[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Obama sending more troops in harm's way

BeeR

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100da...ps-afghanistan/

I can't wait to hear the Obama fans' spin. Wasn't one of his big campaign platforms/promises to draw down and get our boys out of harm's way? Wasn't that a big reason (supposedly) that a lot of people voted for him?

Or was that just for Iraq? I guess it's a lot safer in Afghanistan. :wacko:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't wait to hear the Obama fans' spin. Wasn't one of his big campaign platforms/promises to draw down and get our boys out of harm's way? Wasn't that a big reason (supposedly) that a lot of people voted for him?

He always said he was going to put more troops in afganistan.

An excerpt from Time magazine, July 2008.

Barack Obama

Refocusing on the Central Front

What has long been missing from our national debate is an honest and serious discussion about the strategic consequences of our long-term presence in Iraq.

This war prevents us from tackling nearly every serious threat we face, from a resurgent al-Qaeda in Afghanistan to a hostile Iranian regime intent on possessing nuclear weapons to the spread of extremist ideology around the world.

Instead of being distracted from the most pressing threats that we face, I will harness all elements of American power to overcome them. My first order as Commander in Chief will be to end the war in Iraq and refocus our efforts on Afghanistan and our broader security interests. Let me be clear--my plan would not abandon Iraq. It is in our strategic interest to maintain a residual force that will go after al-Qaeda, train Iraqi security forces and protect U.S. interests. But we must recognize that the central front in the war on terror is not in Iraq, and it never was. The central front is in Afghanistan and Pakistan. It is unacceptable that almost seven years after 9/11, those responsible for the attacks remain at large. If another attack on our homeland occurs, it will likely come from this same region where 9/11 was planned. Yet today we have five times more troops in Iraq than Afghanistan.

I will send at least two additional combat brigades to Afghanistan and use this commitment to seek greater contributions--with fewer restrictions--from NATO allies. I will focus on training Afghan security forces and supporting an Afghan judiciary. I will once and for all dismantle al-Qaeda and the Taliban. The solution in Afghanistan is not just military--it is political and economic. That is why I would also increase our nonmilitary aid by $1 billion. These resources should fund projects at the local level to impact ordinary Afghans, including the development of alternative livelihoods for poppy farmers. And we must demand better performance from the Afghan government through tough anticorruption safeguards on aid.

Edited by billay

You really should educate yourself.

You really should educate yourself.

Why, it is much more fun this way

I have no problem with him sending more troops to Afghanistan. It is one of the few things he's done so far that I actually agree with. We have a responsibility to clean up our mess both there and in Iraq.

Your credibility, such as it was, just took a nosedive. You have clearly not listened to anything that was said other than by the shrieking numskulls on Radio Blather.

My bad, as someone else pointed out and didn't take long for y'all to do lol - that's what I get for assuming. :ebmarrassed: But I did know/saw more than a few people who championed him because of the perception of troops coming home vs a shift from one place to another.

But anyway, pass the crow. Now about that Cutler thing.......

He's doing that Bush and company should of done years ago......

I will help him. The Iraq war is scheduled to end in August 2010. I learned this from Wikipedia. Didn't even need Fox News.

Which is longer than he originally campaigned on. Publicly released timetables are stupid anyway. I think he is at least trying to do the right thing in both Iraq in Afghanistan.

Are you feeling ok Perch?

Contrary to popular belief I'm not against Obama, just a majority of his policies, particularly his gross expansion of government, and what will eventually be a hugh tax increase or a bankrupt nation.

Which is longer than he originally campaigned on. Publicly released timetables are stupid anyway. I think he is at least trying to do the right thing in both Iraq in Afghanistan.

+1. Never have agreed with the timetable philosophy.