[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Luck retired and He was a Keeper

Publicans

I am the commissioner of my league and we use one keeper per team. We have a deadline of 8/1 for getting keepers in. We draft on 9/4. One owner kept Luck this year. He is now stating he should be allowed to keep another player instead. Our rules don't clearly state "retirement" in rules. Thoughts?

In my keeper we have to submit keepers 1 week prior to draft (the draft day varies every year due to vacation, needing to take time from work, etc...)

That give enough time for any owners wanting to make their own pre-draft selections.

Aug 1st?  That is really early.  

If no other reason other than old rule, it is completely in the clear to allow a change.  We allow a change if their is a major injury to keeper player if reported to miss multiple regular season games (but that is listed in our rules).

On 8/25/2019 at 9:49 AM, LordOpie said:

This. I'd also change your keeper deadline to after the last preseason game

That is what we use, our deadline is tomorrow at midnight, our draft is a week from tomorrow at 6PM. That gives all owners almost a full week to plan for the draft knowing who is available (we protect 5 per team with 12 teams, no restrictions on position and no "cost" to keep so all the top guys are gone). 

In our league the Luck owner also has Mahomes and around 11AM Saturday he posted a "top QB available" msg to the league looking for trade offers. Later as the news came out people were proposing all sorts of hilarious offers. And then another owner with Watson says that Goff is available for a mid round pick, I jumped on that and gave my 4th round (basically the 9.01 spot) which is right around his ADP. I only had Stafford and Trubisky and wasn't going to keep a QB. 

13 hours ago, Footballjoe said:

I may be in the minority but I would not allow it. What’s the difference between retiring or being cut. If there is a draft you have to pick your player early.

It depends on the league, most guys here are pretty cut throat in their leagues and this would fall under "too bad, so sorry for you..." type of situation. Was a bit surprised to see first few posts saying let him keep somebody else, that's not the usual huddle way of "what do your rules say". If a player has a season ending injury after being protected do you allow a do over. So why do it if they retire? However, this is a one keeper league, maybe that is a key factor and such an unexpected thing happening. I'd allow the league to have a voice, that is generally how we run our league, its a democracy not a dictatorship. If the majority of the league wants the guy to have a second chance great. But if the commish is mostly doing it on their own, that could lead to problems. 

But they definitely should address this in their rules if they want to avoid further issues in the future. Our league is pretty laid back, and there is nothing in the rules to address something happening after you set your keepers. Our keepers are due tonight at midnight, Luck may have been a keeper (or traded as I mentioned and then kept), if that was done, and he announced afterward that he was retiring not sure what we'd do. Or if the owner who kept him would expect an exception.

Last year somebody traded for McKinnon and then had him as a keeper. He tears his ACL in practice the weekend before the season opener. That guy was screwed (he's co-commish with me) and didn't ask for a do-over. I will be talking with others in my league about this to see if they think we need to address it. 

• Like 1

Our league has existed for 28 years and is pretty laid back, very few rules written down.  Our keepers are due 1 week ahead of the draft, which we always hold the Sunday before the season starts.  We can keep up to 3 keepers, they move up two rounds from last year's draft spot if kept.  If a player has a new injury after we turn the keepers in, then we allow the team to drop him, but not pick up another player.  In my opinion, I would have allowed a retirement to signify the same "spirit of that rule."  We do not allow an owner to change his/her mind because of an injury that was known about when keepers are due.  It must be a new injury and player is put on I/R or very significant.

In the league in question, I would probably allow another keeper; especially if they allow it with a new/major injury.  To me that is what the spirit of the rule was about.  

And asking people to turn their one keeper in 5 weeks before the draft????  I don't get that....

6 hours ago, LordOpie said:

sometimes, you don't know a rule is bad until you know. Change the rules next season. One year, I had the highest total points in my 16-team dynasty and did not make the playoffs. Seems silly, so the league discussed it the following season and we made changes. the league should vote on it now and if doesn't pass, then Sucks for the luck owner

Just be careful not to overreact to an outlier and make bad changes to the rules. (The NFL is going thru this cycle.) We had the 2nd or 3rd highest in total points miss the playoffs (they still win a sizable chunk of money from a total points payout) one year and debated if we should make a change, maybe giving one of the wild card spots to the highest total points. 

We've often tweaked our rules and discussed possible changes when things happen. I brought this Luck retirement keeper situation up with my co-commish and we may be discussing it at our draft. 

Highest points is a yearly discussion.

If you keep to trying to follow the NFL, records and division records is what matters.

NFL wildcard teams have made it to the playoffs.  Teams with crappy records, but tops in their division make it to the playoffs.

Agree with Stevegrab that highest point teams have made their monies winning weekly high scores, but you still have to win those important H2H and division games.