[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Slow Cooked Babyback Ribs

Guest Cherni

I do a 3-1-1 method on the Egg.

remove membrane, of course.

I never boil--not sure if it's true, but I feel like I'm boiling away flavor. perception is reality.

I make my own rub and rub them down.

3 hours low, indirect heat. I vary the wood. hickory, maple, cherry, apple--depends on the mood.

1 hour indirect--wrapped in foil.

1 hour direct--the last 30-40 minutes, I'm putting on my sauce. I make a smoked onion bbq sauce that's nice.

I get my ribs from my local butcher.

I can give more details if needed. Since I started smoking the ribs this way, I don't order them in restaurants anymore. They are just that good.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

For me, I would never boil them. Just my personal preference. IMO, if you are going to do ribs correctly, take the time and do it right, which means slow cooking. Of course it all depends on your equipment.

It sounds like you are doing pretty good for using a gas grill. Some suggestions for the gas grill users:

1. Take a cookie sheet and fill with water. Place this on the grill rack closest to the heat source. Then put your ribs on the grill rack the farthest possible distance away from the heat source.

2. Get some wood chips/chunks. Soak them in water for several hours before you grill. Then take some heavy duty aluminum foil and break off a piece approximately 18" long. Put some wood chips in the middle and fold the foil up. Poke some holes at each end, then lay the foil DIRECTLY on your heat source. This will create the "smoke" you need to add to the flavor of the ribs. I HIGHLY recommend apple wood for this, though you can also use hickory or oak.

3. Sometimes we will do the 2/1/1 method of cooking babybacks. This means 2 hours on the grill/smoker, then wrap in foil for 1 hour, then unwrapped for the last hour. That one hour in the foil really keeps the moisture in. Then that last hour you add your BBQ sauce. I would NOT add sauce any sooner than that: most times the sugar in the sauce will burn on the ribs, which creates that charred crust on the outside of the ribs.

4. Arthur Bryant's is a good rub. You may want to grab some BBQ cookbooks from the bookstore and make your own rubs. You can really get some different and distinct flavors, plus it is a heck of a lot more fun to experiment with different spices and will help you understand what each flavor can do. Also, DO NOT apply your rub until about 20 minutes before grill time. The spices in rub tend to try out the meat if you try to marinate overnight with it, and you honestly do not really gain any penetration into the meat overnight. By rubbing it shortly before, the spices are more vibrant on the meat, IMO.

The thing about smoking and grilling is this: the journey is equally as rewarding as the destination.

Chief -

I followed this plan above (different rub brand) but did the 2/1/1 thing, pan of water, apple chips, etc. Fantastic outcome. I had the family over on Sunday and everyone loved the ribs. Falls off the bone and very juicy.

Great idea :D

i usually make a nice "mop" sauce to keep things moist. This can include vinigar, cider even dark beer with brown sugar. It all depends on the rub i use. Ill mop them every 1/2 hr or so. Sometimes ill cook the ribs 1/2 way, then put them in a foil tent, but not close it all the way so the smoke flavor gets in and the juices simmer to keep moist.

This is what I do or I'll just use a straight rub. I'll fire up the smoker and let them smoke at about 210 until about a 1/4" is pulled back from the bone...somewhere around 5 or 6 hours. After that I'll wrap them in foil and let them sit for about 10 mins.

Edited by twiley

This is what I do or I'll just use a straight rub. I'll fire up the smoker and let them smoke at about 210 until about a 1/4" is pulled back from the bone...somewhere around 5 or 6 hours. After that I'll wrap them in foil and let them sit for about 10 mins.

:drooling: what time is dinner again? :D

A couple weeks ago i made a Rack O' Lamb with a nice greek herb rub, then slow cooked it, mopped with a nice vodka/butter glaze. Yummy...

This might be too simple for some of the great ideas I've seen here, but my dad turned me on to an old stand-by: the crock pot. We cook the ribs on the grill for 15-20 minutes over medium heat, just to braise the outside. Cut the rack in half, season with your favorite spices, and let them simmer in a crock pot for 4-6 hours on low heat, with a bottle of Tomy Roma's sauce poured overtop.

Without a doubt, the juciest, tenderest, tastiest ribs this 38 year old has ever eaten.

***make sure to sppon the fat from the crockpot every hour or so, so the ribs do not become tenderized with their own fat. Let the sauce do the work!

Chief -

I followed this plan above (different rub brand) but did the 2/1/1 thing, pan of water, apple chips, etc. Fantastic outcome. I had the family over on Sunday and everyone loved the ribs. Falls off the bone and very juicy.

Great idea :D

I was there, they were excellent :D

yes.... bronx... go to Sammy's fish box or the Sea Shore..... some of the best baby back i've had.......

Mrs Nogo and me are headed to NYC for a few days next week (staying with her cousin in Tribeca). Bier, where are these places at? Always looking for somewhere interesting to eat.

• 3 weeks later...

I just gotta say: Tony Roma's is about the sorriest excuse for BBQ sauce there is. For those of you that use it, order some sauce from:

Gates BBQ

or

Arthur Bryants

Good stuff, and I guarantee an upgrade over anything you buy on the shelf, and way better than Tony Roma's.

Just placed an order for a combo pack from Gates. Original seasoning, original sauce and sweet & mild sauce. All for $13 (plus $10 shipping). Can't wait for the next grilling session in a week or so. :D

Mrs Nogo and me are headed to NYC for a few days next week (staying with her cousin in Tribeca). Bier, where are these places at? Always looking for somewhere interesting to eat.

ah shoot... sorry i missed this nogo. city island, bronx.

i know you'll be back in NY. both have hugh menus and fantastic seafood. do some type of combo where you at least try the ribs....

Boiling?!

Crock Pot!?

Starbucks for Gods sake!?!

Not to be a know it all but, well...yeah - I do know it all.

C'mon folks this is BBQ, y'know - Meat over fire. That's it. no more, no less.

For those of you on Gas, move on, technically that is not BBQ so I have nothing to say to you. Other than if you run out of Propane, you can finish your meal over my Zippo.

Here is a no brainer for anyone with a smoker and interest in smoking. Ribs Club, just Ribs.

1) Try Spare, they offer much better flavor if cooked correctly. Baby Backs are the Filet of pork. Nothing wrong with that, except everyone knows a Strip is more flavorful. Put a good rub on them. I home make mine, so can't advise on any store bought.

2) Never let the fire break 225 degrees, this is what dries out pork.

3) 4 hours on the fire. Don't touch them. Don't look at them. 4 hours.

4) Wrap them in Aluminum foil. One rack per wrap. then pour half of a beer UNDER the ribs. BTW, tent the foil, don't let it touch the top of your rack.

5) Back on the fire for two hours. Dont touch them. Dont look at them. 2 hours.

6) Pull them off carefully, as the beer will be HOT. I want no calls from any attorneys. Enjoy.

PS: mind there is no mention of Sauce. if you must offend your perfectly cooked meat by putting glorified ketchup on it, offer it on the side and take some pride in your ability to truly BBQ.

Any Crock-Potted Ribs recipes?

This might be too simple for some of the great ideas I've seen here, but my dad turned me on to an old stand-by: the crock pot. We cook the ribs on the grill for 15-20 minutes over medium heat, just to braise the outside. Cut the rack in half, season with your favorite spices, and let them simmer in a crock pot for 4-6 hours on low heat, with a bottle of Tomy Roma's sauce poured overtop.

Without a doubt, the juciest, tenderest, tastiest ribs this 38 year old has ever eaten.

***make sure to sppon the fat from the crockpot every hour or so, so the ribs do not become tenderized with their own fat. Let the sauce do the work!

just put'em right in the pot with a bottle of sauce? too simple...

My wife has done this in the middle of winter. They taste pretty darn good. Granted you will not get the smoky flavor (unless you sneak in a little smoke spice :D ), but very tasty.

I would rather have a crock pot rib than no rib at all.

The Gates original rub is on three racks as I type this. In about 3 1/2 hours, I'll add the Gates sauce. I'm a little giddy in anticipation.

Just let me know what time and I'll be there but 8pm is a little late for Dinner.

Edited by chiefjay

Hope you like 'em. Let us know how they went. (as chief dick feels pressure for recommending the Gates sauce and rub)

:D Vveerryy Tasty. Mrs. Puddy commented how much she liked the flavor more than last time (although I liked those too).

• 7 months later...

Since it's getting close to single digits outside now, I'll be doing my ribs in the oven for the next 3 or 4 months. Preatty easy really. This is a fatherless maleized version of an Alton Brown show.

I use a dry rub which is usually brown sugar, kosher salt, chili powder, pepper, cayenne pepper, thyme and onion powder. Prepare the ribs and apply the rub. Wrap in heavy foil and put in the refrig for an hour or so.

Open the foil wrap and add some liquid. Approximaley 1 cup. I use a mixture of wine, apple cider vinegar, worcestshire sauce, honey and minced garlic. But, I've used beer and a combination of other liquids as well.

Pop in the oven at 250 for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours. I then take them out of the foil, brush with the leftover liquid, (or apply other sauce) and finish under the broiler just until they get a little glaze.

Very good ribs, with not much work. Also, I don't even think that I could control the temperature on my smoker or grill outside right now enough to cook ribs right.

I've made my ribs close to this method the last two times. My variation is that I place one rack per pan, add one beer, cover pan with foil (or lid if available). Cook for the recommended time above and then finish on the barbie after adding desired barbeque sauce. IMO they come out better than when I cook them strictly on the barbie using Chief Dick's approach (which was still damn good). They are absolutely fantastic cooked this way. The retain their juices and fall off the bone.

Edited by Puddy