[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Benson SIGNS !

DMD

Running back Cedric Benson ended his 36-day holdout Sunday night, agreeing to a five-year contract with the Chicago Bears.

Benson, the No. 4 overall pick in this year's draft, was the last remaining first-round pick to sign. Terms were not available but reports said the Bears had offered a contract that contained $17 million in guaranteed money to the former Texas star.

The announcement of Benson's agreeing to terms came on the same day the Bears promoted another rookie, fourth-round pick Kyle Orton, to be the starting quarterback.

Earlier this month, Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said the team had made its final offer to Benson and that future negotiations would be centered on how much Benson's value had been reduced by the holdout.

Benson paid a surprise visit to the Bears training facility on Thursday and talked with Angelo, although it was not a negotiating session and his agent, Eugene Parker, was not present.

"We are happy this process has reached a conclusion and look forward to moving ahead together," Angelo said in a statement Sunday night.

Benson was a four-year starter at Texas and finished his career as the sixth-leading rusher in NCAA Division I-A history and the second-leading rusher in Longhorns history. In 49 games, he rushed for 5,540 yards on 1,112 carries with 64 TDs and caught 69 passes for 621 yards and three TDs.

Benson was just the fifth back in NCAA history to rush for over 1,000 yards in each of his four seasons. His 64 TDs were the third-most in NCAA history.

He was expected to challenge incumbent Thomas Jones for playing time. The Bears have one preseason game remainining Thursday before starting the regular season in Washington on Sept. 11. 

Whew.....

There are likely a lot of people who drafted him much deeper than he should have been who are happy now. Less so those who took Jones and not Benson...

I'm not a big fan of drafting rookie RBs because they usually take atleast 4-5 weeks to see significant time AND be effective. So you can't really count on them to be your RB3/flex for a good chunk of the season. I guess you can pull it off if you have a solid starting RB tandem, a WR to use in the flex position while the rooks grow up, and enough confidence in the player+system+team.

Ced-Ben's out of consideration for me personally, unless of course he free-falls; which I doubt.

Edited by Glabra

There are likely a lot of people who drafted him much deeper than he should have been who are happy now. Less so those who took Jones and not Benson...

953692[/snapback]

My 16 team draft was last night. He went 69th overall. I almost took him in the 4th round. I went RB, RB, WR, WR.

Bear down, Chicago Bears,

Make every play clear the way to victory.

Put up a fight with a might so fearlessly.

We'll never forget the way you thrilled the nation,

With your T-formation.

And let them know why you're wearing the crown.

You're the pride and joy of Illinois,

Chicago Bears, bear down.

- - - by Al Hoffman (Jerry Downs), 1941

:D:D:D

Well now that Caddy,Brown,Benson and Arrington are all set to get in the starting line up, who will be the most sought after rb, of this group, by seasons end?

I have to go with Benson, Brown, Arrington and Caddy in that order. Any thoughts.

953720[/snapback]

I'd say Caddy leads the pack followed by Arrington.

Well now that Caddy,Brown,Benson and Arrington are all set to get in the starting line up, who will be the most sought after rb, of this group, by seasons end?

I have to go with Benson, Brown, Arrington and Caddy in that order. Any thoughts.

953720[/snapback]

Just the opposite, actually. Caddy's gonna get the most action and will do the most with that action. Arrington is gonna be busy. Brown will be busy at first, but who knows what Ricky's return will do. And Benson has missed tons of camp, may not even start (how do we know he's actually gonna start? Just cuz he signed? So what!?!) ... not only that, but he has a more than competent Thomas Jones ahead of him... and will face 8 or 9 in the box when/if he does play.

This public service message brought to you by the proud owner of Thomas Jones in two leagues. One that drafted yesterday. :D

I'd say Caddy leads the pack followed by Arrington.

953726[/snapback]

I agree Arrington or Caddy will lead this season with stats, but who do you think will be more sought after by the end of the year for next season's draft. Who will prove to be the best back of the group.

I agree Arrington or Caddy will lead this season with stats, but who do you think will be more sought after by the end of the year for next season's draft. Who will prove to be the best back of the group.

953745[/snapback]

What do you want me to say? :D

Longterm, Caddy or Benson may turn out to be the best. Just not high on Benson and Brown right now because of the crappy offenses around them. Additionally, with Brown, he's a bit unproven IMO, not having played a full season as starter in college. Harder to project him.

953745[/snapback]

This season hasn't started and you're already thinking about next? :D

It's so hard to say. Injuries, trades, etc... too hard to predict.

On paper, I would still say Caddy's the best short and longer term. Benson may have good value next season if they can find a competent QB and address other offensive issues.

This season hasn't started and you're already thinking about next?  :D

953756[/snapback]

One must in a keeper league setting. :D I was thinking about dealing R.Brown for Benson, since i am deep at RB and think he has more potential long term in Chicago.

With your T-formation.

:D  :D  :D

953724[/snapback]

:D:D:D:D:D:D:yay::yay::fool:

I think it will take Benson about 3-4 weeks to get the blocking assignments and other schemes and thing before he will play.

With your T-formation.

:D  :D  :D

953724[/snapback]

I hope! Good thang.....But what week do you think he'll start?

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :yay:  :yay:  :fool:

I think it will take Benson about 3-4 weeks to get the blocking assignments and other schemes and thing before he will play.

953772[/snapback]

Blocking is his short suit. For those that drafted him late....definite keeper. For those that drafted him early....:hoping/wishinggraemlin:

JMHO

The sub-title to this thread might be: Thomas Jones owners hurl themselves into stake-filled pits.

953665[/snapback]

absolutely hilarious :D:D

Big John, edit the title please

Edited by CaptainHook