[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

O.J. Howard

Wolverines Fan

2 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Bruce Arians is what's going on here.  He has never involved the tight end much in any of his offenses.  Just about time to cut my losses here.  Sadly they are targeting Brate more than OJ at this point.  What a colossal waste of talent.  

Ha! I just said this in the Milk Carton thread. I laughed in my drafts when I saw OJ go 

Some dude on reddit added this, seems to be a lot of truth to it likely 

Tampa fan here - and OJ owner in dynasty. 

Unfortunately, OJ has a lot of stuff working against him right now.

First, Arians' famous lack of usage for TE's. We thought it might be different this year as Howard is far more talented than any he's had and the off season hype Howard was getting, but it looks to still be an issue.

Second, OJ is a really good blocker. This is great for Tampa. This is not great for fantasy owners. With a bad offensive line, Howard's ability to block is currently more of an asset to Arians than his ability to catch. Tampa has pass catchers, it needs blockers. Howard is extremely valuable to the offense in this capacity.

Finally, the rise of Chris Godwin. Jameis simply isn't going to support 3 fantasy relevant pass catchers in fantasy this season. While people may have wondered which of Godwin vs. OJ was going to emerge this year, the answer seems pretty clearly Godwin at this point.

Between his ability as a blocker, being the 3rd best pass catcher on the team, and Howard's own tendency to either disappear for long stretches at a time or contribute to turnovers himself, he seems a pretty distant 3rd on the offensive totem pole right now.

Capture.PNG.e7c4f26eebd1c3b8ecc8294863d233f8.PNG

Quick breakdown of the stats above from Howard's career;

-The stats produced are very similar from Winston to Fitzpatrick. If you ignore the percentage of targets vs. attempts

-Jameis Winston's attempts 790, so he targets Howard 6.5% of the time.

-Ryan Fitzpatrick's attempts 378, so he targets Howard 11% of the time.

More importantly, Bruce Arians, as a HC have never had a TE surpass 1000 yards over the entire course of time he coached them

Capture.PNG.1e4137c50bbf16033d6f3bc70b56908e.PNG

I'm not sure about his time as an OC.

1 hour ago, jamesplante11 said:

Capture.PNG.e7c4f26eebd1c3b8ecc8294863d233f8.PNG

Quick breakdown of the stats above from Howard's career;

-The stats produced are very similar from Winston to Fitzpatrick. If you ignore the percentage of targets vs. attempts

-Jameis Winston's attempts 790, so he targets Howard 6.5% of the time.

-Ryan Fitzpatrick's attempts 378, so he targets Howard 11% of the time.

More importantly, Bruce Arians, as a HC have never had a TE surpass 1000 yards over the entire course of time he coached them

Capture.PNG.1e4137c50bbf16033d6f3bc70b56908e.PNG

I'm not sure about his time as an OC.

See my post in the other "OJ Howard didn't get targeted" thread, I broke down % of targets to TEs during Arians time as OC/HC with teams.

8 hours ago, LordOpie said:

Arians has already given up on Howard...

Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians said O.J. Howard can play "a heck of a lot better than he's playing."

Howard, who many pegged as a breakout candidate this year, has been invisible in the early going, tallying just four catches for 32 yards while earning PFF's worst grade among qualified tight ends. When asked of Howard's early struggles, Arians said, "You’d probably have to ask him. He has so much talent. He can play a heck of a lot better than he’s playing." Howard's goose egg Thursday at Carolina (to be fair, he wasn't targeted) was certainly not what fantasy owners anticipated when they spent a mid-round pick on him in fantasy drafts this summer.

Sep 13, 2019, 6:44 PM ET

I have way too many shares of this guy.  Usually grabbed him or Engram before falling into the TE draft abyss.  Loved him coming out.  This does not bode well for my season.  

On 9/13/2019 at 8:09 PM, LordOpie said:

Arians has already given up on Howard...

Buccaneers coach Bruce Arians said O.J. Howard can play "a heck of a lot better than he's playing."

Howard, who many pegged as a breakout candidate this year, has been invisible in the early going, tallying just four catches for 32 yards while earning PFF's worst grade among qualified tight ends. When asked of Howard's early struggles, Arians said, "You’d probably have to ask him. He has so much talent. He can play a heck of a lot better than he’s playing." Howard's goose egg Thursday at Carolina (to be fair, he wasn't targeted) was certainly not what fantasy owners anticipated when they spent a mid-round pick on him in fantasy drafts this summer.

Sep 13, 2019, 6:44 PM ET

The only silver lining is there's room for improvement, at least in Arians's eyes. This guy was a baller last year when healthy.

2 minutes ago, stethant said:

The only silver lining is there's room for improvement, at least in Arians's eyes. This guy was a baller last year when healthy.

Reading that I don't get that Arians has given up on him, only that he thinks he has a lot of room to improve.