[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Raiders Goal Line Carries?

trrhyne

They said short yardage, not "goal line." Fanball dissected the difference in language earlier today. So it's not totally clear whether Crockett will vulture goal line carries or not. But if it's just a 4th and inches type of work in between the 20s, Crockett can have all he wants.

Edited by yo mama

Jordan always did a nice job when he got goal line duties in NY so I would think he will get the TD calls here..If not Id be pretty bummed because I think Jordan is going to be a stud this year.

I still don't get the LaMont Jordan hype.  I forsee mediocrity.  Remember how everybody was touting Kevin Barolw last year?

912909[/snapback]

I think the Raiders have a better O line than the 49ers..And I love the way Jordan runs.

Edit to add..The Raiders dont have an elite O line but better than the 49ers

Edited by whomper

I still don't get the LaMont Jordan hype.  I forsee mediocrity.  Remember how everybody was touting Kevin Barolw last year?

912909[/snapback]

Collins v. Rattay

Moss v. Lloyd

Porter v. Wilson

Gallery & Co. v. a bunch of homless guys

Turner v. Erickson

Barlow's mediocre 1034 combined yards and 7 TDs were largely attributable to a collective 49er offensive collapse, which allowed opposing DEFs to stack the box. Early leads were established against the Niners, which forced them to abandon the run. (Barlow only had 244 rushing attempts; 18th most in the NFL. But still less than the likes of W. Dunn, E. Smith, Bettis, and Droughns). And Barlow just wasn't LT2-special enough to carry the team by himself.

And maybe Jordan isn't either. But his supporting cast is a *tad* more talented, which means Jordan should have quite a bit more room to run, as DEFs cannot afford to stack the box on him. Morever, with all the offensive weapons at the Raiders' disposal, it is entirely possible that they will estalish leads early and often (assuming the DEF improves even a little) such that Jordan will get a fair amount of garbage time production.

Compare Barlow '04 to Jordan '05 at your own peril.

912909[/snapback]

kerry collins > dorsey/rattay

raiders ol > 49ers ol

moss > that one uuhh guy...name is on the tip of my tongue...

porter > lloyd

curry > conway

jolley < johnson (that might even change after this year...)

jordan = barlow?...even barlow would produce in this offense...even if not...I like jordan better anyways...and I didn't even like Barlow in the top 20 last year...Jordan, I like near my top 10 RB's...top 15 is more likely..

Collins v. Rattay

Moss v. Lloyd

Porter v. Wilson

Gallery & Co. v. a bunch of homless guys

Turner v. Erickson

Barlow's mediocre 1034 combined yards and 7 TDs were largely attributable to a collective 49er offensive collapse, which allowed opposing DEFs to stack the box.  Early leads were established against the Niners, which forced them to abandon the run.  (Barlow only had 244 rushing attempts; 18th most in the NFL.  But still less than the likes of W. Dunn, E. Smith, Bettis, and Droughns).  And Barlow just wasn't LT2-special enough to carry the team by himself.

And maybe Jordan isn't either.  But his supporting cast is a *tad* more talented, which means Jordan should have quite a bit more room to run, as DEFs cannot afford to stack the box on him.  Morever, with all the offensive weapons at the Raiders' disposal, it is entirely possible that they will estalish leads early and often (assuming the DEF improves even a little) such that Jordan will get a fair amount of garbage time production.

Compare Barlow '04 to Jordan '05 at your own peril.

912925[/snapback]

ahaha...great minds think alike?... :D

But the reality of the situation wasn't my point guys. Barlow was highly regarded going into last year. Now in retrospect its very clear to everybody exactly why Barlow wasn't the stud many people thought he would be. He had a great YPC.....if only he could get all the carries....blah,blah,blah

What will the rational be for why Jordan wasn't a world beater in the upcoming year?

Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa!!!!!! The comparisons to Barlow have got to stop. The reason Barlow struggled last year is because he is talented punk. Remember his fights with his FB and his O-Line?? Remember how his best friend on the team was T.O.??

Even though he had playing time spats with front office and coaches, Jordan is a no-nonsense team player, and was always respected and liked by his teammates in N.Y. Players would comment about how he was a guy that would do his thing and keep his mouth shut and let his running do the talking. Other than the fact that I personally think he's pretty talented, his attitude is the EXACT thing the Raiders need. Therefore I see pretty good things, one notch below stud. Rudi Johnson with more catches and touchdown opportunities, not Kevan Barlow.

---P.S. Barlow will be back. He has got to be embarrassed about last season. This year he's gonna get killed but as this offense starts to grow he could still be capable of good stats.

But the reality of the situation wasn't my point guys.  Barlow was highly regarded going into last year.  Now in retrospect its very clear to everybody exactly why Barlow wasn't the stud many people thought he would be.  He had a great YPC.....if only he could get all the carries....blah,blah,blah

What will the rational be for why Jordan wasn't a world beater in the upcoming year?

913017[/snapback]

he didn't play well?....I think we already stated the obvious...and Jordan is a clear-cut, no RBBC starter in an offense with Moss and Norv Turner as the HC who loves to run the ball...that alone should make him a top 15 back in the projections behind the players who are more of a sure-shot....

he didn't play well?....I think we already stated the obvious...and Jordan is a clear-cut, no RBBC starter in an offense with Moss and Norv Turner as the HC who loves to run the ball...that alone should make him a top 15 back in the projections behind the players who are more of a sure-shot....

913086[/snapback]

I agree Avernus, but again it comes down to who gets the goal line. I like Jordan, don't get me wrrong, but this smells a whole lot like Tampa Bay of days gone past.

I just don't see it. It isn't Turner's MO. Heck, Emmit, Stephen Davis and Ricky Williams got 99%+ of the carries when he was their coach/o-coord. Jordan is a good goal-line/short-yardage guy, and Turner LOVES workhorse backs. If Jordan is productive, he won't come off the field unless injured or HE decides he needs a blow, IMO.

I just don't see it.  It isn't Turner's MO.  Heck, Emmit, Stephen Davis and Ricky Williams got 99%+ of the carries when he was their coach/o-coord.  Jordan is a good goal-line/short-yardage guy, and Turner LOVES workhorse backs.  If Jordan is productive, he won't come off the field unless injured or HE decides he needs a blow, IMO.

913305[/snapback]

I agree, but let me ask you this....exactly how long have you been watching Al Davis....he goes thru "management" faster them I go thru underwear?

You are assuming your boy is in a "normal" system....and that has NEVER been the case.....well, for 30 years or so....

Al Davis has ALWAYS run that team and will until he dies. IMHO, it's not measurable in your terms...

Davis loves the long ball... Moss,Porter,Curry,Gabriel. Collins can deliver when he has his head into game.

(westvirginia @ 8/5/05 10:00pm)

I just don't see it.  It isn't Turner's MO.  Heck, Emmit, Stephen Davis and Ricky Williams got 99%+ of the carries when he was their coach/o-coord.  Jordan is a good goal-line/short-yardage guy, and Turner LOVES workhorse backs.  If Jordan is productive, he won't come off the field unless injured or HE decides he needs a blow, IMO.

Plus LT2's rookie year

IMO only reason you saw Crockett punching it in last year was Wheatley,Fargas, whomever couldn't do it. Zach was more reliable. If Jordan is successful, hopefully, then I'd put him a notch or 2 below Rudi.

if the Long ball can get them within the 5 yd. I think Davis could take the trade-off of Jordan punching it in.JMHO

Edited by boat_hacked

if the Long ball can get them within the 5 yd..........

913341[/snapback]

........then the best alley oop goal line threat the game has ever known, Moss, will get the last five.

What he doesn't get Porter or Curry will.

Jordan will get a crumb or two.

........then the best alley oop goal line threat the game has ever known, Moss, will get the last five.

Am I the only one that feels the pain of the sight?....you may be in Oakland or San Diego, but you better never lose site of Denver....I am the last one that wishes for an injury, but Moss will end the season in one if not two casts...This year puts the lid on the NFC fantasy of power, weight, and supposed dominace.

You guys must have hit the bottle hard last night while I was in bed... :D

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Jordan will be a TD machine because of all the other weapons on that offense. I see 10 or so TD's there.

The question, however, was who gets the goal-line work in Oakland and I can't see Crocket getting significant carries.

jolley < johnson (that might even change after this year...)

912927[/snapback]

FYI, Jolley was traded to the Jets. Oak's TEs are Teyo Johnson and Courtney Anderson.

I think you will see Zach vulture some short yardage carries and TDs, because, well, that's just what Zach does. But I still think Lamont Jordan is going to get 10 TDs or so.

BTW, don't EVEN compare the Raiders to last year's 49er offense. I don't think the Raiders have put that lame an offense on the fields since the very first years of the AFL...