[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dez Bryant cut

skylive5

Can someone look up Dez's stats with Romo compared to Dack? I find it hard to believe a  29yr old Elite WR has lost that much step. Romo would lead Dez open, Dak can't do that and doesn't spread the ball around. Also, their offense is much different with Dak at the helm. The passing attack is second fiddle to the running game now. I'm not a big Dez fan. But I do think whoever signs him, will get a 1k yard WR. 

1 hour ago, tazinib1 said:

Can someone look up Dez's stats with Romo compared to Dack? I find it hard to believe a  29yr old Elite WR has lost that much step. Romo would lead Dez open, Dak can't do that and doesn't spread the ball around. Also, their offense is much different with Dak at the helm. The passing attack is second fiddle to the running game now. I'm not a big Dez fan. But I do think whoever signs him, will get a 1k yard WR. 

Don't have the time to get that deep, but I saw something on ESPN that Dez's catch percentage dropped significantly with Dak under center (something like 64% to 53%).... I think that's been mentioned here already, just wanted to drive that home.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, darin3 said:

Don't have the time to get that deep, but I saw something on ESPN that Dez's catch percentage dropped significantly with Dak under center (something like 64% to 53%).... I think that's been mentioned here already, just wanted to drive that home.  

I missed that. When was that on? 

While Dak versus Romo may have some significance, it also has to take into account his foot injury of 2015 and the effects that had on his total game. Bryant couldn't remain healthy until last year and then had a terrible season relative to expectations and salary. Prescott passing may well have contributed, but Bryant dropped balls and ran ragged routes and worse yet, argued with coaches and was more disruption than asset. He is not done with football, but he is not the player he once was. If he ends up with the Packers, then his stock shoots up. But if he ends up with an average or worse QB, there's no reason to expect 2014 to happen again ever.

1 hour ago, whomper said:

a victim of a qb who cant throw more than 8 yards. Give Dez to Rodgers or Brees and hes tier 1 again

I don't think so.  Watch his play in 2017 and you will see a drastic reduction in his ability to separate.  He's not the same player he was.  

17 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I don't think so.  Watch his play in 2017 and you will see a drastic reduction in his ability to separate.  He's not the same player he was.  

Let's also remember Dez 40 time was 4.52. That's not burner speed. Look at the DB's that are coming into the league. They are faster, taller and bigger than ever before. Dez skill set wasn't separation, it was his ability to out jump and push off. I'm not saying he is still the guy that posted 1,300yrd/Double digit TD's, but he's still a viable weapon with the right QB and system. I hope the Packers get him....or the Patriots since I'm a Brady owner :wink: 

Edited by tazinib1

6 hours ago, whomper said:

a victim of a qb who cant throw more than 8 yards. Give Dez to Rodgers or Brees and hes tier 1 again

I really don't see him being tier 1 again.  He's lost a step and doesn't have the discipline to put in the work needed to compensate.

• Like 1

I watched the replay of the Dallas GB game in the 2016 playoffs and Dez did great there 9 for 132 and 2 TD's.  He didn't seem to have lost a step in that game.  So 1 year later he is no longer the player he used to be ?  He may have lost a little something from the previous injuries but in 1 year's time I find it hard to believe he is an also ran now and "done".  He is only 29 still.  He isn't the athletic freak Randy Moss was but remember some thought Moss was "done" after his terrible year in Oakland in 2006 only to be traded to NE for chump change and then go off for 23 TD's and a boat load of yards and catches.  Motivation is a great thing.  Also Dez faced murder's row of CB's in last year's schedule.  Only time will tell but I am hoping he lands with an elite QB.

Edited by Henry Muto

I wish drops were an official stat so we had more clear numbers, one story I read said Dez was 3rd in drops, somebody else posted he led the league. Either way no denying he's dropped lots of passes, but also the difference in game style (with more running and short passes) and QB. He may do better elsewhere with more vertical passing game and deep ball QB, but he's not likely to return to tier 1, because of degrading skills and little desire to put in hard work.

11 hours ago, Henry Muto said:

I watched the replay of the Dallas GB game in the 2016 playoffs and Dez did great there 9 for 132 and 2 TD's.  He didn't seem to have lost a step in that game.  So 1 year later he is no longer the player he used to be ?  He may have lost a little something from the previous injuries but in 1 year's time I find it hard to believe he is an also ran now and "done".  He is only 29 still.  He isn't the athletic freak Randy Moss was but remember some thought Moss was "done" after his terrible year in Oakland in 2006 only to be traded to NE for chump change and then go off for 23 TD's and a boat load of yards and catches.  Motivation is a great thing.  Also Dez faced murder's row of CB's in last year's schedule.  Only time will tell but I am hoping he lands with an elite QB.

Nobody said he was 'done'.  But it is true that he is not as good as he once was.  That's undeniable.  But you can't rank him with the elite any more.  At least not at the moment.  Maybe his play this coming season will change all this.  But this is how I think it is for the moment.  He'll get a solid contract, maybe with mucho incentives.  Put him on a win-now team rather than one rebuilding for the future like the Bills or Jets.   

Dez is four years removed from his last "elite" season.  The only way he becomes a "tier 1" guy again is if he's paired with somebody like Rodgers or Brady (guys who make average WR's look like stars, at least in terms of fantasy production).  Put Dez with an average to slightly-above-average QB (like Romo was), and Dez will continue to be Dez.  A guy with above average talent who has started to decline physically (even if it's ever so slightly).  More importantly, Dez has historically shown that he may or may not give 100% when there is adversity (for example, facing top-tier CB's).  That fact alone makes him no longer a tier 1 guy, in my opinion.  He's better suited, at this point in his career, as a compliment to somebody else.  So, yeah, outside of GB and NE, I think signing him in hopes of him becoming your team's #1 WR might be a mistake.  Too much of a distraction for what he's worth.  

On 4/13/2018 at 6:10 PM, ABearWithFurniture said:

Texas is soooooo big, there's room for 2, and then some...

Is it to inappropriate for the best phrase ever!  That's what she.................

Sorry couldn't help myself.

• Haha 1