[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Old 96er

whomper

I am on vacation with the family and went to a place that had this colossal burger that supposedly is very difficult to finish. I inialated it and finished my fries. Got me thinking. Do you guys have any of these types of places by you that have a big meal like in the great outdoors when John Candy finished the old 96er ? I always found that stuff pretty cool. A buddy of mine told me about a steak place in Memphis I believe. I think I could definitely do a giant steak. Have any of you ever tried one of these types of places ?

Edited by whomper

I used to do stuff like this all the time, but since dropping 90 lbs in the last 8 months by simply watching portion sizes, I just don't do it any more. Sorry whomp...

I ate a 5 lb "Cantina Burger" one time, complete with fries in college. Got free pitchers for the table that night. The place was a dive, and you were braving more than 5lbs of dead cow flesh eating that sucker...

There is (or used to be) a place in Key West that sold a 72 OZ T-Bone. I bought one once, ate on it for three days. The funny part is that I left the keys the morning after buying it and transported it, without chilling it, on the 11 hour drive back home. Ate on it that night and then finished it the next day... Good stuff.

Isn't that what the show Man vs. Food is all about? The guy goes to places and eats things like 7 pound burrito, 6 pound cheesesteak sandwich etc.

I don't know of any places around like that. And while I do like to eat, I try not to consume such massive amounts in one sitting.

I also know of some places that do this with ice cream, like on in Jackson MI that had a 20 some scoop sundae.

Isn't that what the show Man vs. Food is all about? The guy goes to places and eats things like 7 pound burrito, 6 pound cheesesteak sandwich etc.

I don't know of any places around like that. And while I do like to eat, I try not to consume such massive amounts in one sitting.

I also know of some places that do this with ice cream, like on in Jackson MI that had a 20 some scoop sundae.

That burrito looked awesome too. Just not 7 pounds worth.

Was looking for a spot in the Chippewa Flowage back when in law school many years ago. I was supposed to meet a buddy for some fishing. My brother and I were hungry and off the beaten trail for us. nI a land of giant muskies and Paul Bunyans for roadside signs we saw a sign for a free steak meal if you could down the 72 ounce beast. We were both young, hungry, and are rather large boys. We both finished handily.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

Actually their is a pizza place about 5-10 miles from my house that was on Man vs. Food. They have a pizza challenge that takes two people eating this monster-sized pizza (11 lbs. worth). They even show just it in the opening of every show... they hold up just a slice of it next to a baby to get a comparison of the size. FYI, he wasn't able to complete the contest and the food won.

I have seen people order this "to go" for a party and the thing is soooo big they get to their car and can't figure out how to fit the box in their car. You have to have a truck bed to bring this thing home, it won't fit in most car doors.

I am on vacation with the family and went to a place that had this colossal burger that supposedly is very difficult to finish. I inialated it and finished my fries. Got me thinking. Do you guys have any of these types of places by you that have a big meal like in the great outdoors when John Candy finished the old 96er ? I always found that stuff pretty cool. A buddy of mine told me about a steak place in Memphis I believe. I think I could definitely do a giant steak. Have any of you ever tried one of these types of places ?

This post makes me sad. :sad:

There's an Indian restaurant in town called Mint. A page of their menu is called "The Inferno" and you have to sign a waiver before eating anything off of it. If you eat the whole Inferno menu you get your picture on the wall. Our waiter said about 300 people have tried. There are 7 pictures on the wall. A friend of mine tried one item off the Inferno menu, ate about 2 bites and thought he was going to die.

The rest of the menu there, btw, is excellent.

Its not part of a contest, but every time I go to Las Vegas, I get a Maserati Omelet (that features mozzarella cheese and sausage marinara sauce) at the Peppermill, which, I was recently informed, is made with 10 eggs.

I didn't have too much of a problem eating it until I learned that it had 10 eggs.

ETA: It comes with a substantial amount of hash browns, adding to the challenge.

Edited by Furd

• 2 weeks later...

As a Jersey boy, you may be familiar with Pete & Elda's/Carmen's in Neptune. If you've never been there, they have great thin crust pizza, the place is always packed, weekends, weeknights, summer, winter, makes no difference. Anyway, they have a promotion in which you win a free T-shirt if you can eat one of their XXL pizzas by yourself.

Evidently this dude ate 3+ of them by himself, thereby setting their record! http://peteandeldas.com/news.html

As a Jersey boy, you may be familiar with Pete & Elda's/Carmen's in Neptune. If you've never been there, they have great thin crust pizza, the place is always packed, weekends, weeknights, summer, winter, makes no difference. Anyway, they have a promotion in which you win a free T-shirt if you can eat one of their XXL pizzas by yourself.

Evidently this dude ate 3+ of them by himself, thereby setting their record! http://peteandeldas.com/news.html

I've eaten 6 or 7 slices in a single sitting pretty much without giving it a second thought. I'm fairly confident I could eat a whole pizza if I was really hungry.

3 pies, OTOH. . . .that's insane.

I am pretty sure I could do that, as pizza is my gluttony speciality, and that doesn't even look so daunting.

we have a local pizza chain that have this 14-pound pizza that they challenge two people to eat. I'm not sure if it's ever been done. probably 10 pounds of it if bread/crust. :huh:

edit to add: youtube link

Edited by Azazello1313