[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rumor......Favre considering comeback

Hat Trick

At least with all this Favre news, no one noticed that Johnny Jolly got arrested for possession of 200g of codeine. :D

:wacko:

That's half a pound. :D I sure hope Harrell is ready this season.

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This may be a homer response from my behalf, but I think if he were going to play for any team in the NFC North other than the Pack, it would be the Vikings. We are closer to being a SB team than Det and Chicago by quite a bit. Also, I don't think Chicago has the cap to get him, but I am not positive on that.

I'm not sure they have the cap room either.

This talk of Favre to Chicago is absolutely ridiculous. He is not going to want to come out of retirement to throw passes to Marty Booker and Brandon Lloyd, and hand off to Matt Forte. Not a chance in hell. :wacko::D:D

And he didn't like that cold and horribly windy day at Soldier Field late last season either.

Interesting ESPN article...

The World Series of Poker isn't being played in Las Vegas. It's being played in Green Bay, Wis., and Hattiesburg, Miss. And so far, a very amateurish Ted Thompson is trying to show strength in his hand.

Feel free to laugh the next time Green Bay Packers management, both past and present, starts talking about "preserving" Brett Favre's legacy and cherishing Favre's place in the team's "family." It means nothing.

The Packers are about the Packers, and that's fine, even expected, but at least say so from the beginning. Don't pretend you're genuinely concerned about Favre's standing in franchise lore when, in reality, you're more concerned about damage and image control.

Favre wants to unretire. And yeah, it's a bit of a diva-ish thing to do. Tears in March. Text messages in July.

But Favre has earned his share of diva currency, enough for one Get Out Of Retirement card. He's played hurt. He's played with his heart heavy with grief. And he's played for the moment, not the money. There are bits and pieces of his body all over Lambeau Field.

Thompson, the Packers' general manager, doesn't see it that way. His solution -- and remember, the Packers are the self-appointed guardians of Favre's football reputation -- is to announce that one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history, the guy only seven months removed from the NFC Championship Game, can return but may be a second-stringer. Think about it: Favre wearing a baseball cap and holding a clipboard.

Some legacy.

Packers management wants it both ways. It says it wants to protect Favre from himself, but mostly it wants to protect Favre from becoming a free agent, signing with the Minnesota Vikings and possibly kicking the Packers' butts twice in the regular season. That's the reason behind not granting Favre his release -- nothing else.

Management says the "finality" of Favre's retirement prompted the Packers to "move forward with our football team.'' But how can you move forward if Favre is still on the depth chart? If you don't want him as your starter, which is beyond astounding, then why want him at all?

Thompson has mixed a football Molotov cocktail. A short pour of Favre. A long pour of Aaron Rodgers. Topped off by Packers teammates and fans torn by their allegiances. Now light and throw.

Favre could make it easy on Thompson by staying retired. Of course, that's what Thompson is counting on: The great Brett Favre would never come back here as a backup. He wants Favre to fold.

But I'd love to see Favre report to Packers training camp later this month. I'd love to see the beads of sweat form on Thompson's forehead as he realizes he miscalculated the situation. Again.

If Favre shows up, Thompson has created an instant quarterback controversy. And by doing so, he has created the beginnings of a divided locker room. You don't think there are going to be pro-Favre guys vs. pro-Rodgers guys on that roster? You don't think the Lambeau crowd will start chanting No. 4's name the first time Rodgers struggles (and he will -- zero starts, 35 completions and one touchdown throw in three seasons)? You don't think Rodgers, Thompson's very first pick as GM in 2005, will be looking over his shoulder pads every time he makes a mistake?

Favre isn't blameless in this mess. He miscalculated, too. And for that, some Packers followers now consider him a whiner, not worth the trouble. Let's hear what they say if Rodgers bombs.

Thompson doesn't really want Favre back, unless it's for ribbon-cutting ceremonies or 20-year anniversaries. He wants the Rodgers Era to begin as soon as possible, preferably with Favre watching from his living room in Mississippi.

But sometimes you make exceptions for the exceptional. Favre has his faults, beginning with his penchant for changing his mind, but he still gives the Packers the best chance to win. Somehow that's been lost in the chaos. If Thompson wants to honor Favre's legacy, then grant him his release. If he signs with the Vikings and beats you, then that's how it goes. After all, Thompson had first crack at him as the Packers' starter.

Or if Favre truly wants to make this an amicable farewell, then he should tell the Packers he won't sign with an NFC North team. The wink-wink understanding might not be officially allowed by the league, but who has to know, right? The more likely scenario: The Packers could manipulate the trade process by making the price reasonable for, say, AFC teams, but cost-prohibitive for teams such as the division rival Vikings, Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions, or even 2008 NFC opponents Tampa Bay (Sept. 28 road game) and Carolina (Nov. 30 game at Lambeau) -- both rumored landing spots for Favre.

The whole situation is messier than eating barbecue ribs with your knuckles. And it could only get worse.

In the end, Thompson and the Packers are the ones jumping off the cliff without the bungee cord securely attached. They're betting everything on Rodgers' potential and Favre's sense of pride.

I'll bet on Favre. Lesser cards, better player.

The World Series of Poker isn't being played in Las Vegas. It's being played in Green Bay, Wis., and Hattiesburg, Miss. And so far, a very amateurish Ted Thompson is trying to show strength in his hand.

Feel free to laugh the next time Green Bay Packers management, both past and present, starts talking about "preserving" Brett Favre's legacy and cherishing Favre's place in the team's "family." It means nothing.

The Packers are about the Packers, and that's fine, even expected, but at least say so from the beginning. Don't pretend you're genuinely concerned about Favre's standing in franchise lore when, in reality, you're more concerned about damage and image control.

Favre wants to unretire. And yeah, it's a bit of a diva-ish thing to do. Tears in March. Text messages in July.

But Favre has earned his share of diva currency, enough for one Get Out Of Retirement card. He's played hurt. He's played with his heart heavy with grief. And he's played for the moment, not the money. There are bits and pieces of his body all over Lambeau Field.

Thompson, the Packers' general manager, doesn't see it that way. His solution -- and remember, the Packers are the self-appointed guardians of Favre's football reputation -- is to announce that one of the greatest quarterbacks in NFL history, the guy only seven months removed from the NFC Championship Game, can return but may be a second-stringer. Think about it: Favre wearing a baseball cap and holding a clipboard.

Some legacy.

Packers management wants it both ways. It says it wants to protect Favre from himself, but mostly it wants to protect Favre from becoming a free agent, signing with the Minnesota Vikings and possibly kicking the Packers' butts twice in the regular season. That's the reason behind not granting Favre his release -- nothing else.

Management says the "finality" of Favre's retirement prompted the Packers to "move forward with our football team.'' But how can you move forward if Favre is still on the depth chart? If you don't want him as your starter, which is beyond astounding, then why want him at all?

Thompson has mixed a football Molotov cocktail. A short pour of Favre. A long pour of Aaron Rodgers. Topped off by Packers teammates and fans torn by their allegiances. Now light and throw.

Favre could make it easy on Thompson by staying retired. Of course, that's what Thompson is counting on: The great Brett Favre would never come back here as a backup. He wants Favre to fold.

But I'd love to see Favre report to Packers training camp later this month. I'd love to see the beads of sweat form on Thompson's forehead as he realizes he miscalculated the situation. Again.

If Favre shows up, Thompson has created an instant quarterback controversy. And by doing so, he has created the beginnings of a divided locker room. You don't think there are going to be pro-Favre guys vs. pro-Rodgers guys on that roster? You don't think the Lambeau crowd will start chanting No. 4's name the first time Rodgers struggles (and he will -- zero starts, 35 completions and one touchdown throw in three seasons)? You don't think Rodgers, Thompson's very first pick as GM in 2005, will be looking over his shoulder pads every time he makes a mistake?

Favre isn't blameless in this mess. He miscalculated, too. And for that, some Packers followers now consider him a whiner, not worth the trouble. Let's hear what they say if Rodgers bombs.

Thompson doesn't really want Favre back, unless it's for ribbon-cutting ceremonies or 20-year anniversaries. He wants the Rodgers Era to begin as soon as possible, preferably with Favre watching from his living room in Mississippi.

But sometimes you make exceptions for the exceptional. Favre has his faults, beginning with his penchant for changing his mind, but he still gives the Packers the best chance to win. Somehow that's been lost in the chaos. If Thompson wants to honor Favre's legacy, then grant him his release. If he signs with the Vikings and beats you, then that's how it goes. After all, Thompson had first crack at him as the Packers' starter.

Or if Favre truly wants to make this an amicable farewell, then he should tell the Packers he won't sign with an NFC North team. The wink-wink understanding might not be officially allowed by the league, but who has to know, right? The more likely scenario: The Packers could manipulate the trade process by making the price reasonable for, say, AFC teams, but cost-prohibitive for teams such as the division rival Vikings, Chicago Bears and Detroit Lions, or even 2008 NFC opponents Tampa Bay (Sept. 28 road game) and Carolina (Nov. 30 game at Lambeau) -- both rumored landing spots for Favre.

The whole situation is messier than eating barbecue ribs with your knuckles. And it could only get worse.

In the end, Thompson and the Packers are the ones jumping off the cliff without the bungee cord securely attached. They're betting everything on Rodgers' potential and Favre's sense of pride.

I'll bet on Favre. Lesser cards, better player.

ESPN=Fail

Edited by piratesownninjas

ESPN lost its credibility a while ago. Now it deals in tripe like this. Thanks for posting it, though, to remind us all of exactly how far they have fallen.

If you've been wondering who has been hiding under the bag in my avatar for all these years, I guess it's time to take the bag off.

:D:wacko::D:D:D

:wacko: Obviously you don't know much about Lord Ted. Ted wouldn't welcome him back. It's Rodgers team, and if you think it's plausible for Favre to come back for another year, then Rodgers take over in 09 you need to get in touch with reality.

See, I'm capable of not blowing up. :D

Imagine being a life long Packer/Favre fan...

LMAO, Lord Ted

What has this fraud done. Aaron Kampman and Brett Favre are the face of this franchise, and he wasnt responsible for either of these. Greg Jennings is about the best pick this guy made, and Favre has made Jennings look pretty damn good imo. Aaron Rogers reminds me of Kyle Boller. Dude has skills, but has no idea how to play the position, and Brohm or someone else will be the next successful Qb in GB, not Aaron F'n Rogers.

ESPN=Fail

No offense, but that article by ESPN was dead on. That article is the reason I am even posting in this thread. I couldnt agree more with it, and if GB is so sure Favre isnt the answer at QB for them, then let him go to Minnesota, and watch him kick the Packers ass twice a year. Fraud Ted isnt stupid, he knows Favre moving to Minnesota would cost him his job. This idiot should bite the bullet and take Favre back with open arms, move Rogers back to the bench, and know Rogers is more ready now if something does happen to Brett.

No offense, but that article by ESPN was dead on. That article is the reason I am even posting in this thread. I couldnt agree more with it, and if GB is so sure Favre isnt the answer at QB for them, then let him go to Minnesota, and watch him kick the Packers ass twice a year. Fraud Ted isnt stupid, he knows Favre moving to Minnesota would cost him his job. This idiot should bite the bullet and take Favre back with open arms, move Rogers back to the bench, and know Rogers is more ready now if something does happen to Brett.

Props to you for going against the grain of the sentiments of most of the people here at the huddle. And i tend to agree with you. I think people are forgetting that Favre was/is one of the best qb's in the league ( and that Favre finished 2nd in the MVP voting last year). Everyone's favorite player is the backup qb. Yeah, he jerked around the organization a bit, and that really wasn't that cool, but if Favre ends up another team the pack is going to regret it.

Edited by Jackass

Maybe Favre could go to DAL, and then when the playoffs come they can insert a QB who can win a playoff game.

Time to put all the media on ignore. :wacko:

ESPN.com no longer has it on their home page (or, at least, I cannot find it, but Steven A. Smith went on a 2 minute rant in which he blistered the media - and ESPN colleagues - for their love-in with Favre as well as how wrong Favre is right now.

I'll keep looking but if someone has it, please post. Worth a listen (and I generally fins SAS very annoying).

LMAO, Lord Ted

What has this fraud done.

Ryan, I know you're just trying to get me to blow up... You couldn't possibly be as dumb as the question you asked would lead me to believe...

What has he done you ask? How about repair the damage that Mike Sherman did. This team was 4-12 and Favre looked like someone who had no business in the league. From 4-12 to 8-8, from 8-8 to 13-3 and home playoff games.

That article was full of speculation and inuendo. You like it because you think they guessed right. I'm waiting for Favre to say whether he asked if was wanted as the starter. It appears he assumed they didn't want him and retired without asking. That would be a shame.

Favre and Romo both suck at holding for field goals though.

Edited by Randall

I'm totally freakin sick of this whole ordeal. They shoulda just let him walk like the Browns did with Bentley. It's clear neither wants to be a backup and if you are ready for the future, don't get bogged down in the past. Sure the Browns took a llittle of a PR hit but it's over now while this drama seems like there's no end in sight.

Don't know if the comparison was made as I don't want to wade through 8 pages of this

The St. Petersburg Times has a Bucs/Favre related blog/article with some rumours:

Brett Favre is planning to play in 2008 and no longer feels welcome in Green Bay.

But if he is able to gain his release or be traded from the Packers, the Bucs may not be very high on Favre's list of new teams.

Favre has recently told sources close to him that Tampa Bay was 'too hot,' and that he prefers to play and practice in cooler weather. That sounds rather strange from a guy who grew up and spends his summers in Mississippi.

There also is another problem. The Bucs playbook under Jon Gruden may be unrecognizable to him.

Gruden is a disciple of the west coast offense and the principles certainly still apply. But he has evolved his system during 10 NFL seasons and the terminology is voluminous.

Former Raiders quarterback Rich Gannon, who played under Gruden as recently as 2001, was doing a Bucs game for CBS and sat in a couple quarterback meetings. He has commented that the offense was unrecognizable to him.

What would that mean to Favre? Could the Bucs, after spending an off-season refining the offense in the second year with Jeff Garcia under center, adapt the system to Favre? Could the Bucs players adapt that quickly to their new quarterback?

While some teams in the NFL have indicated they have no interest in Favre (the Jets and Ravens, to name a couple), the Bucs have had no comment on the subject. That's not unusual since talking about interest in a player under contract to another team can be considered tampering.

But this is not fantasy football. It's likely there are many discussions about Favre taking place among the Bucs front office and coaching staff. Again, Gruden has said many times how much he admires Favre. Aside from maybe Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, there's probably not another quarterback he respects more.

But the Bucs report to training camp in 10 days. Like the Packers, they have to move forward.

Jeff Garcia will be taking the first snap at Disney's Wide World of Sports. The Packers have said they will not release Favre. It's clear after listening to Favre on Fox News Monday night, he won't return as a backup to Aaron Rodgers.

That means Favre would have to be traded and the Packers have asked him for a list of acceptable teams. An agreement for compensation, in terms of draft picks, etc., would have to be reached with the Packers.

That's a lot of ground that would have to be covered in 10 days. And if the Bucs were inclined to strike a deal for Favre, it's unlikely Jeff Garcia would want to remain as a backup, so he would have to be traded or released.

It's been made clear to Favre they don't want him to be their starting quarterback this year in Green Bay. That said, Favre has not named another team he would like to play for.

But the story is going to remain as hot as a summer day in Tampa Bay.

Favre quit. Now he is trying to un-quit. He is way too willing to completely screw over his beloved Packers (franchise and fans) for his own selfish interests.

The guy has a right to work if he wants to. This is America, how can anyone even question Favre's decision to seek employment. There is nothing more to be said. :wacko:

Edited by Big Ernie McCracken