[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which offenses will bite the big one?

Jackass

I think Dallas, Miami, and Baltimore will exceed expectations...

I think all three are improved...

Dallas brought in some much needed help on the offensive line, and Parcells Love child, Drew Bledsoe, plus a healthy Julius Jones for an entire season

Baltimore will have Jamal Lewis with no court or jail time looming over him, Boller has had another season under some great coaches, along with additions of Mark Clayton and Derrick Mason.

Miami-Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams as opposed to the dog fart runningbacks they had last year.

Are you asking who is going to be near the bottom half of the league in terms of Offense, or who will fail to exceed expectations?

I think that since there is zero expectations for the Giants they will exceed expectations. That puts them in about the middle of the pack.

I think Dallas, Miami, and Baltimore will exceed expectations...

I think all three are improved...

Dallas brought in some much needed help on the offensive line, and Parcells Love child, Drew Bledsoe, plus a healthy Julius Jones for an entire season

Baltimore will have Jamal Lewis with no court or jail time looming over him, Boller has had another season under some great coaches, along with additions of Mark Clayton and Derrick Mason.

Miami-Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams as opposed to the dog fart runningbacks they had last year.

Are you asking who is going to be near the bottom half of the league in terms of Offense, or who will fail to exceed expectations?

933170[/snapback]

2 somewhat different questions. who will really be awful, and who will do worse/better than most are projecting?

Edited by Jackass

I vote for the following teams to underachieve offensivly.

Broncos--I just don't think that the passing game will be that good. I think that their current RBBC setup will be ok, but not as good as last year and certainly not as good as when Portis was around.

Washington: OL is not looking good. Passing game is not looking good.

Cleveland: Because, well, they seem to find a way to limp along offensively every year.

Giants: They need somebody other than Tiki Barber who can catch the ball.

SF--Not really an underachiver, since nobody expects much from them, but still at the bottom of the NFL offensively.

Titans--They will miss Derrick Mason more than they think. I think McNair's injuries will finally catch up with him too.

Eagles--T.O. related risk here, and the lack of a really good feature back will hurt I think.

Jacksonville--Taylor and Jimmie Smith can't carry the offense. Leftwich runs hot and cold--I vote for more cold than hot this year.

SF, Chicago, Washington, Baltimore, Dallas, Miami, and the Giants look to have the worst offenses.  Any others?  Any teams that will either fail to meet, or possibly exceed expectations?

933129[/snapback]

SF and Chicago for sure. You forgot Cleveland. Baltimore, Dallas, Miami, and Washington are being underrated here.....

Washington's O Line will end up one of the best in the league this year. They brought in Casey Rabach at center--monster--and got Jansen back. Derrick Dockery is much improved at left guard and around 6'5" 340. Randy Thomas and Samuels on the other side are both former pro bowlers. And they have a lot of depth after the inury to Jansen last year caused a lot of rotation.

Well, I guess now that Grossman is out, the Bears will be struggling badly.

So yes, add the Bears.

933386[/snapback]

I dunno, I like the Blake pickup; T Jones showed he just might be legitimate last year + Cedric Benson should arrive at some point to give nice depth; Muhammad is a TREMENDOUS upgrade over last season at WR who might mesh very well with Blake, and they upgraded their offensive line.

I'm not going to call them an offensive juggernaut or anything, but they should move out of the bottom 1/4 of offenses.

I wouldn't write the Bears in this category, YET!!! 3 more preseason games, I like Blake, and the 'O' line, if healthy, is much improved over last year. If the 'O' can susstain some drives, the 'D' can hold it's own. That is key though.

Not to mention that the Bears 'O' has only one direction to go....and that is up! Too many people saw Grossman as a saviour. True they didn't go after a good vet QB in the offseason, but Blake ain't bad. JMHO.

I wouldn't write the Bears in this category, YET!!!  3 more preseason games, I like Blake, and the 'O' line, if healthy, is much improved over last year.  If the 'O' can susstain some drives, the 'D' can hold it's own.  That is key though.

Not to mention that the Bears 'O' has only one direction to go....and that is up!  Too many people saw Grossman as a saviour.  True they didn't go after a good vet QB in the offseason, but Blake ain't bad. JMHO.

933508[/snapback]

What makes you so sure Blake will even start?

Most likely because he's the only legit NFL QB on the stinkin' roster; Hutchinson plain sucks - if he gets ANY regular season starts, it will most likely be because Blake isn't up to game speed in Turner's offense.

Detroit will fail to meet the expectations.

933492[/snapback]

I agree; lots of talent, too much inexperience. K Jones is a very good back, but I don't think Harrington will be able to take full advantage of the WR corps, who have ? marks of their own - R Williams looks like the real deal, but M Williams is just a rook, C Rogers needs to stay healthy, and K Johnson and Pollard are probably washed up.

I think that since there is zero expectations for the Giants they will exceed expectations. That puts them in about the middle of the pack.

933181[/snapback]

Good point Kid. Jacobs looked good and we know what Tiki can do. Manning will only get better. Add Toomer and Plexiglass and they have a solid starting unit. I think they're poised to improve substantially.

As far as the Browns bashers out there (above posters), hey, they have no place to go except up. Albeit marginally, with Bryant, Northcutt, Edwards, RBBC Droughns, Suggs and Green, I think they'll improve. I've never been a Dilfer fan, but with Coleman and Andruzzi shoring up their woeful offensive line, maybe he won't have to throw lying on the ground like Couch and Garcia. JMO.

I agree; lots of talent, too much inexperience. K Jones is a very good back, but I don't think Harrington will be able to take full advantage of the WR corps, who have ? marks of their own - R Williams looks like the real deal, but M Williams is just a rook, C Rogers needs to stay healthy, and K Johnson and Pollard are probably washed up.

933563[/snapback]

I agree that Detroit may fail to live up to expectations. This will result from inflated expectations and mediocre performance. I'm not worried about RB/WR/TE; however, Harrington needs to perform, and I'm not confident in his ability to do so. Plus, the o-line needs to gel. I can see the Lions O struggling for the first 4-6 games. By that point, I'm hoping that the O-line gels and that either Harrington is playing well or Garcia is in.

Washington's O Line will end up one of the best in the league this year. They brought in Casey Rabach at center--monster--and got Jansen back. Derrick Dockery is much improved at left guard and around 6'5" 340. Randy Thomas and Samuels on the other side are both former pro bowlers. And they have a lot of depth after the inury to Jansen last year caused a lot of rotation.

933385[/snapback]

Who is Portis' immediate back up? Betts? I see good things for Portis this year but I also expect an injury so I need handcuffing info. Thanks homer.

Without a doubt SF is the number one team with the worst offense. Chicago is another team. They haven't established a quaterback and the lack of good receivers, except Muhsin Muhammad. They could just as bad. The team that is going to improve for sure is the Giants. Eli has a little more experience and now with the addition of Plaxico Burress it should give him another good option to throw to. This year Eli could have a decent year and maybe give some hope to the Giants.

Who is Portis' immediate back up? Betts?  I see good things for Portis this year but I also expect an injury so I need handcuffing info.  Thanks homer.

933638[/snapback]

It is Betts and Gibbs likes him a lot. There is a fight between Rock Cartwright and Nemo something or other (huge 250 pound RB) for 3d tailback. It is up in the air right now and they may keep both. I just picked up Betts in a deep league as a 4th or 5th RB just in case. Even if Portis stays healthy Betts will even get in a little as a change of pace back. But remember Portis had more carries last year (around 350, I believe) than he ever did as a Bronco and had 1300 plus yards. All he needs is a little uptick on yards per carry and some more red zone success and he is a 1500 rushing yard double digit TD back again. Portis had 7 total TDs last year and I think he could double that. He has the talent and now the question is whether Gibbs, Bugel, Musgrave (the new West Coach QB coach), Ramsey and Santana can do more with the rest of the offense to open it up for him.

I am a homer, but I am pretty optimistic the whole offense improves because of better line play and QB play which will lead to Portis getting loose.

It is Betts and Gibbs likes him a lot. There is a fight between Rock Cartwright and Nemo something or other (huge 250 pound RB) for 3d tailback. It is up in the air right now and they may keep both. I just picked up Betts in a deep league as a 4th or 5th RB just in case. Even if Portis stays healthy Betts will even get in a little as a change of pace back. But remember Portis had more carries last year (around 350, I believe) than he ever did as a Bronco and had 1300 plus yards. All he needs is a little uptick on yards per carry and some more red zone success and he is a 1500 rushing yard double digit TD back again. Portis had 7 total TDs last year and I think he could double that. He has the talent and now the question is whether Gibbs, Bugel, Musgrave (the new West Coach QB coach), Ramsey and Santana can do more with the rest of the offense to open it up for him.

I am a homer, but I am pretty optimistic the whole offense improves because of better line play and QB play which will lead to Portis getting loose.

933782[/snapback]

I'm a Dallas homer and I generally agree with both of foreskins assessments of his team in this post. With no o-line and no help at all Portis was a top-12 back, IIRC. I look for 1800 total yards and 12-14 total TD's this year from him.