[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Communicating of league rule changes

MothAudio

How do you, or your league, address new rule changes from one year to the next? Does the Commish 1>. identify [highlight] each specific change. 2> report that changes have been made and expect each owner to look up the changes themselves. 3> say nothing about whether changes were made?

And if option 2 was used what is your opinion of that? Is this in your opinion acceptable or deceitful behavior from the Commish?

I have never been in a league where the commish regulary makes changes unilaterally. And rule changes should require league consent (with an exception if an unusual situation occurs and there is not time for the league to consider)

If the commish does it unilaterally, option 1 would be the only one even close to acceptable. The others are either deceitful or have the appearance of being deceitful.

If the commish does it unilaterally, option 1 would be the only one even close to acceptable.  The others are either deceitful or have the appearance of being deceitful.

981246[/snapback]

Ditto ... especially if by "rule changes" you mean something as significant as changes to the scoring system.

I am indeed the Commish in question. I made the following changes to our league. I added a 2nd QB, I left passing yardage at the default number, I reduced passing tds to four points, added PPR and added points for yardage / tds for the kicking team. After I setup our league I sent out an email to everyone stating that changes were made [but didn't highlight what they were] and asked everyone to read them and report back to me if they wanted to change anything. This was about 6 weeks before our draft so people had ample time.

Let me add that this is only my 3rd year in FF and 2nd as Commish of the "Office Pool" I started. I'm no expert and appreciate any insight from more experienced members on this subject. Next year I'll be sure to discuss any changes with our owners before we setup the league. Though in my limited experience, not once has a Commish done this in other leagues I participated. I'm not sure if they even mentioned that they tweaked the rules and one even made a minor defensive scoring adjustment AFTER the draft!

Edited by MothAudio

If its a big change take a poll and ask for a majority vote. If its a minor change mention it to the group, or e-mail noting the change, but ask for comments if anyone has an opinion.

Commissioners who do number 3 have a hard time fielding a regular group of owners year after year.

I could have but no other Commish has ever done that for me. They expected me to read the rules which I don't think is too much to ask. Isn't rule number 1 to know your league rules? The commish has responsibilites but shouldn't the owners be responsible and at least read the rules especially when prompted to? I told them rules had changed and asked for feedback on that ["nothing was written in stone"]. Honestly, I don't feel bad or that I did anything wrong. I'm the commish not their mother! Though like I said above I appreciate insight from our more experienced members and will certainly consider their suggestions for next season. Spelling everything out would have been the safer route but I also feel that laziness shouldn't be rewarded. Those that actually followed my advice and looked into the league settings were certainly at an advantage over those [if any] that didn't. I kind of like that approach also. We're men, not children.

Edited by MothAudio

#1. We have a league-wide vote on ANY rule change.

#2. Rule changes within 30 days of the start of a season, do not apply to that season. They go into effect the following year.

#3. I'm the commish, if I tried to just make a rule change, and not tell anyone, I'd get whacked.

Not sure just how your email was worded, but something like this might have been appropriate:

There have been significant changes made to the league scoring system that will be effective this season ... summarized, these changes include:

- additional starting QB position

- reduction in passing TD point value

- points will be awarded per catch

- change in special teams scoring

Each owner should visit the league website at xxx.xxx prior to draft day for details.

Not sure just how your email was worded, but something like this might have been appropriate:

There have been significant changes made to the league scoring system that will be effective this season ... summarized, these changes include:

- additional starting QB position

- reduction in passing TD point value

- points will be awarded per catch

- change in special teams scoring

Each owner should visit the league website at xxx.xxx prior to draft day for details.

981419[/snapback]

If the commish is allowed to make unilateral changes in the rules, then he should announce them as ts has outlined above.

(Don't take offense to this, Moth, you asked for our opinions and we are giving them to you. No one is suggesting that you did what you did to be deceptive, but it certainly would have been more helpful to the rest of the owners to have been more specific about what the changes were.)

TS, I like THAT. Here's the 1st email I sent everyone in our league>

"07/09/05 4:15 p.m. Everyone seems to agree that we should have our draft in person rather than on-line. Let's try to do that around the middle of August. We could meet after work at a local restaurant/bar. I'll be in touch to coordinate a conventiant time/date for everyone.

I would suggest that everyone review the LEAGUE SETTINGS as I've made some changes from last season. Nothing is written in stone yet so if you have suggestions speak up now! The fee to play is $30 which must be paided in full BEFORE the draft. We'll decide the draft order when we meet.

The only rule I have is NO WHINNING. I realize that most of us were new at this last year and that mistakes were made. So, as to not have a repeat this year's rules and expectations will be better defined.

We have room for one [1] more owner, does anyone have a suggestion for who we should invite?"

My email was quite vague. Only that changes were made w/o specific mention of what those changes were. Seeing that my goal was too minimize any whinning this year I should have spelled everything out... just to cover my ass. But I'm new at this. Thanks for the suggestion!

>>(Don't take offense to this, Moth, you asked for our opinions and we are giving them to you. No one is suggesting that you did what you did to be deceptive, but it certainly would have been more helpful to the rest of the owners to have been more specific about what the changes were.) <<

Absolutely none taken sir! I asked for your opinions because I want to do my job better. This is only my 2nd year as commish, so I'm still learning. Let me add that this is a private league with the guys I work with. We see each other every day, we talk about this stuff all the time. While my email wasn't spelled out we had casual conversation on these very topics numerous times. Stiil, I was suprized [given our scoring system] that Manning and Culpepper went one, two in our draft. Our league places more importance on RBs which was discussed numerous times. Yet, some people still felt that wasn't the case. Does that mean I did a poor job of reporting the new rules or does that make them stupid for drafting QBs so high?

Absolutely none taken sir! I asked for your opinions because I want to do my job better. This is only my 2nd year as commish, so I'm still learning. Let me add that this is a private league with the guys I work with. We see each other every day, we talk about this stuff all the time. While my email wasn't spelled out we had casual conversation on these very topics numerous times. Stiil, I was suprized [given our scoring system] that Manning and Culpepper went one, two in our draft. Our league places more importance on RBs which was discussed numerous times. Yet, some people still felt that wasn't the case. Does that mean I did a poor job of reporting the new rules or does that make them stupid for drafting QBs so high?

981457[/snapback]

I'm not so sure the guys who took the QB's were all that stupid. One of the reasons RB's are so valuable is you usually start more of them than QB's. Changing the starting requirements to 2 QB's is a pretty significant change and definately should have been voted on or openly discussed (not casually). I think the guys who took the QB's early, if they were smart during the rest of the draft could have a big advantage. Especially if they went after a #2 early also. JMHO

>> I think the guys who took the QB's early, if they were smart during the rest of the draft could have a big advantage. Especially if they went after a #2 early also. JMHO<<

I really don't think so. I think Rbs will be huge and QBs not very important. But that's just my gut feeling as I've never played with these rules before. We'll see, it should be fun to watch how things develop. The guy with Manning and Collins thinks he's the best while I like the dude with LT, DD, R.Johnson, S.Jackson and M.Anderson!

In the league I am the commissioner of we actually have guidelines regarding rules changes.

After the last game of the Fantasy Season is over, week 17 of the NFL Season, until April 1st owners can submit proposals for Rule Changes. As the commissioner I compile these prosposals into a list and I add to that list any of my own proposals that I would like to see changed and/or added. I contact the owners who submitted each proposal to make sure I understand what they meant and on April 15th I send out an email with an itemized list of all of the proposals to all of the owners in the league.

They then have until, June 1st to reply with a vote of either approve or disapprove on each individual proposal.

All proposals that receive 7 Approvals out of the 12 owners become effective the next season, all others do not. They can, however be re-submitted as soon as the next season is over.

Then after the votes are in I add the changes to the rules page on the web site and I send out another email containing the approved changes no later than June 15 which is exactly 8 weeks to the day before we have to declare keepers and by this time the owners have seen the proposals and the new rules both.

At that point they are on their own to remember them.

But I can not arbitrarily change any rule without it being voted on by the league.

Our league is a bit more casual but that is an excellent idea. Though some of the guys in my "work league" think I'm too anal as it is and they grow weary of my numerous emails and reminders. Yet, the minute I relax someone I'm sure will find something to lady dog about!!!

I would not participate in a league where the commissioner had unilateral authority over the rules. Rules changes should be voted on and approved by the membership.

I am the long time commissioner of my local league and every year I propose rule changes. Pushed for a TE for years before finally getting it approved this year.

After the rule has been approved I send a note to the league explaining the rule change.

Before the draft I send out a summary of all the rule changes with a new copy of the updated rules. Rule changes in red.

Agree with the others. Remember, this isn't "your" league. In order for a league to have long term success, EVERY decision has to be made with input from everyone.

That way when the whining does start happening, as commish you have already done your job making sure the whole league was involved from the beginning regarding everything.

I've been a commish in my local for about 6 years now, and my approach has always been this:

1. My job is to ensure there is a level and fair playing field for all owners.

2. I do not "rule" the league. All I do is facilitate the league.

3. I communicate EVERY move, spelled out as detailed as possible, and make sure everyone knows it. That means repeated emails, phone calls, follow up emails, etc. That way nobody can EVER accuse you of misinformation. My defense always is: "I communicated with everyone, didn't hear any objections, and proceeded. Do you feel I need to make a special concession for YOU?"

4. I am not afraid to make a decision I feel is best for the league. You can't please everyone, and as long as your decisions are fair for all, you have no problems.

And if you get too much whining, my answer to someone complaining is this:

"That's fine. You can be commish next year."

Works every time. :D:D