[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What did Ray Lewis Do ?

whomper

So here's the counterpoint, published Oct 16, 2012, by Gregg Easterbrook of ESPN. I'll cut and paste (It's still quite long) since most of the original article has nothing to do with Ray Lewis.

Relevant excerpt:

So how to assess Lewis? The positive are many: Super Bowl ring, two defensive Player of the Year awards, an amazing 12 Pro Bowl trips. Among the few middle linebackers of the modern era who do not come off the field on passing downs (Brian Urlacher and London Fletcher head the short list of others). Active in public service. And in an era of me-first job-hopping by players and coaches alike, Lewis has spent his entire 17-season career in the same place. He might be the last of a dying breed in terms of loyalty to team and city.

The negative: Lewis has a criminal record, from pleading guilty to a serious crime. He cannot be understood without this context, which in recent years has been strangely absent from sportscasting and sportswriting.

In 2000, Lewis and two other men were charged with murder in Fulton County, Ga. (Atlanta). The murder charge was dropped when Lewis pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice and agreed to testify against the friends he had been with when the friends stabbed two men to death after a Super Bowl party. Lewis admitted lying to police, and based on his testimony, the best-case reading of his actions is that a huge, muscular NFL player stood by doing nothing while his companions killed a pair of men. The companions subsequently were acquitted on grounds of self-defense; it was suggested, though never proved, that the two men killed threatened Lewis' group with a gun. Society might never know for sure what happened that night. When a desperate fight occurs in the dark, even the people involved might never know for sure what happened.

Until the killings, Lewis had a reputation as a man to be feared. Since the killings, his reputation has changed: Now it is of a hard-nosed football player, but a kind person off the field. He talks to youth groups. He is tireless in having his photograph taken with strangers, something many NFL celebrities dislike. (I have observed Lawrence Taylor become angry when approached by kids for a photograph.) He is unfailingly accessible to the media, which many NFL players consider their enemy. He smiles and stops to help people.

That is -- Lewis, by appearances, is redeemed. No one can know what is in another person's heart. But since 2000, Lewis has seemed a changed man. And this is more important than his achievements as a football player.

The world is full of impressive athletes, and full of men who have done bad things and gotten away with it. There is a distinct shortage of those who have made themselves better people.

Assuming Lewis leaves the NFL, reporters and conventional audiences will want him to tell amusing anecdotes of his experiences his famous football players. He should tell awkward, unpleasant anecdotes about his own life. Lewis' experiences with himself are the essence to assessing him. The saying goes: What happens to a man matters less than what happens inside a man. In Lewis' case, it seems that what happened inside was good.

He curbed both those guys and his crew clammed up to protect their gravy train. That's what happened.

LMAO at "turned around." He was convicted of obstruction of justice in a still unsolved double homicide. If he wants to turn around he should turn himself in.

I don't think they were unsolved. Weren't the accused acquitted on self-defense grounds or something?

Greg Easterbrook is also a tool and a half. I can't stand reading his garbage TMQ posts; however, it's like watching a car accident. You just can't look away.

Gotta love how he used LT as an example of "other NFL players who hate to have their photo taken with others". Great, so we've established that Lewis is not as big an a-hole as LT. Way to set the bar high.

I don't think they were unsolved. Weren't the accused acquitted on self-defense grounds or something?

Correct according to what stelhant posted.

Another thing that bugged me with Ray recently, during the BAL-DEN game, while the ref was explaining the OT rules to the captains and preparing for the coin toss Ray was yapping on about something. He may have been praying to God, and I have no problem with that. But shut your hole, and listen to the official explain this to you, show a little respect.

• Like 1

Wow... people never cease to surprise me. I believe Lewis has been forgiven in God's eyes. He's been a positive leader for his team and football in general. Would you be happier if he kept being a thug? Seeing people judged like this makes my stomach turn. The man's actions at trying to be a better person and an example to others speak for themselves. People that make generalizations and judgements about people they don't know and never will know generally don't have much to offer themselves, I've found

Certainly God forgives the truly sorry and contrite. That he refuses to clear up the circumstances of the murders by protecting either himself or his buddies doesn't show much contrition. So, while we can't know what is in his heart (well maybe you do since you think God has forgiven him already) I'd say it doesn't look too good from an outside observers perspective.

Wow... people never cease to surprise me. I believe Lewis has been forgiven in God's eyes. He's been a positive leader for his team and football in general. Would you be happier if he kept being a thug? Seeing people judged like this makes my stomach turn. The man's actions at trying to be a better person and an example to others speak for themselves. People that make generalizations and judgements about people they don't know and never will know generally don't have much to offer themselves, I've found

How is it that you equate many of us not being satisfied with the fact that he's stopped allegedly killing people and devoted a ton of jack to charity with us preferring that he "kept being a thug".

Good for him. Looks like he got a second chance (that only someone as physically gifted would have gotten) and made the most of it. That certainly puts him ahead of the absolute dregs who can't seem to get straight regardless of how many chances they get. But that's sure setting the bar pretty freaking low.

And now we have to endure all his BS preaching? Tell you what, how 'bout you find one of the guys who didn't need to stare over the cliff before they realized they were given a massive gift and just decided to do cool things with it because that's the first thing that came to them. Let that guy tell me how freaking cool he is. Oh, wait, he's too busy actually being cool to waste his time with that crap.

I've known a few reformed drug addicts, and some of them wear it like a freaking badge. And don't get me wrong, I couldn't be happier that you got yourself cleaned up, but spare me the freaking sermon because, you know what I freaking did? I managed to never get hooked on whatever drug that you kicking made you so much effing wiser than I'll ever be.

• Like 1

Correct according to what stelhant posted.

Another thing that bugged me with Ray recently, during the BAL-DEN game, while the ref was explaining the OT rules to the captains and preparing for the coin toss Ray was yapping on about something. He may have been praying to God, and I have no problem with that. But shut your hole, and listen to the official explain this to you, show a little respect.

He obstructed justice, and two guys walked. The thing is, those guys might not have been the guilty ones. There is a large circle of 'in the know' people (who were there) who believe from what they've know it was Ray. And that's what I've heard - Just sayin.'

That he refuses to clear up the circumstances of the murders by protecting either himself or his buddies doesn't show much contrition.

This is the crux of the matter for me. I understand mistakes and forgiveness, but doesn't there have to be a confession before the repentance? I don't know and have never met Ray Lewis, but it's bothered me that he gets one mistake "free" to learn the lesson - a mistake that lands most others with hard jail time. That's what I would ask him about if he ever entertained my question.

This is the crux of the matter for me. I understand mistakes and forgiveness, but doesn't there have to be a confession before the repentance? I don't know and have never met Ray Lewis, but it's bothered me that he gets one mistake "free" to learn the lesson - a mistake that lands most others with hard jail time. That's what I would ask him about if he ever entertained my question.

All of this.

Someone has to do it why not me? LOL Why is it again that Tebow sucks??? He may not be a football god (yes small g), but what in his career made us hate him so much? You got to wonder where our priorities really are when we can vilify a God fearing man and praise another whose history belongs to a man named Ray Lewis.

Someone has to do it why not me? LOL Why is it again that Tebow sucks??? He may not be a football god (yes small g), but what in his career made us hate him so much? You got to wonder where our priorities really are when we can vilify a God fearing man and praise another whose history belongs to a man named Ray Lewis.

Simple all the media hype surrounding him, how he should be starting because he is better than whoever is starting at QB. Then the ad nauseum explanations about how even though it is the defense getting the ball back on turnovers at times that allowed them to win, Tebow still gets credit for that because he inspired the defense to play better.

Not sure if you really wanted to go there, or not.

Do I hate Tebow more, well no because he isn't a Raven ;) But yes, those guys breaking the law and acting like thugs are worse. Of course Tebow's squeaky clean image could blow up as fast as you can say Manti Teo.

i think less people "hate" Tebow than is assumed. I think a lot of people who simply don't think he's got the goods to make it as a pro QB are assumed to "hate" him by those who so badly want him to be great because of who he is.
  • Like 1

i think less people "hate" Tebow than is assumed. I think a lot of people who simply don't think he's got the goods to make it as a pro QB are assumed to "hate" him by those who so badly want him to be great because of who he is.

I'm sure you're right. It just seems to me that our collective vision is skewed in some way. Media or no.

Darin is super cranky that his new residence is extremely cold. He copes with snarky comments about detlef and Taz. We all pray for a warmer spell so he may have a happier outlook on life.

:lol: I am a big fan of D3 but I noticed this too. Very cranky lately . Dang