[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Big Time Band You Dislike

Footballjoe

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all historical purposes, it started out as Lee, Lifeson and John Rutsey (who played on the self titled debut album). Rutsey left the band before their first tour and it's been Lee, Lifeson and Peart ever since. So they've always been a trio. There was some other dude playing bass before Geddy, but he's as much a part of Rush as Stu Sutcliffe is a Beatle.

Not that anyone gives a crap. . .

My first real concert in the 70's....Rush/Styx/Starcastle. :wacko::tup:

Rush wasn't really Rush until the Fly By Night album and Alex, Neil. and Geddy. Been those 3 ever since.

REM - their albums from the mid 80s are simply about as good as rock music gets. totally unique and identifiable, great songs, great albums.

I'm glad someone said it. Murmur, Reckoning, and Fables are the best "first three" LP's I'd ever heard in my life, and they stand the test of time.

To mention "Orange Crush" and use that as a reference point to REM is like using Fantasy Aces as a reference point for a great fantasy football site.

It's not that I really "dislike" them, I just don't get the Van Halen jock sniffing that goes one. I don't like Rush, though admittedly only know a few of the radio songs. Geddy's voice. :wacko: Also think one of the most overrated bands ever has to be Kiss. Talk about a gimicky band.

Also agree about what someone said about Kings of Leon. I turn the channel when it comes on as well.

Saw them live at a 3 day music fest in 2008. Least interesting band in the whole lineup.

For all historical purposes, it started out as Lee, Lifeson and John Rutsey (who played on the self titled debut album). Rutsey left the band before their first tour and it's been Lee, Lifeson and Peart ever since. So they've always been a trio. There was some other dude playing bass before Geddy, but he's as much a part of Rush as Stu Sutcliffe is a Beatle.

Not that anyone gives a crap. . .

See? It's a Rush fan that feels the need to mount a defense - including a link - to defend their taste, yet of all the other bands mentioned every fan simply rolls with it. As I said - I just don't get it.

REM - their albums from the mid 80s are simply about as good as rock music gets. totally unique and identifiable, great songs, great albums.

Some of their darker stuff I could get into, but just too much shiny, happy, people gheydom for me to tolerate as a group. I'm actually kind of a fan of Stipe's voice & love some of the work he's done with others.

Edited by rajncajn

I don't really know either way because they are of zero interest to me, but I sorta thought that even KISS fans view them as schlocky and gimmicky.

Pretty much right on target there...didn't really like KISS but I had a couple of friends that were into them big time, so I got talked into seeing them in concert and I had to admit, that was one of the best shows I've ever been to...

It's not that I really "dislike" them, I just don't get the Van Halen jock sniffing that goes one. I don't like Rush, though admittedly only know a few of the radio songs. Geddy's voice. :wacko: Also think one of the most overrated bands ever has to be Kiss. Talk about a gimicky band.

I completely forgot about Kiss....god, I hate them...

Have to echo the :wacko: with the KISS hate. Mind you, I have never followed or cared for them much at all, but I also don't think there was ever a time when they were being touted as a great band. Just a big spectacle. For instance, if you don't like Led Zep, then I can see the outrage because they've always been considered iconic. Same with the Beatles, Stones, Who, U2, etc. But Kiss? How can you "hate" KISS, they're freaking harmless pap. They're basically a real life Spinal Tap.

In fairness, I only came to this realization somewhat recently and did include myself among those who thought they were "overated' at one point. Before it dawned on me that they were never really "rated" at all.

Edited by detlef

yeah, that band changed names and members quite often early on, I remember there were more than 3 members from time to time. But yes mostly known for that 3 man front. Ok, here is a history of Rush (beware rush haters, it has a constant Rush music in the background, might make u nauseated so therefore NSFW) :wacko:

http://www.erikandanna.com/Rush/history_of_rush.htm

Right, they only ever had three band members. John Rutsey was the drummer on the first self titled album but he was replaced by Neil Peart from Fly by Night on.

I am not a fan of Tom Petty and The Fartmakers, no gag reflex, but I do change the station when he comes on.

No doubt, his whine makes me ill.

Very surprised I've noticed no dislikes for RHCP. I really liked their first album, but their work since has been extremely inconsistent with a couple of good songs on each album and filled in with a bunch of crap.

It's not that I really "dislike" them, I just don't get the Van Halen jock sniffing that goes one.

Because Eddie Van Halen has more talent in his little pinkie than any grunge band ever dreamed of having. And Eddie has done it for 30+ years instead of some crap fad music cycle during the early 90s that quickly faded and died because it sucked so hard...and no one wanted to watch a guy rock out a cardigan sweater.

Took the first one that popped into my head. I can't stand Jaggar's voice esp.

Also

U2

Led Zep

Neil Young

AC/DC

Dave Matthews. That whiny, tinny voice, it's like a male Wanda Sykes. barf (really any band with that kind of "singer" I'll pass on)

oldest of Grateful Dead (more modern stuff's a lot better, ie about Shakedown St on up)

Nirvana

REM

:wacko:

would love to see what bands you actually like - wow

just adds to the list of things I 100% disagree with you on - like every post and comment you have ever made

carry on

No doubt, his whine makes me ill.

Very surprised I've noticed no dislikes for RHCP. I really liked their first album, but their work since has been extremely inconsistent with a couple of good songs on each album and filled in with a bunch of crap.

+1 on RHCP, early on I thought they had something.

I never understood or liked Bob Seger (something which should be added to the list of things I do that annoys my wife). I took her to see him in Cle a few years ago, though, and it was a great show.... course my opinion could be clouded by the nookie I was rewarded with....

See? It's a Rush fan that feels the need to mount a defense - including a link - to defend their taste, yet of all the other bands mentioned every fan simply rolls with it. As I said - I just don't get it.

The only thing I was defending was how many people were in the band. In fact, I said that defending the quality of their music wasn't the point of this thread, and refrained from it. Reread post #71.

:wacko: ?

Edited by SheikYerbuti