[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

C. Benson visited Bears today!

Wolverines Fan

Guys, I don't have a link for this, but I hope you will take my word for it.

According to ESPN Radio 1000 in Chicago, Cedric Benson visited the Bears' Lake Forest Headquarters for a one-on-one sit down meeting with GM Jerry Angelo sometime on Thursday. Apparently, Benson's agent was not present at the meeting. They did not say how long the meeting lasted or if there will be another one. No, they don't know whether Benson left town.

I don't know if this means something is up regarding Benson, but I just thought I would throw it out there.

Meeting Notes:

Benson "How bout you slide me 500k under tha table and we call it done?"

Angelo "I'm mafia all the way, but that ain't happenin!"

Benson "250?"

Angelo "Thomas Jones?"

Benson "Can we work somethin out?"

Angelo "You're not Phillip Rivers"

Benson "Who?"

Angelo "Get out."

I really hope he signs. But....A friend of mine, no link, said he heard on the Score that even his agent doesn't have 'control' over him (Cedric). Supposedly Benson has an entourage of people 'advising' him. This entourage is made up of friends and family. No...I'm not making a judgement call here. FWIW.

He was accompanied by Brian Peters, who is one of Benson's personal advisors. The meeting took place this morning, and it was set up by Peters, not the Bears.

There is virtually no information coming out of the Bears camp regarding this, so it's still anybody's guess.

Bears, Benson hold impromptu meeting Thursday

By Larry Mayer

August 25, 2005

LAKE FOREST, Ill. - Unsigned first-round pick Cedric Benson showed up at Halas Hall with advisor Brian Peters around noon Thursday for an impromptu meeting with general manager Jerry Angelo.

The Bears selected running back Cedric Benson with the fourth overall pick in the draft.

Benson wanted to speak to Angelo in person. The meeting was cordial but no negotiations took place. Benson's agent, Eugene Parker, knew about the gathering but was not present.

Benson, whose contract holdout entered its 33rd day Thursday, is the NFL's only unsigned first-round draft pick. He spent only about 30 minutes at Halas Hall Thursday and did not meet with team president and CEO Ted Phillips, coach Lovie Smith or contract negotiator Cliff Stein.

Last week, general manager Jerry Angelo issued a statement indicating that the Bears had made their "best and final offer" to Benson, the fourth overall pick in the draft.

Thursday's visit marked the first time that Benson was involved in a meeting during his holdout.

http://chicagobears.com/news/newsDetail.jsp?id=10138

Is it really possible that he sits out the whole year? Seriously, is it?

948231[/snapback]

Possible? Sure - by this point anything is possible. There are even rumors, for what it is worth, that he bought a house in CHI and now has it on the market for sale. Who knows - Owens was an idiot but at least he had done something before. Benson has done nothing in the NFL yet. He should sign, take his $17 million, and then if in a year or two he still thinks he is "all that", hold out then. But this is getting not only ridiculous, it is almost without precedent.

The last player to holdout the entire year was Kelly Stouffer in 1987 I think. It really helped him too.

The one thing we can say for certain is that the Bears are slapping themselves for drafting Benson over Aaron Rodgers right now.  :D

948354[/snapback]

Maybe so but Kyle Orton has looked pretty good so far and he may end up being a better player.

Maybe so but Kyle Orton has looked pretty good so far and he may end up being a better player.

948363[/snapback]

Yeah, he really shined against those second- and third-string defenses.

People who think that Kyle Orton is some sort of super-sleeper never watched him play in college. There's a reason that he wasn't drafted early.

People who think that Kyle Orton is some sort of super-sleeper never watched him play in college.  There's a reason that he wasn't drafted early.

948371[/snapback]

On this, Bill and I agree. Orton is not the answer. He's a career back-up.

Possible? Sure - by this point anything is possible. There are even rumors, for what it is worth, that he bought a house in CHI and now has it on the market for sale. Who knows - Owens was an idiot but at least he had done something before. Benson has done nothing in the NFL yet. He should sign, take his $17 million, and then if in a year or two he still thinks he is "all that", hold out then. But this is getting not only ridiculous, it is almost without precedent.

The last player to holdout the entire year was Kelly Stouffer in 1987 I think. It really helped him too.

948358[/snapback]

Those rumors also indicate Benson had two of his cars shipped back to Texas (yee-haa!), where he is from.

People who think that Kyle Orton is some sort of super-sleeper never watched him play in college.  There's a reason that he wasn't drafted early.

948371[/snapback]

He looked good the first half of last season before he got injured. Then handled the situation well after his coach basically threw him under the bus. But you're right, Rodgers has really shined so far against scrub defenses this pre-season. :D

He looked good the first half of last season before he got injured. Then handled the situation well after his coach basically threw him under the bus.  But you're right, Rodgers has really shined so far against scrub defenses this pre-season. :D

948376[/snapback]

Coaches tend to bench quarterbacks that complete passes to defensive backs, rather than their own receivers.

For the sake of the Bears, I hope that I'm wrong about Orton. But don't tell me I didn't warn you.

Coaches tend to bench quarterbacks that complete passes to defensive backs, rather than their own receivers.

For the sake of the Bears, I hope that I'm wrong about Orton.  But don't tell me I didn't warn you.

948390[/snapback]

I didn't imply that he was going to be great or anything, simply that I thought that he could end up just as good as Rodgers.

The Chicago Tribune had an article this morning about Kelly Stouffer the other rookie holdout like DMD said that sat out the whole year for the Cardinals. He said,

"In my case the Cardinals weren't even abiding by the slotting system and we couldn't even get them to meet us in the middle," Stouffer said. "Cedric has to understand the system is what it is. He was the second running back taken, so if what he's being offered is close to being between what the first one and third one taken got, I'd get to camp."

Someone with experience said it. The only other one. He needs to get to camp. It is too bad for the bears they just can't catch a break. With such a talented, young defense they could have been something special. At least that is what a very sad homer wants to think.

948358[/snapback]

I guess all these first round draft picks get an advance on their line of credit for possible mortgages and cars, etc. Most of these notes end up being due on August 1st, the estimate when most of these players will have already been paid.

He really has no choice but to put all this stuff that really isn't his up on the market. As a matter of fact, these posessions aren't even his, they are actually the property of the jamokes that give the line of credit in the first place.

The one thing we can say for certain is that the Bears are slapping themselves for drafting Benson over Aaron Rodgers right now.  :D

948354[/snapback]

True.

On this, Bill and I agree.  Orton is not the answer.  He's a career back-up.

948372[/snapback]

I think it's a little early for that theory, but so is the theory that he the next coming. In Chicago and probably most NFL cities is the thought that the most popular player on the team is the BU QB! Give the kid some time. I'll bet he's better than the Bears last several QB picks, but I can wait. Hell, I've been waitin' for 10+....20+.......years for the Bears to have a good, not great, but good QB! :D Let's not discuss McMahon...OK?