver for Aaron Rodgers! Both of these picks were solid.

Still available were Gronk, Thomas, and Gates, as well as a bunch of WR's I didn't recognize.

Next year I'll likely be drafting a stud TE in the 4th. These guys have the possibility of outscoring RB's, so I think it's worth the pick once the clear RB studs are drafted. Both this year and last I've gone through TE hell, losing quite a few games if I'd just have had a couple more points. I'm averaging 4 per game in this position this year, and almost everyone has two on their roster. Not saying this is a solid plan for everyone, every league is different, it's just my plan for next year.

Pick 5 (50th OA) - Ben Tate

Pick 6 (51st OA) - Andrew Luck

Notes: I Didn't know a thing about Ben Tate, except that he was fragile and injured last season. ESPN said he was the best RB left, so I took a chance. Ended up dropping him for Kelvin Benjamin (great choice), then getting impatient and dropping him the following week for James Jones (poor choice). Luck was a total (lucky!) I meant to click on Moreno, accidentally selected Luck. I wasn't happy, at the time.

Pick 7 (70th OA) - Shane Vereen

Pick 8 (71st OA) - Nick Foles

Notes: Picks 7 and 8 were my biggest mistake. I had thought I had 30 seconds left while I was checking the status of someone, and the timer expired. When you run out of time and you're drafting last, it autodrafts TWICE for you. I don't much like NE, so I wouldn't have drafted Vereen. I was planning on drafting my *first* QB much later, and now I had 2 in the 8th round $#!@. Some advice going forward, never draft on a device you're unfamiliar with!

Still available were Patterson, Watkins, Brady, and Edelman.

I proposed a trade after Week 4, Foles for an injured Mark Ingram, after starting over Luck and losing because of it. After that I decided Luck was never going to be benched again. This seems to have been a great choice, both the trade and starting Luck. Vereen and the NE backfield situation was more stress than it was worth, so I dropped him in Week 5 for ODB. I traded

Pick 9 (90th OA) - Kendall Wright

Pick 10 (91st OA) - Mike Wallace

Notes: At this point I'm just going off of one of the ADP websites and ESPN's recommendations. I really, really lucked out with Mr. Reliable Mike Wallace. I hate questionable start/sit decisions, so flexing him weekly for 10 points made my life easier. I dropped Wright for Khiry Robinson after Week 2, which was a good move.

Things were getting messy around this point, but guys like Lamar Miller and Mark Ingram were still available. If I'd have known more about the game, the choice would have been pretty obvious.

Final Notes: In hindsight, I know it could have been much worse, but there were so many mistakes made that it clouded my opinion of my draft. That said, I wouldn't change a thing if I could, as I've learned far more this year than last. Education about the game, living on and knowing how to use the WW, seeking advice, and reading constantly are the keys to success in FF.

Damn, I didn't mean to type a book, but once I started I figured I'd bookmark this for use next season :D

you are right, not the greatest draft but you ended up ok. That Stacy pick was brutal

I dont just think you are going to win, I think your going to crush the other teams soul and remove his will to live. He will be an impotent , weeping mess by the time you get done with him. You know why ? Because you didnt give up !!

• Like 1

I dont just think you are going to win, I think your going to crush the other teams soul and remove his will to live. He will be an impotent , weeping mess by the time you get done with him. You know why ? Because you didnt give up !!

I think we should all hold hands now

Horrible RBs, Calvin out for a long stretch, Demaryius with a slow start (while Calvin was playing) and Fitz being absent most of the season. Toss in mediocre play from TE, D & K, and a league with a very thin WW and its unlikely I can turn it around.

Just isn't as fun anymore.

Sounds like you and I have damn near the same team - and the same problems. I'm 3-5, on the bubble for a playoff spot - but I'm 2nd in overall points - only 11 points behind the leader. I've had the most points scored against me by 117 over the next closest team. Every f'ng week - I face the team who has a career game. Ish't's pissin me off man. Can't wait till Megatron is back so I can send Garcon's ass packing..
  • Like 1

Sounds like you and I have damn near the same team - and the same problems. I'm 3-5, on the bubble for a playoff spot - but I'm 2nd in overall points - only 11 points behind the leader. I've had the most points scored against me by 117 over the next closest team. Every f'ng week - I face the team who has a career game. Ish't's pissin me off man. Can't wait till Megatron is back so I can send Garcon's ass packing..

Not quite the same situation, I am last in my division, with an 0-3 division record and second lowest points (lowest is 1-7 and on a 2 year rebuild plan). Since div rec and total points are key tie breakers (after overall record) my chance of advancing to playoffs is very low. My recent losses have been largely because of 1-3 positions (including one or both RB) scoring 0-3 points. It is ugly,

Week 5 - Gerhart+CJ0K = 3 HeathMIller=4 Royal=4, lost by 8

Week 6 - JStew+CJ0K+HeathMiller = 1, lost by 8

Week 7 - lost by 30, DThomas has nearly half my 63 point score

Week 8 - Bryce Brown+Fleener+Royal = 3, lost by 3

I was showing another owner something today on CBS, they have a standings breakdown, basically an all play record. I would be 24-62-2 playing every team every week. Worst in the league, 5 fewer wins 1-7 team. My 3 wins are against the with a combined 6 wins. So I've had some luck to get to that 3-1 start, and now the smoke and mirrors aren't working.

I predict the team that scores the most points will win.

You know what, I think the team that scores the least amount of points will lose.

Thanks for the replies guys, this has been fun.

this guy will beat you if Bernard is less than healthy, if Crabtree has one of his decent games, and if Demariyus doesn't go off as per normal. Bad week to not have Cobb. I might put Baldwin or Beckham in the flex if Bernard is limited further in practice.

I hate FF projections, but I think you should be fine. I think Murray is going to have a tough time this week.

And I agree, depending on Bernard, I might put Beckham in the flex spot.

I sure hope so on that Murray comment!

I've been watching Gio's status around the clock. Jeremy Hill's owner just dropped him. I hate to do it, but I put in a WW request to drop Sims for him. I think Sims has more upside, but I also think Hill is a sure thing with Gio out.

Rather than just dropping Sims, I'm trying to work out a trade today, with the owner of both Rainey and Martin. I badly need an upgrade at TE, and he has Gates. My first proposal is Sims, Witten, and Forsett, which he said he'd check out and get back to me on. Think that's a fair trade? Though I think he has more upside, I'd probably give him McKinnon rather than Forsett, if he insisted.

If he takes it, I'll have a much needed TE, an open bench spot for Hill, and a free spot for the next flavor of the week (I'm by far the biggest WW hound). I think I'll be alright without Forsett, having Gio, Hill, McKinnon, and Ingram.

That's what I'm hoping.

I'm a little worried about my worst case scenario right now: He accepts the trade, Gio doesn't go, and someone vultures Hill off the wire (I'm #10 of 10 for priority).

Actually, nevermind. I'd move McKinnon to RB1 and flex ODB or Baldwin. Not ideal, but better than rushing to grab some scrub off the WW.

I appreciate that man. I was able to drop Sims for Hill, who will start at RB1 in place of Gio.

Now the big question, who to flex, Forsett or McKinnon??

You know..there's a whole other forum for that right?