[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Suh

piratesownninjas

Dang Hugh, you tell people to grow a pair yet you want the NFL to be a flag football league. It's confusing.

How is it badge of manhood to sit your fat ass on a couch and demand blood from the pro athletes you're watching?

I can at least understand when certain players who are laying their ass on the line make this complaint, because they're at least prepared to walk the walk. But how does this sentiment on the part of a spectator make them more manly?

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it badge of manhood to sit your fat ass on a couch and demand blood from the pro athletes you're watching?

I can at least understand when certain players who are laying their ass on the line make this complaint, because they're at least prepared to walk the walk. But how does this sentiment on the part of a spectator make them more manly?

It doesn't necessariliy make them more manly. We all grew up watching a sport that was primitive and violent. We worshiped guys like Lambert, LT, Tatum, Easley, Dobler, Hacksaw, Atwater, ......... i could go on and on.

The NFL is not the sport we grew up with anymore. Those hits we used to get so amped up about now cost our team 15 yards and cost the player thousands of dollars.

I understand there are safety concerns these days we, supposedly, didn't know about back then, but that doesn't change the fact that we miss those days.

It doesn't seem like football to me when players are accused of playing too hard or having intent to injure. Defensive players used to have intent to injure on every play. It was the offense's job to prevent it. I would feel this way no matter what team I rooted for.

The game has just changed and it feels more like soccer than football........

It doesn't necessariliy make them more manly. We all grew up watching a sport that was primitive and violent. We worshiped guys like Lambert, LT, Tatum, Easley, Dobler, Hacksaw, Atwater, ......... i could go on and on.

The NFL is not the sport we grew up with anymore. Those hits we used to get so amped up about now cost our team 15 yards and cost the player thousands of dollars.

I understand there are safety concerns these days we, supposedly, didn't know about back then, but that doesn't change the fact that we miss those days.

It doesn't seem like football to me when players are accused of playing too hard or having intent to injure. Defensive players used to have intent to injure on every play. It was the offense's job to prevent it. I would feel this way no matter what team I rooted for.

I want to agree with you from a gut level, but now we know what concussions do to the players (think Muhammad Ali all the way to Lou Gherig's disease and premature death), and I've seen the interviews with guys who have had 20 knee surgeries and live in constant pain.

As with most things in life, there should be balance. Unbridled aggression on the field is going to shorten careers and endanger lives, and probably turn a lot of spectators off. Football is inherently violent and there is no way around that, but the NFL can take steps to protect players without making the game unrecognizable. What they really need to do is be more consistent in their enforcement because there is too much confusion around what is legal vs. illegal, and they need to put some teeth into their punishments which unfortunately needs to be agreed with the players union, not an easy hurdle. The way things are now, it's a crapshoot...does that DT have a bad reputation and is that QB a pro-bowler? Okay, $15,000.

I am not trying to be cold, but, just like everything else, this is about money. Back in the day when players were paid peanuts owners didn't give a crap about thier players. Now they are "investments".

If owners really cared about the players they wouldn't fight like dogs to avoid paying health and pension benefits to the retired players.

I am convinced that fantasy football is the only reason the NFL is the most popular sport in our country. The game on its own isn't what it used to be. Offensive players are given every advantage while definsive players have to play with their hands tied behind their backs. There is no running game in the NFL anymore because PI rules make it unimportant to control the clock and run the ball down the other teams throat.

Everyone on God's green earth knew getting concussed over and over was bad for your brain. They just chose to ignore it until affected their pocketbooks. I think it was about the time Steve Young had to reitre that all this wussification started.

I understand it is dangerous to play in the NFL, but these guys know the risks and are piad handsomely to do it. Working in a coal mine is dangerous. Working on a crab boat is dangerous. People still choose to do these things because they need the money.

Why is it more important to protect a QB than it is to protect a coal miner? $$$$$$$$$$

Sorry to go all taigate on this, but I don't enjoy watching football half as much as I used to. My sons say football is lame because they are always calling penatlies and the game is slow. Why? $$$$$$$$. Going to an NFL game is torture these days with all the time outs for commercials, referee meetings and reviews.

Other than that, I really don't have an opinion.

I can sympathize with your kids because of

My sons say football is lame because they are always calling penatlies and the game is slow. Why? $$$$$$$$. Going to an NFL game is torture these days with all the time outs for commercials, referee meetings and reviews.

I don't watch the games anymore because I can't stand watching the same commercial over and over. And there are commercials constantly. I watched redzone a couple times at my friends house and that seems to be the hot ticket. All the games, only the taco you wanna see, no commercials. Perfect.

I read somewhere that there is like 8 minutes of actual gameplay per football game, if that. The other 50+ minutes is them running the play clock down. You throw that in the mix with all the commercials and you have a pretty big snoozer. Its nothing to baseball, but as far as i know, baseball aint sellin taco lately. I went to a pro basketball game for teh first time a few years ago and was amazed at the pace. Its just fun to watch these monsters run back and forth.

I used to really enjoy watching football but it just doesnt do it for me anymore. I'm only in my early twenties but still notice a huge difference in the pace of games from as early as 10 years ago. It saddens me to see the players get increasingly more athletic and skillful, yet somehow the game becomes washed out

watched redzone a couple times at my friends house and that seems to be the hot ticket. All the games, only the taco you wanna see, no commercials. Perfect.

Pretty much. TV has the game by the balls and is constantly squeezing more commercials into it.

Pretty much. TV has the game by the balls and is constantly squeezing more commercials into it.

Having been involved/a fan of football since 1960, and the only one in my hood that actually collected the cards, I remember well that it wasn't even on TV! You had to listen to radio or go to the movie theater and hope for something to show up on the newsreels. The "Big Games" (championships) we're broadcast on a screen in a large venue. It was expensive and believe me the resolution stunk!

Are there too many comml's...YES! Is the game slower...YES! Is it all because of money...DOH! But as the old gambler said "It's a crooked game, but it's the only game in town."

I watch "The Red Zone", but usually when no game that is on grabs my interest. They do a great job and serves a purpose.

As far as the younger set saying "It's boring.", what do they have to compare it to? :wacko: Not exactly a testimonial to take seriously.

To those that have been watching for the last 20+ years...I understand your complaints. But TV in general has maxed out comml's, which is why I DVR everything, 'cept football, unless I can't watch a game due to responsibilities (rare). Not sure but back in the 60-70's comml's took up 4-5 mins on a 30 minute show. Now it has to be 8-10 mins.. Again not sure.

I can live w/ it. Mainly 'cause IT AIN'T GONNA CHANGE and I need the football fix!

Understand what the gambler said.

Peace

rr26

First MNF game - 1970 Broken into 19 parts. Noticed how few ads there were in that game, and the quality was generally a lot better, except for 2 of them that couldn't play today - cigarette ads are now banned and no way could those Good Year ads run today as they were rather sexist.

Edited by Big John

That was supposedly Joe Green... his rookie season...

How much was he fined for that and how long was his suspension?

He could have ripped Butkus' head off with that loogie! What a thug!

They had quick dramatic scenes of how scary the road was for women drivers.

edit : starting at 3:32

edit2:

Is that really so different from the current Michelin commercials where they claim "so much is riding on your tires"? Both are attempts to appeal to the protective instinct of the male tire buying population.

What can I say, I still enjoy football. I enjoy all the elements (well, not the commercials, but that gives me a chance to run to my office and check how I'm doing in my FF leagues). I like big hits, but I like the chess match, and the amazing throws/catches, the last minute drama, the whole thing. In fact, I'm often perplexed when threads here start about the announcers. Certainly there are some I like more than others, but I'm just there to watch the game.

I do hope the league re-examines the rules regarding hits and figures out some way to not penalize, at the moment hits that replay ends up showing were completely fine. I would think they could take an approach where hits are reviewed on film and guys are essentially forced to sit out periods of time if they accumulate enough "points". Sort of like the penalty box only you're fined whatever portion of your game check based on how much you miss but your team gets to sub for you.

Maybe then you'd start distinguishing the difference between guys who are going all-out and guys who are just plain reckless and looking to injure players.

Mind you, that wouldn't mean that certain, blatant fouls would not be called on the spot, I'm just talking about the borderline plays.

everything is relative. it is manly compared with sitting your fat ass on a couch and whining about the barbarism.

But I'm not actually whining. I like the game. I liked it when dudes were flying around knocking the snot out of each other, and I like it now. So, given that, I have no problem with the league taking steps to help insure these guys aren't vegetables when they're 40. They don't owe me that.

I'm simply saying that, as long as Suh insists on trying to get away with as much as he can in this regard, he should expect to get penalties and fines and both he and Lions fans should quit whining about it.

There are plenty of dominant defensive players who manage to keep their names clear. Not sure why Suh can't.

Think of it like this: BAC driving laws mean different things to different people. To some they mean, if you have more than a drink or two, you'd better get a cab. To some they mean, given your weight, you should actually be cool if you have x number of drinks and if you're borderline, you'd better take the back roads. I'm going to guess that group 2 gets more DUIs.

I just think football is a violent game at its base and trying to make it safe makes it feel like a different sport.

These guys have been taught from peewee football their job is to crush people and now the NFL wants to change what has become instinct to them through penalties and fines.

Do they have this issue in college football?

If a team wants to protect it's QB, have them block or scheme better. Don't penalize the defense for doing what they have been taught to do. Imagine being aDL and you have to be violent and explosive to get past the Oline and you get to the QB and then you have to tackle him gently. Don't touch his head! Don't actually put your weight on him! Don't hit his legs too low! It is ridiculous.

Now we are getting the same way with DBs. Isn't their job to hit the receiver so the ball comes out? Now they have to determine if he is defensless? Make sure the wR doesn't bend down to avoid the hit, thus exposing their head. What is that crap?

I just think football is a violent game at its base and trying to make it safe makes it feel like a different sport.

These guys have been taught from peewee football their job is to crush people and now the NFL wants to change what has become instinct to them through penalties and fines.

Do they have this issue in college football?

If a team wants to protect it's QB, have them block or scheme better. Don't penalize the defense for doing what they have been taught to do. Imagine being aDL and you have to be violent and explosive to get past the Oline and you get to the QB and then you have to tackle him gently. Don't touch his head! Don't actually put your weight on him! Don't hit his legs too low! It is ridiculous.

Now we are getting the same way with DBs. Isn't their job to hit the receiver so the ball comes out? Now they have to determine if he is defensless? Make sure the wR doesn't bend down to avoid the hit, thus exposing their head. What is that crap?

Like I said, I think the NFL needs to re-examine the rules a bit so that guys aren't punished for doing their jobs. Regardless, I still see plenty of great hits that don't get called penalties and, given the reaction of both fans and players, I don't see the game going further down the "safety" road any time soon.

So I'm pretty sure we're not going to turn into soccer. :wacko: